Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (ifishok)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-27-2012, 9:11 AM Reply   
http://www.feinstein.senate.gov/publ...ssault-weapons

Read the summary of the new bill, what do you like and dislike about it?

Stuff like this:

Requires that grandfathered weapons be registered under the National Firearms Act, to include:

Background check of owner and any transferee;
Type and serial number of the firearm;
Positive identification, including photograph and fingerprint;
Certification from local law enforcement of identity and that possession would not violate State or local law; and
Dedicated funding for ATF to implement registration

So tells us what you have, and we'll grab it later, what's wrong with that, Hitler did it.
================================================== ========================
and this:
Certain other semiautomatic rifles, handguns, shotguns that can accept a detachable magazine and have one military characteristic
So any semi auto rifle for the most part!
and this:
Banning firearms with “thumbhole stocks” and “bullet buttons” to address attempts to “work around” prior bans
What's a bullet button?
and this:
Eliminating the easy-to-remove bayonet mounts and flash suppressors from the characteristics test
Where are the stats on crimes committed with bayonets on rifles?
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-27-2012, 9:28 AM Reply   
http://www.feinstein.senate.gov/publ...ssault-weapons

Read the summary of the new bill, what do you like and dislike about it?

Stuff like this:

Requires that grandfathered weapons be registered under the National Firearms Act, to include:

Background check of owner and any transferee;
Type and serial number of the firearm;
Positive identification, including photograph and fingerprint;
Certification from local law enforcement of identity and that possession would not violate State or local law; and
Dedicated funding for ATF to implement registration

So tells us what you have, and we'll grab it later, what's wrong with that, Hitler did it.
I'm kinda ok with in principle, not as written not if the same clown posse that ran Fast n Furious are in charge. This will only keep honest people honest though, so it fails to address the people problem.

and this:
Certain other semiautomatic rifles, handguns, shotguns that can accept a detachable magazine and have one military characteristic
So any semi auto rifle for the most part!
Too vague, wait till the whole thing is released to see what's really written.
and this:
Banning firearms with “thumbhole stocks” and “bullet buttons” to address attempts to “work around” prior bans
What's a bullet button?
Magazine release. Means you'll need a tool to release the magazine in an effort to stop rapid reloads. What will happen is that manufactures will come up with a means to implement a "tool" that does not violate the law. Think magnet, a "tool" that is held on with a magnet that releases the magazine, it would not be apart of the firearm.
and this:
Eliminating the easy-to-remove bayonet mounts and flash suppressors from the characteristics test
Where are the stats on crimes committed with bayonets on rifles?[/QUOTE]
That's left over from AKs being scary.

This all fails to address the people problem.
By calling out various makes and models, seems to create a giant kickback area (payment to ensure your make and model are not on "the list")
Is knee jerk
Still keeps the scary looking test part in place
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       12-27-2012, 4:36 PM Reply   
Love how Obama and Feinstein think they can wipe their ass with the constitution and the 2nd amendment. They make me want to puke.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       12-28-2012, 4:07 AM Reply   
Blame the gun or the rifle.Never blame the idiot that pulls the trigger.
Old     (King12)      Join Date: Jul 2012       12-30-2012, 7:30 PM Reply   
I am registered as an unaffiliated voter, and for good reason, my thinking does not coincide with either party's views. I grew up in the country, know how to use weapons correctly, and am a sportsman. I have a problem with the way this is going down. This is simply not the way to fix this problem. It frustrates me, and is at times bewildering. Everyones up in a confusion about how we have to get things done yesterday about gun control, and its simply not how that subject should be approached and discussed. I refuse to watch the news anymore, its ridiculous, no one thinks for themselves anymore. The thumbhole stocks thing bewilders me. The media (not the "liberal agenda" not them darn "dems" not "fox and the repubs" just the media) is adding fuel to the fire where its not needed. Some really bad things have happened and that hurts me. But when bad things happen it doesnt mean we stop educating ourselves on why they may have happened, what to do about it, and its effects, to throw a quick fix patch on it to make everyone feel safer.

One of the biggest things that worrys me is that this is going to turn into a dems vs repubs bs thing again, in fact it already has. SO the dem people are for gun control, and the republicans are against it. Just like everything else now.
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       12-31-2012, 8:16 AM Reply   
A leftist's point of view...

http://kontradictions.wordpress.com/...-ill-tell-you/

"When our policy becomes based on emotional content rather than facts, we are heading in the wrong direction."
I tend to agree...
Old    deltahoosier            01-02-2013, 11:58 AM Reply   
Joel. This debate is not the first and it has been the Dems vs Repubs for some time. That is part of the reason you have seen a shift to fly over country turning more Republican when it was Democrat before. Many on the left truly believe this issue alone cost Al Gore the oval office.
Old     (King12)      Join Date: Jul 2012       01-02-2013, 5:17 PM Reply   
rather ridiculous.
Old    deltahoosier            01-03-2013, 9:36 AM Reply   
Do some research bud. I tend to keep up on these things for some time and it cost Al Gore. Go so some progressive chat rooms and heat what they say about it. That is why most on the left has let the issue die because many on their side believe in guns too. With that it makes the political base in some cases stay home on election day. They would rather not vote than vote for the other party and it really energized the right who got out and made sure they voted. It has been a left vs right issue for some time. Just like the left owns killing babies, the right owns the gun issue.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       01-11-2013, 11:50 AM Reply   
"Magazine release. Means you'll need a tool to release the magazine in an effort to stop rapid reloads. What will happen is that manufactures will come up with a means to implement a "tool" that does not violate the law. Think magnet, a "tool" that is held on with a magnet that releases the magazine, it would not be apart of the firearm. "

Like this?

http://ar-magmagnet.com/c-325311-mag...et-button.html
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       01-11-2013, 12:55 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltahoosier View Post
Do some research bud. I tend to keep up on these things for some time and it cost Al Gore. Go so some progressive chat rooms and heat what they say about it. That is why most on the left has let the issue die because many on their side believe in guns too. With that it makes the political base in some cases stay home on election day. They would rather not vote than vote for the other party and it really energized the right who got out and made sure they voted. It has been a left vs right issue for some time. Just like the left owns killing babies, the right owns the gun issue.
All you need to say is that the NRA lobbyists have had a more focused influence on the GOP.
Old     (norcalrider)      Join Date: Jun 2002       01-11-2013, 2:34 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrod View Post
"Magazine release. Means you'll need a tool to release the magazine in an effort to stop rapid reloads. What will happen is that manufactures will come up with a means to implement a "tool" that does not violate the law. Think magnet, a "tool" that is held on with a magnet that releases the magazine, it would not be apart of the firearm. "

Like this?

http://ar-magmagnet.com/c-325311-mag...et-button.html
That's not how I read it... I think it is more in line with CA Senator Yee's bullet button ban which will make possession of any firearm with "features" illegal. Basically you have to stick with featureless builds or be in violation, unless the gun is grandfathered.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-12-2013, 10:58 AM Reply   
Less Guns Makes us Safer!!!

Pot meet Kettle
Attached Images

Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-12-2013, 11:32 PM Reply   
All the white people look alike. hah!
Old     (cragrat)      Join Date: Mar 2012       01-13-2013, 6:13 AM Reply   
Check out Wyoming House Bill No. HB0104. Firearm Protection Act. "AN ACT relating to firearms; providing that any federal law which attempts to ban a semi-automatic firearm or to limit the size of a magazine of a firearm or other limitation on firearms in this state are unenforceable in Wyoming; providing a penalty; and for providing an effective date."

I have an intense fondness for the "providing a penalty" language.

God... I LOVE Wyoming...
Old     (quik876)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-13-2013, 7:05 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimewarranty View Post
A leftist's point of view...

http://kontradictions.wordpress.com/...-ill-tell-you/

"When our policy becomes based on emotional content rather than facts, we are heading in the wrong direction."
I tend to agree...
Absolutely Tim, this whole thing surrounding the CT shooting is ENTIRELY and SOLELY based on the public's knee-jerk reaction as an emotional response while EVERY incident of these shootings are tragic. And the media along with gun grabbing legislators in their usual disgusting form hypes it completely out of proportions by standing on the graves and blood of the victims. These (often hypocritical) legislators are following the EXACT SAME model that's been followed in other disarmed countries and cultures in the previous century; 56 million dead (conservatively counting) by democide doesn't lie. after they achieve that, there's no need for a chrystal ball to guess what's next.
Old     (norcalrider)      Join Date: Jun 2002       01-14-2013, 9:35 AM Reply   
President said to move without Congressional action tomorrow: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...rol-this-week/
Old     (magicr)      Join Date: May 2004       01-14-2013, 12:49 PM Reply   
How did all the guns help Reagan, DOH!
Attached Images

Old     (norcalrider)      Join Date: Jun 2002       01-14-2013, 1:52 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicr View Post
How did all the guns help Reagan, DOH!
About as good as an assaults weapon ban will help prevent mass shootings. The perpetrator in the 1981 attempt on the President was found not guilty by reason of insanity... If I wasn't so hung up on the instrument perhaps I could make a link between many of these incidents that are not the traditional urban crime-related shootings. Hmm, insanity, lack of mental health services, um clearly it's guns...
Old     (magicr)      Join Date: May 2004       01-14-2013, 4:26 PM Reply   
Which nicely ties into Reagan, who was instrumental in closing down mental institutes.It costs more to treat the mentally ill criminal, but it's much easier to house them in Penitentiaries,

All in the name of saving money, except were paying big time for it now.
Old    deltahoosier            01-15-2013, 10:19 AM Reply   
How are we paying for it big time now?
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       01-15-2013, 11:43 AM Reply   
We are paying for it in that it is much tougher to service the needs of the mentally ill. Society is suffering for the limitations in care. Years of underfunding for treatment and research have put us here. Ask anyone with a family member with a severe mental illness, treatment is not covered by insurance, services provided by local government is dilapidated and archaic (not to mention hamstrung by high gov't pensions) and hospitalization is basically no longer an option.

Looks like we get more info tomorrow. Hope to hear some rays of hope.
Old     (norcalrider)      Join Date: Jun 2002       01-16-2013, 9:59 AM Reply   
Transcript: http://www.washingtonpost.com/politi...712_story.html

EO: http://www.theatlanticwire.com/polit...un-list/61075/

Quote:
Gun Violence Reduction Executive Actions
Today, the President is announcing that he and the Administration will:
1. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal agencies to make relevant data available to the federal background check system.
2. Address unnecessary legal barriers, particularly relating to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, that may prevent states from making information available to the background check system.
3. Improve incentives for states to share information with the background check system.
4. Direct the Attorney General to review categories of individuals prohibited from having a gun to make sure dangerous people are not slipping through the cracks.
5. Propose rulemaking to give law enforcement the ability to run a full background check on an individual before returning a seized gun.
6. Publish a letter from ATF to federally licensed gun dealers providing guidance on how to run background checks for private sellers.
7. Launch a national safe and responsible gun ownership campaign.
8. Review safety standards for gun locks and gun safes (Consumer Product Safety Commission).
9. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal law enforcement to trace guns recovered in criminal investigations.
10. Release a DOJ report analyzing information on lost and stolen guns and make it widely available to law enforcement.
11. Nominate an ATF director.
12. Provide law enforcement, first responders, and school officials with proper training for active shooter situations.
13. Maximize enforcement efforts to prevent gun violence and prosecute gun crime.
14. Issue a Presidential Memorandum directing the Centers for Disease Control to research the causes and prevention of gun violence.
15. Direct the Attorney General to issue a report on the availability and most effective use of new gun safety technologies and challenge the private sector to develop innovative technologies.
16. Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes.
17. Release a letter to health care providers clarifying that no federal law prohibits them from reporting threats of violence to law enforcement authorities.
18. Provide incentives for schools to hire school resource officers.
19. Develop model emergency response plans for schools, houses of worship and institutions of higher education.
20. Release a letter to state health officials clarifying the scope of mental health services that Medicaid plans must cover.
21. Finalize regulations clarifying essential health benefits and parity requirements within ACA exchanges.
22. Commit to finalizing mental health parity regulations.
23. Launch a national dialogue led by Secretaries Sebelius and Duncan on mental health.

Might note that #18 was something I thought the anti-gun advocates scoffed at???

Last edited by norcalrider; 01-16-2013 at 10:04 AM.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       01-16-2013, 11:16 AM Reply   
On the plus side, he is leaving it to Congress to determine if they reinstate the Assault Weapons Ban. How does everyone fell about what was proposed/enacted today?
Old    TN22            01-16-2013, 12:01 PM Reply   
I personally think that leaving the ban to Congress is smart on his part. They will be even more hated regardless. I don't think they will pass it either. The actions he took today do not bother me and I'm a gun owner and have a carry permit.
Old     (skull)      Join Date: May 2002       01-16-2013, 1:43 PM Reply   
Emperor Barry's beloved "Assault Weapon Ban" will fail. Let them try to pass it.
Old     (fouroheight68)      Join Date: May 2006       01-16-2013, 2:01 PM Reply   
I think items 1-23 are great targets for reform which I think both sides of the argument can agree upon.
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       01-17-2013, 5:59 PM Reply   
As a gun enthusiast I say this is a win.

I don't think Congress will pass the feinstine bill.
Old    deltahoosier            01-17-2013, 8:20 PM Reply   
This will hurt mental health more than it will ever help. If someone or their dependent is having a rough time mentally but happens to have firearms, there is no way in hell they will set foot in a councilors office. They will just fight through it because of the ramifications. Talking about not being able to see further than your hand.....
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-18-2013, 4:02 AM Reply   
Most all of the suits in Washington are just blowing hot air and stepping over the piles from their speeches.Nothing will change except for less jobs ,weaker dollar,more illegal aliens and a insurmountable national debt.
Old     (skull)      Join Date: May 2002       01-18-2013, 5:37 AM Reply   
Wow... how true this is!!!
Attached Images