Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 19, 2006

Old    catfishh            04-21-2006, 11:40 AM Reply   
So for those of you that contributed to my last post in regards to the problems on my boat-it has turned out to be the fuel pump. Now I am pretty mechanically inclined and have done alot of minor engine work, but I have never changed out a fuel pump on an inboard-is this something that I should be able to do no problem or should I have the shop do it? Also they are telling me that a new pump is 327.00 from the factory. Can't you get a no name replacement pump for much less? the boat is an 01 Mobius with a 330hp stock indmar engine. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I just hate to pay someone to do something that I can do myself!
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       04-21-2006, 11:57 AM Reply   
check www.skidim.com for honest pricing & great advice.
Old     (snyper1d)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-21-2006, 1:52 PM Reply   
You will need to get the pump from a dealer. Depending on the engine (old vs. new), it should be no problem. Is it the in tank pump, or the engine mounted fuel pump?
Old    catfishh            04-21-2006, 2:50 PM Reply   
the engine mounted pump, I believe electric two stage. Looks like it is going to run about 300.00 no matter where I get it. I just don't want to spend another 150 to have it installed. The manual says obviously not to mess with the fuel system but I don't see the big deal, I have changed a pump before on other applications with no problem, just wanted to make sure first.
Old    catfishh            04-21-2006, 6:34 PM Reply   
I was wrong, it is a PCM 330 hp engine. Does anyone know what fuel punp is needed for this engine. I am searching all over the net but I can't seem to find it? I would appreciate the help.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       04-21-2006, 6:48 PM Reply   
is it EFI or carb? if it's EFI, you need to bleed the pressure off of the system before you undo the fittings. there should be a schrader valve somewhere on the fuel rails. other than that, it should be an easy swap.
Old    catfishh            04-22-2006, 10:50 AM Reply   
is there a difference in an indmar and a PCM engine? the mechanic said it would need the lines bled to replace so i assume it is an efi.
Old     (azwakekid)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-22-2006, 10:56 AM Reply   
that pump is expensive, but its funny cause autozone has them, no joke, they even have the marine sae stamped right on the side, to look it up there tell them u got a 2000 escalade, and need a fuel pump there like 150 buck... just take the old one off and take it down there and make sure its the same one cause the people at autozone dont know ne thing
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-22-2006, 4:31 PM Reply   
Since the pump is in the tank on both a boat and an auto they both have to be spark resistant and there wouldn't be any difference. Challenge will be matching it up.
Old    catfishh            04-22-2006, 5:53 PM Reply   
Do you think that by adding a 750 bag to the back of my boat, directly above the fuel tank could maybe play a factor in this problem. All my mechanic said was that he tested my fuel pressure and it was very low compared to what it should be leading him to believe I need a new pump. What if I just needed a new filter, or maybe the weight on the fuel tank is cutting off a fuel line or restricting it? My head is spinning over this because I only briefly spoke with them on Friday and now I have to sit and wait until monday to get the real dela and ask all these questions to them. Basically I am venting and thinking aloud. Thanks for everybody's input....
Old     (malibususpect)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-22-2006, 10:01 PM Reply   
the pump is expensive but the installation is a breeze, my dad did it on our malibu in probably half an hour
Old     (snyper1d)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-23-2006, 1:47 AM Reply   
Filter is a good possibility. If you are getting low fuel pressure, check all electrical connections and check/replace filter. You should be able to rent or borrow a fuel pressure gauge from autozone or oreilly's for little or no money.

Has the boat ever been ran out of gas? I know in some of the in tank fuel pumps, running the pump dry can cause serious damage to the pump.

Also, as you mentioned, check all lines to make sure kinks are not an issue.

What are the symptoms that lead you to the fuel pump?
Old    catfishh            04-23-2006, 7:29 AM Reply   
The boat actually has ran out of gas a couple times because the gauge isn't accurate. It ran out one day, we filled it up, ran the next morning. Then went out in the afternoon and it wouldn't start. Finally got it started, went out the next day and the boat would not get on a plane, kept bogging down. I brought it into the shop and they said it had low fuel pressure and would probably need a new pump. Also-this pump is in the tank? if so, my new ballast bag could be causing some problems since I installed it in the compartment just above the fuel tank...I also have no idea when the last time the filter was changed..
Old     (boarder_x)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-23-2006, 5:16 PM Reply   
That's a fuel pump. If you run out of gas, it burns up the pump. My buddy fried two of them on his boat, because his gauge doesn't work. Now he has a fuel flow meter.

Anyway, I changed out the pump on my Mercruiser. I had never done it before, but am fairly mechanically inclined also. It took about 15 min. It is very straight forward. Take the parts off the old one, and make the new one look like the old one did. Then hook up the wires.

Robb
Old    catfishh            04-24-2006, 5:08 AM Reply   
The only problem is that the Fuel line on a indmar supposedly need sto be bled before you can change the pump. I will hear from my Mech sometime this morning and I am sure I will eventually get to the bottom of this mess.