Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 22, 2007

Old     (swrodgers)      Join Date: Dec 2006       03-11-2007, 7:19 AM Reply   
I have heard that Bartlett Lake is low on water. Has anyone been there in the past several days? Can we launch the boat? We are thinking of going there this week.
Old    bocephus            03-11-2007, 8:37 AM Reply   
Yes and no. First the water level is at about 40% capacity or 50 feet below the max. Check for yourself here:

http://www.gf.state.az.us/h_f/edits/lake_levels.shtml

With the low water levels you will have to launch from the shoreline. Most of Bartlett has a very gradual shoreline meaning that if you have a large boat or a boat with a deep draft you will have to back your truck into the water almost till your front tires are in the water in order to get your boat off the trailer. When you do get in the water you will be limited to the damn area since all the underwater obsticles are now a problem in the rest of the lake. I think Brian at he Marina will launch and retrieve your boat with the tractor for $65. Both ramps are officially closed!

See Here:
http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/tonto/news/2007/011607.shtml

After yesterday's fiasco at Canyon I would suggest going to Apache, Roosevelt, Havasu, Mead or Powell. I was almost killed yesterday by someone following me while wakeboarding. When I fell he just barely missed me, probably by less than a foot. He then proceeded to run over our rope and almost damn near capsized my SAN.

I am planning a camping trip to Apache in two weeks on the 3/24. Check out:

http://groups.myspace.com/azwakeboarding

for details. I should have something posted up in a couple days.

You can also call the Bartlett Marina

http://bartlettlake.com/lakeInfo/contact.php
Old     (stevev210)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-11-2007, 10:10 AM Reply   
I went to Saguaro yesterday, there was only two other boats from 6 to 9:30am. Can you say "BUTTER".
Old    bocephus            03-11-2007, 12:00 PM Reply   
I hear you Steve, Canyon was the same way until all the jet skis and stupid people showed up.

So you are riding again? How is the knee? You are welcome to come with us any time.
Old     (stevev210)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-11-2007, 1:06 PM Reply   
Rode for the first time yesterday, the knees great. Thanks Ryan.
Old     (swrodgers)      Join Date: Dec 2006       03-11-2007, 4:22 PM Reply   
Bocephus, thanks for the reply. I'm glad I asked about Bartlett.

We bought our first boat this year and we were on Saguaro yesterday (Saturday). It was a little scary at times because there were so many boats on the lake.

I have never been to Apache before. I have heard the drive is difficult. Is that right? Is there a preferred route to the lake? Thanks.
Old     (h2omantx)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-11-2007, 6:32 PM Reply   
And that is one reason I don't miss living in Gilbert. In all the years we have owned a boat, Saguaro and Canyon are the two places we have had more close calls than every other lake we have been on added together and multiplied by 10. I don't know why, but they just don't pay attention (or seem to care). Also, I have never seen more patrols/coast guard presence on a lake. How bad would it be if they weren't there? I wish you the best! Safe riding.
Old     (h2omantx)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-11-2007, 6:40 PM Reply   
Swrodgers - Apache is a GREAT lake. The road there is a bit scary but the water and lack of other boats was worth it every time. The road there has a pass that is nearly one lane dirt going down the side of a mountain. When passing another vehicle it isn't so bad if they are small. Trailers or large vehicles make it interesting. The uphill vehicle (traveling down hill) has to stop and back up to a wider section of road to let the down hill vehicle pass going up hill. We just took it slow and kept a look out for dust from any on comming vehicles. Seemed to work out each time. (Oh, my wife kept her eyes closed every time we were headed up the pass.) Again, the lake was worth it every time.
Old     (dgarland0)      Join Date: Apr 2003       03-11-2007, 7:29 PM Reply   
Apache is the best lake in AZ. The road in makes not a good day use lake, but for a weekend its great. You can also get there from Globe and Roosevelt. A much easier road, all dirt though, and from phoenix is a longer route. The Canyon road is good except for the 2 mile steep one lane road. I have been fortunate and not had to back up at all, I have heard some bad stories though.

dg
Old    bocephus            03-11-2007, 9:08 PM Reply   
Pardon me, but the best lake in AZ is Powell hands down..LOL
Old     (tcluv85)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-11-2007, 9:53 PM Reply   
Hey Steve -

Glad to hear you are back on the water finally. I am coming down for the Tempe Music Festival in a few weeks. Do you go out during the weeks or just on the weekends?

(This is Laci from WA, Kim moved down there last winter and I came down and went to Saguaro)
Old     (hawaiianstiln)      Join Date: Oct 2004       03-11-2007, 10:12 PM Reply   
you missed the Tempe town lake Beer fest yesterday.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       03-12-2007, 7:39 AM Reply   
I shot at Bartlett last weekend and the water level is sure low but no real issues. There wasn't anyone on the lake? Here's a pic.

Upload
Old    bocephus            03-12-2007, 8:16 AM Reply   
Hey Solo,
Have the bass fishermen built a good dirt ramp out there yet?