Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 28, 2006

Old     (bkoz)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-23-2006, 7:57 AM Reply   
Im looking at buying a set of tower speakers and cans. Cant afford the pro audio stuff so for now im looking at somthing decent and I like the Polk DB 650 6.5's after looking through old posts on this board. They're rated at 60 watts rms max, thats each right? I also looked at the Audiobahns and they're rated at 100 watts rms ea. Im gonna be buying an amp for the tower speakers, wouldnt it be better to get a 2X100 watt amp and the Audiobahns rather than a 2X50 watt and the Polks?
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-23-2006, 11:17 AM Reply   
2X50 would be very hard to hear behind the boat and thats not even taking into account if its actually running. You definitely need more power then that. Id say either the audiobahns or the infinity kappas I think are rated to 110 watts rms each. Then make sure you have a good clean 150 watts rms for each. You can turn the gain back some but dont skimp on power or youll tend to turn it up into the distortion area, cooking the voice coils of the speakers.
Old     (bkoz)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-23-2006, 12:28 PM Reply   
Thanks for the input. Im not expecting to here the music while riding from what ive read searching this board. Id just like to have some good clean sound around the boat while swimming or hanging out on the beach. Im leaning towards the Audiobahns and a 2 channel amp for them.
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-23-2006, 1:37 PM Reply   
i bought the polk mmc650's and db1000's

i haven't installed them yet though. i've heard and read good things about the mmc650's and i like the looks of them and that the baskets are carbon fiber. if they're good enough for nautique ;) then they're good enough for me. i would think you'll probably hear from some nautique owners shortly.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       01-23-2006, 1:53 PM Reply   
I've had these in my supra for abotu 6 months...no complaints...and they have held up great for the amoutn of water tha gets dripped on them or from rain.

Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-23-2006, 1:55 PM Reply   
I changed my Clarions to Polk Momo's but I got the MMC6500 not MMC650.MMC6500 take 120rms and sound awsome but that is for the interior of my boat NOT the tower.

There is only a few tower set-up that you can actually hear when riding and they are going to cost you,otherwise just save your money.IMO
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-23-2006, 2:05 PM Reply   
so you're happy with the component set huh? right on. the coaxial version takes 80w continuous, and that's just fine with me. i wanted to have tweeters in the rear as well so the coaxial's made the most sense for me and i'm pretty sure the db1000's i got are the tweeter component part of your kit. i can't wait to fire them up. i'm going to be running them with just a 4x40 watt rms soundstream amp and then adding a dedicated jl mono block amp for my jl 10" sub. gosh i wish it was spring. :-)
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-23-2006, 2:09 PM Reply   
ohhh, maybe not, looks like you got better tweeters. bummer. ah well it should still sound WAY better than it does today. i bet it's just the grill. ;)

(Message edited by brucemac on January 23, 2006)
Old     (bkoz)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-23-2006, 2:43 PM Reply   
Ed, im not looking to here them while riding just while hanging out behind/around the boat and on the beach with the boat anchored bow out. I figure if I put somthing decent up on the tower with a good amp it will be easyer to here with less volume than it would be to here speakers that are inside the boat? After looking into the Audiobahns a little more I here they're junk so im gonna just get the Polk DB650's instead and run a 65X2 (rms) amp to them. Think that'll work?
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-23-2006, 5:57 PM Reply   
Byron,if that is the case.....have you considered 6x9???

I think that they might work better for what you are looking for.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       01-23-2006, 6:19 PM Reply   
Most of the guys on this board will agree that 6x9's are one of the better tower solutions. There was a thread a while back where one of the pro-installers mentioned he preferred six 6.5's over four 6x9s. In this configuration getting an amp can become an issue. I put a single pair of Polk db675's on a buddies tower. I can't hear them while riding but they rival most new boat factory offerrings. From a cost standpoint they are pretty tough to beat. There are also a few industrious individuals that have made pretty nice cans out of 6" PVC pipe couplings/ends. I think the od of the fittings is pretty close? You could probably be into a decent of diy tower speaks for under $200 and some elbow grease, maybe $300 for four.

One thing to keep in mind... The Polk's are quite bright, you will want to match the tonal characteristics between your boat speakers and tower speakers so you don't have to change EQ settings when switching between listening modes.
Old     (supratweaked)      Join Date: Aug 2005       01-23-2006, 6:58 PM Reply   
Adam, You better not be letting that Supra get rained on!
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-23-2006, 10:41 PM Reply   
Mikeski,I think Grant will say different?

I believe he is a 6x9 lover and for a good reason.I would think that 4-6x9 would blow 6-6.5 away but that is just the experience I had.
Old     (bkoz)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-24-2006, 8:04 AM Reply   
Yeah Ed I have thought about the 6X9's but for the reason Mikeski mentioned (DIY cans) im going to have to use the 6.5's. I just bought the boat then had to buy a tower and racks, plus the boat had no system in it at all so im having to start from scratch there as well so im on a bit of a budget. Since im a Plumber by trade it was an easy decision when I saw the DIY deal so ive allready made up 4 of the cans outa PVC and ordered a set of clamps on line. Im filling the seam with bondo then primer and paint so they at least look decent. Dont know if i'll use 2 or 4 but I had the supplies so what the hey. A freind of mine is running Defcons? on his tower and you can here them great, so this will be an upgrade for me in the next year or so. Thank you guys for the imput I appritiate it.