Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (Grizz)      Join Date: Jul 2017       08-23-2017, 6:27 PM Reply   
I think I'm having an issue with my wake and wanted everyone's advice on what they think as I don't know anyone else around me who surfs!!!

I have a 2007 X-15 and am experiencing different results that confuse me somewhat. If I put full stern ballast on the surf side in conjunction with my Delta Wakeshaper on the other I seem to get a large wake but I think it's really short and can be crusty and somewhat washed out IMO. If I add ballast to the KGB tank, it seems to stay short but washes out somewhat. I find that 13.8 (Using MCC) seems to give the best results but I am still not sure if it's any good.

Here is a photo using no ballast anywhere with only the Wakeshaper and one adult helping with the rope......I want to upload a video but I can't figure out how!!!!

Just after we start

About 1 min later

20 seconds or so after

Same time frame

Any advice on what you think I could do or on how I can upload a video to give a better perspective would be appreciated!!!
Old     (Grizz)      Join Date: Jul 2017       08-23-2017, 9:29 PM Reply   
Anyone?
Old     (jps120)      Join Date: Oct 2012       08-24-2017, 3:43 AM Reply   
Are you running any ballast in the bow?? Bow weight typically makes waves longer. If you have all the weight in the back then you will probably have a tall, real short wake that won't clean up
Old     (TNwakeboarder86)      Join Date: Sep 2016       08-24-2017, 5:46 AM Reply   
Josh is right, You might need to add weight in the bow. Also play around with the line you drive. On my boat, if I drive straight its fine, but if I turn with the wave its steeper, slightly away its a little longer. I would also play with the weight in the back more too. On our boat, we do 60/40 in the rear stock, then a big one in the floor that way it adds more steepness to the length and then if no one sits up front, we add an extra 400 lb up front not fully weighted though, right in front of the stock middle bag. It does a nice wake. Also play with the shaper, if I use my DIY shaper I have to move it further up and gives a good wake, but if I use the nauticurl which I am still playing around with, I can put it further back and yes less wake for a longer but shorter wave.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       08-24-2017, 6:15 AM Reply   
I agree, you need some weight up in the bow to push it down more. If you are using a Wake Shaper there is really not much need to list (lean) the boat. If fact we (I'm with NautiCurl) suggest you do not list the boat, you can get more ballast in your boat if you even weigh it down. Also, play with the placement of your wake shaper. Typically when you move the shaper father back on the boat (close to the stern) you get a longer but smaller wave, if you move it up the hull 1-2 feet you will get a shorter but larger wave, there a sweet spot on every boat. I would suggest spending 15 minutes moving the shaper around the hull then getting up to surf speed , then just visually looking at the wake until you have something your happy with. We have a bunch of people with X15's creating big waves with deep pockets. Never a bad idea to hit up the Mastercraft Team Talk forum either, those guys are usually really helpful.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       08-24-2017, 6:57 AM Reply   
more bow weight for SURE. that's the typical ass heavy mushy wave in the 3rd pic. I think you're speed is a bit hot but we won't know until you get more bow weight. possible that MCC is off by 3 or 4 mph? almost 14 is way fast
Old     (petrie141)      Join Date: Jun 2012       08-24-2017, 12:49 PM Reply   
There are sort of a lot of factors that come into play here and it seems like you're already aware of them. Most notably in my opinion are ballast set up/placement, speed, and placement of delta. I'm not familiar with that exact boat, but here's what I would try first on any boat.

Fill all your ballast about 1/2 way without a surfer in the water to make it evenly weighted. Place your wakeshaper wherever you normally do. Get up to wakesurfing speed, I'd say try around 10.5 first. Once the boat is holding consistent speed bump it up in small amounts, something like one click on the perfect pass. If you find a speed that gives you what you want run with it. If not, bump the speed back down to 10.5 and adjust the placement of your delta. Maybe flip it around, move it up and down, or forward or backward. In my experience, moving the shaper as far back as possible can help clean up and elongate the wave but you'll usually sacrifice a little push. Once you find a wave shape that you like, start filling your ballast a little more to see if the shape holds.

Hopefully that helps! Whenever you do find a good placement for your shaper make sure to take a picture of it so you can put it there next time.

Oh and for video, just throw it up on youtube and post a link.

Last edited by petrie141; 08-24-2017 at 12:52 PM.
Old     (Grizz)      Join Date: Jul 2017       08-24-2017, 1:55 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the advise.....just to see what would happen, I tried no wake shaper with full ballast on the rear surf side only......

Not as tall but longer with I'm told way more pull......I'm going to try more bow weight later this afternoon when some friends arrive.
Old     (infinitysurf)      Join Date: Apr 2017       08-24-2017, 2:57 PM Reply   
More ballast always = better wave...bow ballast is important for length but some hull designs don't like bow weight and I think MC may be one of them. I have seen 2 on our lake that run bow sky high and I honestly dont know how they even see to drive. But beyond that....check your speed with a phone app or something. No way you are really going 13.8....if you are that could be part of your issue. Going that fast with also decrease wave size. For bigger, shorter wave you would go slower (like 10-10.6)....I surf at 11-11.2 and some people go just a touch faster. I dont know anyone that surfs over 12mph on regular basis tho. Thinking your system is not giving you a correct speed if it says 13.8. Good luck with it