Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 05, 2008

Old     (santa)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-02-2008, 3:45 PM Reply   
Yeah, you guessed it.

I'm just getting warmed up at the beginning of my second set last Saturday. I do a huge 180 (you know, the kind where you give it a little ollie as you jump off the wake), then just as the board hits the water on a pefect landing, "POP!" goes the right knee!

I don't undertand why it happened. The only cause I can think of is that maybe the angle of my bindings was wrong. It felt as if they were not angled out enough, which probably put too much pressure on the knees.

Anyways, I can walk (with a very bad limp), and the doctor says it shouldn't be too bad. But I feel as if something tore. Hopefully I can get an MRI quickly (rememder, this is Canada, with our very slow health case system, so it might take a few weeks if not months).

For sure I'm out a few weeks.

Time to go shopping for a brace...
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       06-02-2008, 3:52 PM Reply   
ouch... speedy recover to ya! Best of luck on the rehab and everythin! Does it really take that long to get in for an MRI?? I knew there was a delay...but really that long??? On a lighter note... you still have plenty of time before christmas okay that was lame.... lol
Old    murrayair            06-02-2008, 3:54 PM Reply   
Sorry to hear about that. Good luck with recovery!
Old     (wakerider42)      Join Date: May 2002       06-02-2008, 4:26 PM Reply   
Santa, best of luck to you for a speedy recovery (and speedy medical attention). That really sucks. Hopefully no long-term effects.

It's good to hear from a Canadian's side of the fence regarding their health care system. At least I know that I can get an MRI next day if I need to with my current insurance. I'm not a fan of universal health care because in situations like Santa's, you might have to wait WEEKS for an MRI??!! That is insane.

Again, best of luck to you.

Danny
Old     (skink)      Join Date: May 2008       06-02-2008, 4:36 PM Reply   
hmmm the health care system has always been pretty good to me! i've had surgery thrice in the past few years, and everytime has gone really smooth. i had a bad motocross accident, got all kinds of cat scans and went into surgery the next day to get rods in my humorous, pins in my wrist, and repair a collarbone. they scheduled me for re-checks every 2 weeks and everything went good. maybe this stuff is alot different than an mri, i don't know much about that.
sucks to hear about your knee tho. heal up quick!
Old     (joe_crawley)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-02-2008, 6:32 PM Reply   
Universal health care doesn't mean everyone has the same health coverage! Why don't people get this? There can certainly still be premium health insurance which would guarantee world class service, but it would also ensure anyone who needs medical attention would have some access to it before their issue becomes outrageously expensive (and my taxes then pay for it anyways).

that said, I've been there, did basically exactly what you did. Rehab, rehab, rehab. sounds like the ACL went poof, if you elect for no surgery (or if you do) your rehab will make or break you
Old     (santa)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-03-2008, 5:01 AM Reply   
The funny part about all this is that you can pay to get an MRI in a private clinic here (about 1,000$) BUT:

1- you need to be referred by an orthopedist, which may take anywhere between a week to 1.5 years to get an appointment with, depending on the severety (and I am walking, so I guess I am far down that list)

2- Once you do get the referral, it will take several weeks to get the MRI in the private clinic

3- once you do get the MRI, again, it will take several weeks (or months) before you can see the orthopedist again!

4- then if you do need the surgery, again you will go on a waiting list which can take several months.

Our health care system is effective when it comes to very urgent cases, but the problem is that anything that is not judged too urgent like my case will go on a list and take several months, if not years, before getting tratment.

Oh, and on top of that, I pay 48.2% taxes on every dollar I earn and 12.5% tax on everything I buy. Supposedly a lot of it goes towards funding universal HC.

Santa
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       06-03-2008, 7:04 AM Reply   
get a brace and wear it nonstop until you get help, hope you heal up sooner than what your post says. sounds like your get help next year? If you want to ride sooner, pay the money. Goodluck to you it doesnt sound like fun at all. I wouldnt wish that upon anyone.

Make sure you are healed by December I want my presents this year bro!
Old     (jcollinge)      Join Date: Apr 2004       06-03-2008, 10:32 AM Reply   
48.2% on income, GST, PST (tax on tax), and muni taxes are all the reasons I left Quebec in '91. Ridiculous...
Old     (red220)      Join Date: Apr 2008       06-03-2008, 11:26 AM Reply   
Similar thing happened to me May 18th, I bought a brace w/ rods in the sides but I see the much larger braces in mags and they seem to be custom and/or much more durable and effective...anyone know where to get one?
Thanks!