Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (RideClaytorVT)      Join Date: Oct 2010       08-03-2015, 9:55 AM Reply   
I am wondering if anyone can relate here.....

Reader Warning (Gross topic)

I always somehow end up tearing off the calluses on my hands when I ride hard, and it blows because they hurt like sh*t when I ride afterwards. Basically, they get really thick and the skin builds up during the week working out at the gym and such. On the weekends when I go to ride, if I am really gripping the handle tight and go down, they always tend to rip off.

What do people do to take care of their hands? Do any of you experience similar problems?

Any help or advice would be appreciated!
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-03-2015, 10:36 AM Reply   
Use fingernail clippers to trim them down before they rip.
Old     (TomH)      Join Date: Jan 2014       08-03-2015, 10:38 AM Reply   
Your best bet will probably be to change handles - either to a different diameter or different grip material (or both). And as John mentioned, trim down the callouses, but I'd probably file them over clipping.
Old     (biggator)      Join Date: Jul 2010       08-03-2015, 12:48 PM Reply   
Wear gloves and **** anyone who makes fun of you for it.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       08-03-2015, 12:53 PM Reply   
Adjust your grip on the handle and maybe try a different grip. If you are wrapping your hand around the handle, sounds like you're holding on wrong - I'd try to loosen your grip and hold on more with your fingers than your hands - this way your callouses sit on top of the handle and not in front of it. Think of rock climbing or doing pullups on a bar - your fingers hang you from the bar, not your hands.

Maybe don't try to hold on so hard when you fall either.

All that said, I had a callouse rip this year landing a TS 3 wrapped - I did not execute the trick smoothly and the handle got shifted in my grip and slid from my palm to my finger tips. I blamed not having strong hands for my situation - yours sounds like technique as much as anything.

Good luck.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       08-03-2015, 2:23 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggator View Post
Wear gloves and **** anyone who makes fun of you for it.
^^^^^ THIS.

I wear gloves and don't give a sh** if people give me crap about it. I can throw a handful of non-invert tricks and I'm still the best rider on the boat 99% of the time, so I wouldn't listen to the haters anyway.
Old     (antoddio)      Join Date: Dec 2006       08-03-2015, 2:38 PM Reply   
You mean like this?

Suck it up and ride, Nancy.

Seriously...I have that problem too, it's annoying.
Old     (RideClaytorVT)      Join Date: Oct 2010       08-04-2015, 8:55 AM Reply   
Thanks for all the tips guys!

I do normally ride with the handle resting more on my fingers than in the palm of my hand. I think I am just going to try and maintain the size of the calluses so they don't get too big. At this point I've managed to tear off way to many......

I don't think I will be going to glove route, but if trimming my calluses doesn't help then maybe I should look into a pair.....
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       08-04-2015, 9:08 AM Reply   
Now that I think about it, don't wear gloves. Bleeding, calloused hands are WAY cooler. You've really got your image to think about. And don't even think about wearing gloves when you go get pumped up at the gym. No way you could be cool at the gym with gloves... I'm sure you've got your rep to protect.

Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       08-04-2015, 9:31 AM Reply   
It's all in the handle. Some handles just suck! Larger diameter non chamois grip are what I prefer. If I ride and use my smaller handle byerly handle more than one set I will end up ripping a callous everytime!
I just ordered a Ronix 1 cat tongue handle I'll report back how that goes!
I've got a older liquid force Goliath handle which I absolutely love but she's getting alittle worn!
Old     (T_A)      Join Date: Feb 2013       08-04-2015, 7:06 PM Reply   
Chamois or hide handles do it. I cut the hide grip off my Ronix handles and it's just memory foam underneath and oh so nice to hold on too.
Old     (Dissociative)      Join Date: Nov 2013       08-05-2015, 1:21 AM Reply   
Well if you ride cable then you're at the mercy of the wooden handles.

I have a similar problem. I use gloves occassionally (well, I actually use my Nike gym gloves...) but I still get my hands wrecked sometimes. I do think it's mostly caused by my attempts to recover from wrong landings.
Old     (dvsone79)      Join Date: Dec 2012       08-06-2015, 1:21 PM Reply   
Shave those suckers down. One of these from Amazon or you can get them for like $5 at a drug store: http://www.amazon.com/Tweezerman-Saf.../dp/B000G62I12
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-07-2015, 11:33 AM Reply   
I wear gloves on the skinny wooden handles at the cable. But OWC has fat wooden handles and I gave up wearing gloves on them. Still keep a pair handy in case my hands start hurting.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       08-07-2015, 1:34 PM Reply   
Just keep the calluses building and eventually you will have bear paws with built in gloves.

I prefer this method and it works great.

Plus gloves increase the diameter of the bar making it inherently harder to hold onto for those with smaller hands
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-07-2015, 5:47 PM Reply   
^ the improved grip you get with gloves easily offsets any negligible difference based upon micro changes in the ratio of handle diameter to hand, as really the gloves are not that thick. Just make sure they are not too small that you cannot close your hand all the way. And remember they stretch when wet. Properly fitted good quality gloves should be difficult to get on when dry.

Easiest solution is just to shave em down, as already stated. You can use a regular utility razor blade in a pinch, just don't leave it laying around where a child can find it.

If you are gonna try gloves then splurge and get Radar Strada with the BOA system, well worth the extra bucks. I guess most people are fashion sheep and probably would't wanna try gloves anyway just because there is a stigma against it from back in the skiboard days. I kinda like being the only one at the cable park wearing gloves, especially when they are all ripped and held together with duct tape. Against the Grain.
Old     (brettw)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-09-2015, 7:18 AM Reply   
http://www.amazon.com/ONeill-1-5mm-P...27neill+gloves

I recently bought the ONeill Psycho gloves and think they're great.
Old     (EchoSkis)      Join Date: Mar 2015       08-09-2015, 2:16 PM Reply   
Everyone in our crew uses WOD Repair Lotion. They are not affiliated with Echo Skis in anyway, they just make some good callous products.
http://www.wodrepairlotion.com/
Old     (Kane)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-09-2015, 11:12 PM Reply   

Old     (3FRule)      Join Date: May 2015       08-10-2015, 5:22 AM Reply   
Hahahaha