Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 05, 2009

Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-03-2009, 10:32 AM Reply   
Well, I am looking at getting a new board. I want something with zero pop, super hard landings, aweful tracking, and really heavy. Any suggestions?
I have also been looking at Ronix boards. I think I am fairly set on the Ibex, but I am having trouble with the boots. I currently ride O'Brien Links and I am guessing that the 09 Reliks will be about the same stiffness, but I dont know how the Links rate for stiffness compared to the Ronix boots. Anyone have any experience here? I also wanted to make sure I have my facts straight. 09 boards have a new spacing pattern for binding holes, making 08 boards difficult to match with 09 boots. Correct?
Thanks for any input.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-03-2009, 11:42 AM Reply   
Huh?
Old     (ronix_one)      Join Date: Mar 2007       01-03-2009, 11:55 AM Reply   
Is that a serious question?

(Message edited by ronix_one on January 03, 2009)
Old    sdahockey21            01-03-2009, 12:04 PM Reply   
As far as boots go, this is how the Ronix stuff Generally lines up

Reliks - Most flexible boot in the Ronix lineup, somewhat of a lower cut.

Ones - Not to stiff not to flexible. Basically right in between the cells and the Reliks.

Cells - Stiffest boot in the Ronix lineup.

Hole Patterns 09 vs 08

As you have pointed out there is a new hole pattern width, 7inches, (previously 8 inches) on the 09 Ronix boards. And the 09 boots now have a 6 inch base (previously a 8 inch base). However, this does not mean that 09 boots are "difficult" to put on an 08, 07, or any other 8 inch hole width board. All the pro model Ronix boots come with aluminum spacers which allow them to be mounted on any 08, 07, or any other 8 inch hole width. All the 09 Ronix boot boxes come with an easy to understand diagram that explains this even more.
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-03-2009, 12:18 PM Reply   
Sorry, I was messing around with the first part. Having a little fun with the usual "new board" post.
I have read about the boots, but I want a reference as to how stiff "stiff" really is. I dont know where my current bindings fit into that scale, so thats really what I am looking for. Thank you for the clarification on the board/boot compatability, I was unclear as I have heard that you cant put the new boots at the widest stance setting on older boards (or maybe it is the other way around?).
Old    sdahockey21            01-03-2009, 2:17 PM Reply   
Ok here is the thing with the boots for 09.

**please read carefully**

Yes it is indeed true that you can not *mount* 09 boots on the outer most hole on regular 8 inch boards *HOWEVER* this does not matter, because:

With the 07 and 08 Boots the boot holes were essentially 2 inches away from the boot on each side making the overall plate 8 inches boot hole to boot hole.

Basically what Ronix did for 09 is they moved those boot holes closer to the boot. The boot holes are now essentially 1 inch away from the boot on each side. Making the plate 6 inches boot hole to boot hole.

Therefore if you want to ride "all the way out" (4th insert) on an 8 inch board, you would actually end up riding the 3rd hole on an 8 inch board with 09 ronix boots because the boot hole is 1 inch closer to the boot. Your boots are still in the same position, you are just locking into a closer insert, making it appear as if you are not actually riding all the way out like you used to. Again, the actual binding is in the same place just an inch less plate on either side so it opens up a hole that would normally be covered by the extra inch of plate. Simple.

(Message edited by sdahockey21 on January 03, 2009)
Old     (cbk)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-03-2009, 6:21 PM Reply   
Nice explanation Sam.