Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-07-2013, 3:43 PM Reply   
My fiance and I are looking at getting our first real/semi real camera. I was pretty much all set on buying a Nikon D5100 because of the deals on them right now since the D5200 came out but then we went to Best Buy and the sales associate there recommended the Sony Nex-5R. Now I am not sure if there is outside motivation for him to push this camera because of a sales spiff or something but what are other's thoughts. The guy actually seemed really knowledgeable about the camera's, especially the Nex-5, and ran through a ton of features. He really seemed to know the camera in and out. I wasn't really expecting that out of a Best Buy employee for some reason. Anyway, the things we really liked were the small size, touch screen, the lighting adjustment that could be seen on the screen, wifi, etc...

I am not planning to ever be or pretend to be a pro photographer. I think we will mostly use it for taking pictures of landscapes out in nature, portraits and maybe the occasional short video. I have a feeling the large size of the Nikon DSLR might keep us from wanting to take it with us sometimes. I also think the automatic/intuitive feeling of the Sony will benefit us more than the DSLR. It looks like I can get a bundle of either camera that comes with the body, a 18-55 lense, a 55-210(sony) or a 55-300(D5100) and some other things for about $900.

Is there anything that I am missing or a reason as to stay away from the Sony.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       04-08-2013, 9:56 AM Reply   
comparatively speaking, you'll be able to get good glass for the nikon more cheaply than the sony because nikon is so ubiquitous. But there are converters out there that will allow you to adapt a nex to a sony alpha or minolta maxxum "a mount" lens (but then you have the goofy conundrum of a big ol' lens on a little tiny camera body).

I recently was deciding between the d3200 or d5100 and canon t3i/t4i, and ended up going with a sony a57. It's a slt (DSLR) body and has many (most/all?) of the same features of the nex that you like (digital viewfinder with lighting effects shown / wysiwyg). It doesn't have wifi built in, but I got an eye-fi card for it, which basically adds wifi.

Why sony? For me a couple of things. First, 10fps shooting in burst mode (nice for action shots) and second 1080 60p video with good autofocus. The video from this camera is really really good.

There are also lots of older minolta lenses out there ripe for the picking. Mostly I've been shooting with a 50mm prime, but also a 71-210 f4 minolta "beercan," and I've been really happy with the results.

I'm no pro AT ALL, but it has been a fun way to learn some photography. The 50 prime really makes you think about framing your shot.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-08-2013, 2:08 PM Reply   
well I am impatient as all hell so I went to best buy today and bought the Nex-5r. Normal price for the camera and 18-55 lense was $750 plus $350 for the 55-210mm lense. Bestbuy had the camera marked down $100 and another $100 off for bundling with the 55-210 lense. I got the body plus 2 lenses for $900 plus had them throw in a 32gig 45mb/s sd card and a manfretto bag. I did pay $140 for a 3 year extended warranty because it comes with a free battery replacement and the battery alone for this thing is $80 or so. Got 0% interest for 18 months if I feel like paying for it that slow. Only problem is now I have to wait a week for it to come in since I ordered it in black. Now I need to start reading up on how to use it.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       04-08-2013, 3:07 PM Reply   
Sounds like a pretty fair deal. http://www.adorama.com/ISONEX5RKB5.html