Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 13, 2007

Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       05-04-2007, 9:01 AM Reply   
In 2003, when XXL magazine asked many hip-hop artists to list their five favorite MCs, Biggie's name appeared on more rappers' lists than anyone else.

hip-hop has spoken
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       05-04-2007, 9:02 AM Reply   
Holy crap, are you guys really arguing about who is the better rapper/artist???? You do realize that it's subjective and that some people like things that others don't, right???? There has got to be better ways for you to waste time!
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       05-04-2007, 9:02 AM Reply   
i like some of pac's stuff, i just don't understand the obsession with it. thats all.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       05-04-2007, 9:04 AM Reply   
dave, do you like tool? what are your favorite bands?
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       05-04-2007, 9:12 AM Reply   
I think Aenima is was of the greatest albums ever and Sober is probably one of the best songs ever. I saw them in SD and got passed around the crowed many times. One of the best shows I've been too.

However, I haven't been able to get into Tool since that album. I don't know what changed, but it all sounds like A Perfect Circle and to me is kind of boring.

It reminds me of the change in Metallica starting with the Black album. I can't quite put my finger on the reason, but I absolutely love pre-Black album Metallica and I could care less about post-Black album Metallica. I'm sure some of it has to do with radio playing both those bands waaaaaay to much during those periods and just ruining it for me! :-)
Old    deltahoosier            05-04-2007, 9:15 AM Reply   
Dave, can you post that as a m3U file or something.
Old     (hoosairboy)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-04-2007, 9:16 AM Reply   
David- How do you post a table on here? Can you copy and paste a word table?
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       05-04-2007, 9:21 AM Reply   
I know what you mean about their style changning a bit. I like a few of the perfect songs, but its totally different. thought Lateralis a step in the right direction, but still different. seems like you have listen pretty intently to find what you're looking for.

Saw them in 2000 in New Orleans. Talk about a show. Saw a guy get busted with a BIG bag o 'shrooms. (wish he could've gotten in! ) I loved that show.

I guess the 'drive' to create that music goes away when you reach stardom. happens to so many bands...
Old     (ponte_06_x2)      Join Date: Jan 2006       05-04-2007, 9:26 AM Reply   
dude xxl is a east coast mag. if pac had all his fame in new york. they would call him a god and biggie would be pacs disciple. they really dont give 50 a alot of love because hes with dre a lot. it dont matter just listen to what makes your head bob. this is just my opinion. i really think that the east coast dont like west coast rap because they dont think its REAL hip hop. who really cares. they want the majority to say biggie is the best but they dont. i listen to what rappers say not what a mag that needs to sell copies says. to each his own.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       05-04-2007, 9:45 AM Reply   
Check the formatting help file to do a table. That's actually the first one I've done. I copied from ITunes to Excel and then to here with the table tag.
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-04-2007, 10:16 AM Reply   
P.O.D. Rise, off from the Satellite album. That tune pumps me up to get air. fitting song for the occasion.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       05-04-2007, 12:20 PM Reply   
Dave - You mentioned A Perfect Circle...Really liking their tune Passive...
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-04-2007, 12:43 PM Reply   
all eyes on me,you got you facts all messed up dude.I'm not going to argue who is better.Ask those same hip hop people and they will tell that album sales have nothing to do with who is better.

Quick fact so you are not confused:

Fact-2 pac sold the most albums(all together)counting back to the late 80's.

The all eyes on me was not the best hip hop selling album.2 pac never really made it across the sea's.

Fact-Marshall Mathers LP is...

Talking about individual albums,nothing got close to what Marshall Mathers LP sold.
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-04-2007, 6:53 PM Reply   
Ed, I though you would be bumpin 2pac by noon on Friday at Tulloch rather than arguing about it... you too "all eyes"
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-05-2007, 12:10 PM Reply   
need some help
I don't know many rap tunes....
what is the song that TNT palys at the beginning of the NBA games
it's about
...% inspiration
...% perspiration

sorry
that's the best I can do
thanks
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-05-2007, 12:23 PM Reply   
remember the name by fort minor?
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-05-2007, 12:43 PM Reply   
guess I really botched the words

ha!
Old     (oaf)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-05-2007, 9:01 PM Reply   
Cliff-
Check out Petrified by Fort Minor. It's my favorite on that album.
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-05-2007, 10:57 PM Reply   
thanks coach
Old     (ponte_06_x2)      Join Date: Jan 2006       05-06-2007, 4:33 PM Reply   
hey big ed. i got some info for you. from wikipedia.org. tupac is the best selling rap artist with 75 million copies sold world wide. with 25 million sold out of the us. he is also in the guinness book of world records with 75 million total copies sold. em's best album sold 20 million copies and pacs "the don killuminati, 7 day theory" sold 25 million copies. pac is all over the world. you are right in the fact that alleyez is not the best selling rap album. i dont really matter anyways. they both are hella dope to listen to. i just cant find info thats official.

(Message edited by ponte_06_x2 on May 06, 2007)

(Message edited by ponte_06_x2 on May 06, 2007)
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-06-2007, 8:12 PM Reply   
I knew you were gonna bust out the wikipedia.

Jerry,trust me on this one......I'm a hip hop head and been listening nothing but rap since I was 12.Only now am I venturing into different music.

2 pac is dope but to say the greatest is a stretch for anybody to have that title.Rap comes in many forms and he represented 10% of rap(at the most and that's giving credit)How can someone be the greatest and represent so little of what rap stands for.

Everybody has their moment,I can't compare how good somebody was in '94 to somebody in '01.

FYI,I go across seas as much as possible and I can tell you that only people that really like and follow hip hop knows of 2 pac.Now Em and 50 cent,the whole world knows about.I will say that big part of that is that hip hop is just getting bigger and bigger so when it was 2 pacs time,hip hop was not that big across seas and I don't mean only Japan.

(Message edited by big_ed_x2 on May 06, 2007)
Old     (nickdakoolkat)      Join Date: Sep 2005       05-06-2007, 8:22 PM Reply   
You gotta pick up EverReady: the religion, by Tech N9ne this album is awesome to ride to....and just about any Mac Dre and Dre Dogg
Old     (shellyrn)      Join Date: May 2006       05-06-2007, 8:25 PM Reply   
Tool...anything on Opiate. Now that was kick ass Tool!
Old     (ponte_06_x2)      Join Date: Jan 2006       05-06-2007, 8:28 PM Reply   
i see what your saying. im just a huge fan of his so its easy for me to say hes the best.
Old     (metz213)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-06-2007, 8:34 PM Reply   
Hooch-Everything
Elephant Bones- That Handsome Devil
Face Down- The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus
Prayer of the Refugee- Rise Against
Chili Peppers!!
Incubus

just a taste
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-07-2007, 7:28 AM Reply   
No doubt one of the greatest!

That being said,just b/c biggie and pac were not getting along doesn't mean that biggies music was not up to par with pac.
I used to think exactly like you since I'm west coast type of guy and then my best friend at the time kept throwing biggie in.For a while I refused to truly listen to him until one day it was like,hey you got that biggie?lol Let me burn that shiz.

after close evaluation of both of their music,I prefer biggie and for more then one reason.One of the reasons....biggie made feel good music for everybody,pac did feel good music for mostly black people.
Jerry,the songs you listed from biggie were the generic type....listen to the not so commercialized biggie.Listen to his 1st album,i guarantee you'll gain respect and love for his music.
Old     (ponte_06_x2)      Join Date: Jan 2006       05-07-2007, 11:20 AM Reply   
hey big ed and nacho. like pac said"its just me against the world". me saying pac is the best ever is just my opinion. i grew up on eazy,dre,celly cell, rbl possee,run dmc,beastie boys,eric b and rock m, just to list a few. yes pac made music for his people but most of all he made music for the under dog. he loved all kinds of people not just blacks. his songs are about struggle and pain.which everyone can relate to. trying to make it out of the bottom and get to the top.you can feel the pain in his songs. yes its hard for most to say who the best is,but its real easy for me to say pac is. thats all.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-07-2007, 4:19 PM Reply   

quote:

he made music for the under dog.

that's hip hop in general

quote:

he loved all kinds of people not just blacks.

I can't say I felt that in his music,maybe even a little racist.

quote:

his songs are about struggle and pain.which everyone can relate to. trying to make it out of the bottom and get to the top.

like I said,that's hip hop in general and this is what attracted me to it 2 decades ago.
Old     (jusstty)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-07-2007, 5:34 PM Reply   
Pixes= Where is my mind.
The faint= Posed to death
Ramstein= Du Hast
Idewild= No emotion
DJ Shadow= Building steam with a grain of salt
Chk Chk Chk= Yadnus
Jedi Mind Tricks
Clap your hand and say yeah= Upon this tidal wave
Danger Doom= Sofa King
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-07-2007, 6:21 PM Reply   
You guys are killing my 2007 Rock playlist mojo with all this 2PAC jargon!
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-07-2007, 6:22 PM Reply   
All eyes on me... saw you trolling in your boat all weekend but I didn't hear any beets coming out of that thing! Whats going on?
Old     (ponte_06_x2)      Join Date: Jan 2006       05-07-2007, 6:34 PM Reply   
well big ed. maybe you need to listen to some pac. dude for real. i dont speak on biggie because i dont know much about him. i know a lot on pac so i speak on it. dude calling pac a racist is real lame. watch his doc resurrection and then tell me hes racist. speak what you know not what you think.pac always had love for white people.his best friend in Baltimore was white. attila. i love systems but im not "that guy" that has a huge system and has to be heard. i like to bump music but i dont like to show off. if you came up to me i would of loved to show you the system and let you here it. maybe next time.

(Message edited by ponte_06_x2 on May 07, 2007)
Old     (ponte_06_x2)      Join Date: Jan 2006       05-07-2007, 6:38 PM Reply   
sorry about the high jack attila.
Old     (bcmach)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-07-2007, 7:14 PM Reply   
Too many to list but these are my faves

Shocore - All of their Songs
Kottonmouth Kings - Lets Ride, Here we go again
Guns N Roses - You Could Be Mine, Welcome to the Jungle
Finntroll - Ellytres Berc
Black Crowes - Cocaine
HIM - Sigillum Diaboli
The Living End - Carry Me Home
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-07-2007, 8:07 PM Reply   
I told myself I wasn't going to discuss it and here I am going back and forth.

racist,compared to biggies music,YES he was in general NO he was not.Dude,I listen to pac way before you did I'm sure!Don't tell me I don't know and not to speak on it.There are soo many songs he referred to blacks being better which biggie never/rarely referred to!

Sorry Attila....but didn't you say that was enough of music til 2008.
Old     (ponte_06_x2)      Join Date: Jan 2006       05-07-2007, 8:31 PM Reply   
pac quote"all my enemies envy me" big ed. its funny how i like pac and my name is all eyez on me and you like biggie and your name is big ed. good stuff

(Message edited by ponte_06_x2 on May 07, 2007)
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-07-2007, 8:36 PM Reply   
"Joker and the Thief" by Wolfmother is a great song to ride to.
Just throwing that out there
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-07-2007, 8:39 PM Reply   
"I've lurked in the shadows here to watch the downfall of my enemies." Shakespeare! HA

Shakespeare was racist! LOL give it a break guys!

(Message edited by attila916 on May 07, 2007)
Old     (hudd007)      Join Date: May 2006       05-07-2007, 9:50 PM Reply   
No rap??? What do all the strippers dance to? I tried to mix it up this weekend but all they wanted was RAP RAP RAP.
Old     (ponte_06_x2)      Join Date: Jan 2006       05-07-2007, 10:05 PM Reply   
what about some rob zombie. does anyone play manson? hey sean a great rock stripper song is girls,girls,girls by montley crew.. so ive herd..lol
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-07-2007, 10:25 PM Reply   
I like rob zombie... what song?

I play Manson when I ride... Dope show and Personal Jesus are on my 2006 playlist.

Sean, Rap is not all the way, I just dislike all the new crap on the radio. I don't think there has been any good stuff out in the last 5 years. I like all the old stuff from back in high school days and before...
Old     (xaggie)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-08-2007, 12:06 AM Reply   
So Rich, So Pretty - Mickey Avalon

Hahah I D/L this song and I love it. Is it horrible if it describes one of my best girl friends to the letter?
Old     (tigebob)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-08-2007, 12:58 AM Reply   
The new Bone Thugs album Strength and Loyalty is awesome...just got it and I could not find a sing I didnt like
Old     (borka)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-08-2007, 1:43 AM Reply   
Swollen Members
Styles Of Beyond
Dilated Peoples
Art Of Act
MYG
Dj Honda
Dj Greyboy
Mixes By Mark Frank Montoya
Cunnilinguists
Dj Spinna
Dj Babu
Jurassic 5
Aceyalone
Mat The Alien
Grand Master Flash
...and The Rock Steady Crew - (is my favorite!)
Old     (spicoli512)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-08-2007, 7:57 AM Reply   
Rick Astley
Michael Bolton
Billy Ocean (only b/c I can't find my NKOTB tape)
Old     (shellyrn)      Join Date: May 2006       05-08-2007, 8:33 AM Reply   
Attila--Rob Zombie's Sinister Urge--Demon Speeding, Feel so Numb, Never gonna Stop
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       05-08-2007, 8:47 AM Reply   
You can't go wrong with anything off of Sinister Urge!
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-08-2007, 8:55 AM Reply   
atmosphere is sick (i know im comign in a little late)

reflections, say hey there, trying to find a balance, and los angeles are what ive been going with lately
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-08-2007, 9:20 AM Reply   
That is funny but my name had NOTHING to do with biggie.

I was this same size back when I was 16 so my friend at the time called me BigEd since he hated calling me Ed-dogg.
Since Ed-dogg sound young after a while,I decided to go with biged since it describes me soo much better!A dog I'm not,maybe just loyal like one but the doggy in me left a long time ago!
Old     (merge360)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-08-2007, 12:56 PM Reply   
Fort Minor - Green Lantern Remix Album..... If you don't have it, get it, find it, steal it, whatever you have to do, get it....

Swollen Members
Atmosphere
SweatShop Union
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       05-08-2007, 12:59 PM Reply   
i love J5! Thx Boris, i had forgotten about those guys. There are so many musicians/artists these days its hard to keep up with. I think its great, so many different styles of music. Something for everyone to relate to or appreciate. I'll have to check on the newer Zombie stuff too!

Good discussion guys. Glad this thread kept going. New music is sweet!
Old     (pickle311)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-08-2007, 1:46 PM Reply   
311, Sublime, Pepper, Slightly Stoopid, Bob Marley, Godsmack, Alice n Chanis, Pearl Jam, RAtM, STP, Velvet Revolver, RHCP, Deftones, Jimi Hendrix, Weezer, Snoop Dogg, and more
Old     (raketball)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-08-2007, 2:16 PM Reply   
Pennywise
Rancid
Bad Religion
Reel Big Fish
No Use For A Name
Snuff
Gimme Gimmes
Swollen Members

I unfortunately have to add 80's music to the list as my wife loves 80's music.
Old     (bbking)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-08-2007, 5:54 PM Reply   
can anybody tell me some chill music (kinda relaxed music)

right now i got some slightly stoopid and 311
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-08-2007, 7:38 PM Reply   
this is it right here

atmosphere [tryin to find a balance, smart went crazy, the arrival...]

aesop rock
aceyclone
abstract rude
andre nikatina
blueprint
blackalicous
chronic future
company flow
crown city rockers
da backwudz
del tha funkay homsaipien
dilated peoples
federation
gift of gab
hieroglyphics
house of pain
immortal technique
keak da sneak
kotton mouth kings
life savas
lmno
lyrics born
mac dre
mikah 9
mista FAB
moka only
myg
the pack
people under the stairs
pep love
primmer 55
sage francis
souls of mischief
swollen members
tha alkaholcs
turf talk
Old     (ponte_06_x2)      Join Date: Jan 2006       05-08-2007, 7:46 PM Reply   
trevors down for the bay. nice pimp
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       05-09-2007, 12:46 PM Reply   
brett - try the expendables, long beach dub allstars
Old     (mkrueger313)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-10-2007, 6:20 PM Reply   
long beach all stars are dope!! and Mark Farina's Mushroom Jazz Vol. 5 is sick as well.