Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 02, 2007

Old     (crracer)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-12-2007, 9:00 PM Reply   
Hey WW,
Some friends and I have decided to abandon the lavish life of 90 foot triple decker house boats and rough it this year we r heading out for bro stock but we r getting there early on the June 2nd. We have one SAN going with about 8 people for a total of 7 to 8 days on the water. We are going to camp in tents. Anyone have any suggestions that would minimize the number of trips to and from the marina (which would probably be Wahweap) We are going to break our food down into 4-two day coolers and freeze almost everything that will be put in them ahead of time. I figure if we tape em shut, burry them a bit in the cooler sand and don’t open them till the day they are meant for, then everything should keep??? As far as gas goes we are figuring about 6 tanks of gas? Does anyone know how much a gallon of 87 and 89 goes for on the water? Also can you transport 5-gallon containers to and from the marina? Last question I've been going for the last 10 years to Powell but I can’t remember for the life of me if there is cell service near cookie jar or just outside the narrows in the main channel
Thanks in advance
Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       05-12-2007, 10:08 PM Reply   
Chris,
I cant tell you much in terms of freezing food and burying in sand. Gas is probably about $4.00 on the water right now. go to wayneswords.com and there is a link in the menu to local gas prices at each marina. Yes you can ransport 5 gallon gas cans.
Cell service is best in Warm Creek Bay. I had wireless internet service in there as well. Antelope Marina only really has drinks as far as food goes, but if you park a car at the Antelope Ramp you can always run in to town real quick to get the necessaties.
Have fun. I will be there June 19th - 26th.
Old     (crracer)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-13-2007, 8:59 AM Reply   
Awesome Thanks
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       05-13-2007, 10:01 AM Reply   
dry ice goes on the bottom of the cooler and keeps stuff frozen. I will also be there Jun 19th.

Brostock huh? I thought you were a CWB man.
Old    bocephus            05-13-2007, 2:07 PM Reply   
You can easily keep your food cold if you use a decent quality cooler and duct tape it closed. I used work for Western River Expeditions and we would have ice cream on the fifth night out in the Grand Canyon simply by keeping the lid closed and duct taped. Dry ice is good too, and provides some good fun on the last day of trip...
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-13-2007, 11:20 PM Reply   
in addition to burying the ice chest in sand i would keep some kind of consistent shade cover on it too. The sun can heat that sand to foot-cooking temperatures by noon and earlier (as i am sure you know with the lake Powell knowledge that you evidently have.

I am from Page Arizona (though currently living in Provo UT) so if you have any questions about Page email me (wakerider111@yahoo.com)
If you have not been to page in the past year and 1/2 it may be good to know that Wal-Mart is now a Super Wal-Mart and is located on the 89 just slightly south west of its old location
Old     (crracer)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-14-2007, 10:25 AM Reply   
Rad info thanks guys. We are going to be really tight on space but i'm hopeing to either bring an extra shade tent to cover the goods or find a good beach with some bush cover lol.....
More of a trip to Powell than a trip for Brostock. Some of the crew that we are rolling with are pretty tight with LF crew, it doesnt matter to me we can all exist in harmony Slipknot lol
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       05-14-2007, 10:47 AM Reply   
oh and lots of beer

we will be expecting tons of pics

good attitude. when you gonna start ridin again locally and at the Riv? Or have you already?
Old     (crracer)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-14-2007, 11:13 AM Reply   
Ha...yeah im back on the horse i just landed a couple inverts last time out. Per the doctor i wasn't ever suppose to beable to ride again! Goes to show that MD's dont always know what the outcome of an injury wil be.
Old     (hyrific)      Join Date: Sep 2004       05-15-2007, 6:12 PM Reply   
Keep the coolers in the shade you'll be fine. I keep one tanks worth of gas cans with you and than when you get empty drive to the marina pull the boat and fill the tank and the gas cans out of the water thus saving 1 dollar or more a gallon and you can get ice or whatever you need. Plenty of awesome beach space due to low water conditions. I try and stay as close to the marina as possible with a good area that will break boat waves around meaning not rock walls. You will get better water that way plyus more riding time due to less travel time plus its saves you money for next trip. Enjoy your trip.
Old     (teamnash)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-15-2007, 8:27 PM Reply   
What is the price of gas these days at the marina?
Old     (wallaced)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-16-2007, 6:14 PM Reply   
Chris,

Stoked to hear that you've got a crew rolling out to BROstock. I think that this year is going to be huge! Alliance will be there, as will Dave and the Wakeworld crew. It's going to be a great weekend! If you have any questions at all about the event, let us know (email contacts are found on our website)... otherwise, we look forward to seeing you on the water!

Don
Old     (zeda)      Join Date: Nov 2004       05-16-2007, 9:47 PM Reply   
Chris,

I suggest driving through Page and over to Antelope Point Marina and launching from there. You will cut off several miles of the narrows (which can be dangerous when there are a bunch of boats running through there including tour boats) and your trips to transport camping items will be shorter. I heard they put in a new cell tower but cannot verify that. Good luck, have fun, and be safe.
Old     (nuckledragger)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-16-2007, 11:34 PM Reply   
I agree with Zeda, launch over at Antelope Point, it will save you a lot of time, gas, and you will avoid a lot of rough water in the narrows.

Be careful with the food, I don't know if your idea will work but food borne illness will ruin your trip in a heartbeat if something goes bad. If you guys are running back to the Marina for gas you might as well drive into Page for food and ice. Its a quicker shot from Antelope.

Cell phones do work at Cookie Butte (also known as Molly's nipple in our crew). I have had Verizon service for years and it always works up there in that area if you get into the middle of the channel, away from the canyon walls.

Have fun!!!!
Old     (nuckledragger)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-16-2007, 11:35 PM Reply   
I agree with Zeda, launch over at Antelope Point, it will save you a lot of time, gas, and you will avoid a lot of rough water in the narrows.

Be careful with the food, I don't know if your idea will work but food borne illness will ruin your trip in a heartbeat if something goes bad. If you guys are running back to the Marina for gas you might as well drive into Page for food and ice. Its a quicker shot from Antelope.

Cell phones do work at Cookie Jar Butte (also known as Molly's nipple in our crew). I have had Verizon service for years and it always works up there in that area if you get into the middle of the channel, away from the canyon walls.

Have fun!!!!
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       05-16-2007, 11:55 PM Reply   
I was just reading our houseboat literature tonight and they mention calling phone numbers as the first resort when you need help on the lake. Although it says that cell service is spotty, I take this to mean it's a lot better than it's been in the past.

Chris, if you've got an extra cooler, drop it by and we'll fill it with ice for you and meet up on Wednesday to replenish your supply. I know I mentioned using our big white cooler for that, but I sort of forgot that we're going to need it! I'm dumb!
Old     (ronnyboy27)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-17-2007, 6:48 AM Reply   
Could someone post the link for brostock
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       05-17-2007, 6:55 AM Reply   
http://www.liquidforce.com/brostock.htm