Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 05, 2008

Old     (mallenger)      Join Date: Jun 2006       05-30-2008, 7:31 AM Reply   
I’m trying to get an idea for a good mountain lake to take a weekend camping trip to. Obviously it’ll need to be a lake that I can put a couple of 21’ wake board boats into. I’d like to have camping on the lake or cabin/house boat rental on the lake. It would be good to stay within 3 hours of Charlotte but I’d love for the lake to be as unpopulated as possible. Does anyone have any experience on something like I’m talking about here? Any advice or ideas are greatly appreciated.
Old     (cocheese)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-30-2008, 8:01 AM Reply   
Philpot is in Virginia but is close to the NC line. We go camping there many times during the summer. Is is operated by the Army Corp and there are no houses, docks, or marinas. It is solely a camping lake. The riding is perfect with very little boat traffic. Bad part is all of the camp grounds are Alcohol free and there is no where on the water to pump gas. But, very cool, relaxed vacation camping spot.
Old     (iamnathanhudson)      Join Date: Dec 2002       05-30-2008, 12:03 PM Reply   
Fontana Lake is kind of on the boarder of NC and Tenn. It is probably the sweetest lakes I have ever ridden on. It's in the smoky mountains. Check it out. Some of my friends and I used to go there and get these houses that were staked off on the ground but actually floated out in the water! Killer time, Beautiful scenery, and its impossible to NOT find butter. A friend of mine who used to go to Ferrum College went to philpot a lot. I have never been there.
Old     (lfrider139)      Join Date: May 2007       05-30-2008, 2:56 PM Reply   
Check out the watauga lake, its in tn but right past the border...its a really nice lake with a lot of good views. The water is super clean too.
Old     (premier135rider)      Join Date: Oct 2002       05-30-2008, 4:40 PM Reply   
lake Jocasse for sure! 30 min north of clemson, sc. There are about 4 houses on the lake, water falls, cliff jumps, and the narrowest spots are 100+ feet deep. The water is supper clear and cool, it is the secret of up state SC!
Old     (leigh)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-30-2008, 7:06 PM Reply   
Claytor Lake State Park in VA is a very nice park with cabins and camping available. From Charlotte we are about 2 hours and 15 min North on I77.

Claytor isn't a huge lake, it's 21 miles long but not wide. It is fed from the New River.
Old     (mallenger)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-02-2008, 5:01 AM Reply   
I really appreciate these great responses. I have actually hiked around Fontana (in the snow) and Watauga while hiking the AT, they would be awesome to get a boat out on. Philpot is a serious option too, I got to ride up there last summer. Nate, do you have a link or anything to the floating houses you are talking about? I’m gonna also look into Jocasse and Claytor. These all sound so good that multiple trips may be the only solution. The others that I’m looking into besides what ya’ll mentioned are Smith Mtn Lake, Lake James, Lake Glenville, Rhodhiss and Lake Hickory. Do ya’ll have any ideas on these? Thanks,

I threw in a picture of the wife and i on philpot last summer...
Upload
Old     (cocheese)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-02-2008, 5:50 AM Reply   
We will be spending 4th of July weekend at Philpot. The only experience with the others you mentioned is Smith Mtn. and I hated it. Too big and too crowed. Early morning rides on Monday and Tuesday were the only decent water the whole week we were there.
Old     (dansmith)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-02-2008, 6:32 AM Reply   
Like cocheese said, Smith Mountain Lake is beautiful, but populated. You can find some riding in the fingers & coves during the week, but you really need to hit it early for the butter.

I'm pretty sure the Virginia Tech wakeboard team uses Claytor Lake, and I've heard good things about it. Very scenic as well.
Old     (mallenger)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-02-2008, 6:35 AM Reply   
Smith Mtn is offically crossed off the list. I'd prefer a lake like Philpott with no or very few houses.
Old     (bremsen)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-02-2008, 8:15 AM Reply   
Mayo Lake is up near Roxboro (just east of Hyco) and had very little boat traffic when we were there (~4yrs ago). You can't build a dock on the lake so it keeps major developers away. Might be worth checking into.

(Message edited by bremsen on June 02, 2008)
Old     (leigh)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-03-2008, 12:54 PM Reply   
Claytor is much smaller than SML. Yes, VA Tech Team uses a cove on Claytor to practice. We live a couple of miles from the State Park.

Our daughter works at the State Park and we wakeboard and surf. If you need any info, please give us a shout.

I will admit the weekends can be busy. But so far it hasn't been too bad (maybe gas prices $$??) Plus, the gas pump at the park only goes to $3.99/gallon, so buying gas on the water isn't much different than using regular pumps.

Fridays nights are a great time to ride and during the week too.

This weekend there will be a huge fireworks display Sat. night to kick off summer.

I know the cabins are booked way in advance, but if you search claytor lake water sports I think they have a link for a rental home directly across the water from the park. Only thing is getting to it is a little off the beaten path....country, curvy roads.

Good Luck!
Old     (leigh)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-03-2008, 12:57 PM Reply   
Will, I just read your profile.

We rode on Lake Wylie w/SouthTown Riders last summer. We came to Tega Cay for a Moomba/Supra Reunion get together that was put on my a marina down there. Can't remember the name of it, but my husband knows it.

One of my best friends built a new home on Lake Wylie at Tega Cay. That is a beautiful place to live!!
Old     (burban89)      Join Date: Nov 2006       06-03-2008, 1:15 PM Reply   
I have heard great things about lake Jocasse also. I do know they have an island that is first come first serve for boat in camping. I am looking to check that out this year.

Will where do you normally ride on Wylie? We are out all the time in my SN2001. I tend to stay to the south of the bridge.
Old     (mallenger)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-03-2008, 1:22 PM Reply   
leigh, thank you for the comments about Tega Cay. We love it here. I just wish we could afford a place right on the water. A couple of hundred yards away for now will have to do though.

raymond, I'd love to know more about that island. We normally ride Lil/Big Allison Creek over on the other side of the lake if we are riding on wylie or WAY up river just below the dam. If you see me out, wave me down. Also, lately i've been up on Mountain Island quite a bit riding behind my buddies Malibu.
Old     (nathan1pure)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-04-2008, 7:04 AM Reply   
Raymond - definitely post up your thoughts if you go to Jocasse. I have heard good things and have thought of planning a trip there as well.
Old     (burban89)      Join Date: Nov 2006       06-04-2008, 8:04 AM Reply   
It isnt going to be untill after this month. I am staying on Hartwell at twin lakes campground for 10days in July. It will have to be after that. You can read about it some here http://www.southcarolinaparks.com/park-finder/state-park/1355.aspx
We ride a few coves south of Buster Boyd and go to the sand bar in the south some. If you see a light blue SN2001 with black tower make sure to wave me down. I dont know anyone that has stayed at the island, maybe someone will chime in.
Old     (nathan1pure)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-04-2008, 8:12 AM Reply   
Thanks for the site. I ride right out of Tega Cay. Usually in Beaver, and early mornings at Windjammer before it turns into a nightmare. We definitely hit the sandbar (south) for bbq or a hot dog. If you see me just flag us down. You can't miss my Supra. See profile for pic.