Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (jhmeg2)      Join Date: Jul 2014       07-19-2015, 8:43 AM Reply   
Hello all! I'm kind of new to boating and wakeboarding. I bought myself an 18' Four Winns Horizon bow rider last year for my birthday. I found a few Hyper Lite wakeboard (3) 2 older style and one newer)) for $100. I can get up and play. Cleared wake to wake a few times. Wiped out a few more. but I need a tower. Space is limited to have even one wakeboard and knee board on the deck. So, looking to get something that will do the job, and now cost me a lot of money. I try to get out each weekend if I can find people to go.. I am a disabled veteran, so I stay within my limits, don't need a $100,000 boat or a $2,000 tower, for as much as I use it. Looking for something that I can keep my original Bimini top too. Also, any tips for a better wake? I'm still learning. I found that moving three people to the aft seats, gives a better wake. And I try to get the driver to hold around 18-20 mph.

Ok, ready.... GO!
Old     (on_wi)      Join Date: Feb 2013       07-19-2015, 6:14 PM Reply   
I don't know much about aftermarket towers, but I think Monster towers have a good reputation.

As for improving the wake, I'd start by making sure the boat is balanced to ensure that both sides of the wake are nice and clean. It may clean up a little if you increase the speed as well. Another 2 mph may make a big difference.
As you get comfortable you'll find you might enjoy a bigger wake. You can accomplish that with people or water weight. When I had a bayliner with a tower I rode a few times with a boat full of people and it was plenty for my ability. If you like it you can accomplish the same thing with extra ballast bags on the seats and a pump.

There is plenty you can learn and do without putting a ton of money into the boat or a pro wake. Get good at toe side jumping and both heel and toe switch riding. Surface tricks and ollies can open you to a ton of stuff to work on. Enjoy it.
Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-19-2015, 9:03 PM Reply   
Welcome to the wonderful world of wakeboarding! It's more fun and more painful than golf, but not as infuriating. To get the best wake out of your boat, make sure you have equal weight side-to-side. Also, as a starting point, shoot for 60 percent of the weight in the rear, and 40 percent in the bow. With respect to boards, size matters. Check the sizing chart for the boards you have, and see if they are appropriate for your weight. A board that's too small makes things much more difficult, and wears you out faster. From everything I've heard, Monster makes a pretty decent aftermarket tower.
Old     (jhmeg2)      Join Date: Jul 2014       07-19-2015, 10:16 PM Reply   
Thanks. I'm looking at an origin tower and racks. And monster MTE tower. Price is a big deal for as much as I use ir, and both are made of the same material. Switch riding is tough to learn.
Old     (WakeJp12)      Join Date: Apr 2013       07-20-2015, 5:55 PM Reply   
I was in the same boat as you when I started wakebording (no pun intended) I had an old 19 ft Monterey ski boat… the wake was terrible. I definitely recommend getting a Monster Tower, they're cheap (I think mine was like $700) and they get the job done for sure. I'd also recommend investing in some fat sacs. They are basically giant bags that fill up with water and weight your boat down, which makes the wake bigger. & they're only a couple hundred bucks… still way cheaper than buying a new wake boat!
Old     (jhmeg2)      Join Date: Jul 2014       07-30-2015, 7:49 AM Reply   
Thanks for the input. I ordered an Aerial Ascent 2.0 tower, one wake board rack, one knee board rack, speakers, and a mirror. $1000. The season is 2/3 over up here in Wisconsin, but, I'll get it on and use it for sure. The wake is small. Maybe fat sacs are in my future.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       07-30-2015, 8:59 AM Reply   
Personally I would go with a Monster Tower. I have helped my friends install several of these. They make a great universal tower that really only took us a few hours to install each time. I've never installed the MTE but have installed several MT2's. The directions that they come with are very straight forward and easy to follow. Another option with Monster would be to see if they have any Blem Towers they would be will to sell you at a discount. I help a buddy install a powder coated black MT2 that was a Blem. Functionally it was perfect, but there were a few slight imperfections in the powder coating that are only really noticeable if you look for them. I think he saved a few hundered buck on the tower by purchasing the Blem tower.

Welcome to the Wakeboard Party! More importantly thank you for your service!
Old     (jhmeg2)      Join Date: Jul 2014       07-30-2015, 4:52 PM Reply   
Thank you. Well, I already ordered it, and didn't want the cheapest I could find. Hope it works out for me. I'm thinking about the biggest 3/8 marine birch backing plate I can fit on the inside.... opinions?
Old     (robbo3)      Join Date: Jul 2015       07-30-2015, 5:07 PM Reply   
We started out with the same boat. Adjust the rope to put yourself in the right spot on the wake, also use the trim to your advantage...that should help a lot. Keep your speed at 20 or under and you should have a decent wake.

I never had a tower on that boat, but is should also help.

Where are you in Wisco?
Old     (jhmeg2)      Join Date: Jul 2014       07-30-2015, 5:18 PM Reply   
Yeah, I been shortening the rope 5 feet at a time. I think I found a spot that gets me in the cleanest part of the wake. I just started playing with trim. So far, 3/8 up is about the best, with driver and three persons in the aft most seating. Trying to get my driver to hold at about 20mph.
Old     (robbo3)      Join Date: Jul 2015       07-30-2015, 6:49 PM Reply   
One more thing, throw a 14x20 4-blade prop on there, it'll be easier to hold in that 18-20 mph range. You'll lose a little on top end, but the performance boost for tow sports is worth it. You're rope will probably end up at the 60' mark.
Old     (mark197)      Join Date: Dec 2009       07-30-2015, 8:52 PM Reply   
Hey Patrick where are you from? I have a great crew that rides the Fox River and we are always welcoming new people. Shoot me a pm if you are interested.
Old     (jhmeg2)      Join Date: Jul 2014       07-31-2015, 9:55 AM Reply   
Do3s the prop make a difference in the wake at all, or is it more for the boat control?
Old     (robbo3)      Join Date: Jul 2015       07-31-2015, 4:11 PM Reply   
The prop will give you greater boat control and allow you to maintain a slower speed. It's difficult to hold 20 with the 3-blade as you're right on the edge of planing out. The 4-blade drops that to about 15, so you're not constantly battling on/off plane.

I bought mine from a prop shop in Oconomowoc that allowed me to try it out first, making it risk free.
Old     (jhmeg2)      Join Date: Jul 2014       07-31-2015, 5:07 PM Reply   
Oh nice. Wish I was closer to Oconomowoc. How much are they?
Old     (robbo3)      Join Date: Jul 2015       08-01-2015, 6:30 PM Reply   
I think it was around $150, the best money I spent on that boat. You could also check around to see if there are any shops local to you with a similar policy, I think it's fairly common.
Old     (jhmeg2)      Join Date: Jul 2014       08-01-2015, 7:33 PM Reply   
Will do thanks
Old     (jhmeg2)      Join Date: Jul 2014       08-02-2015, 5:15 PM Reply   
Started doing board slides outside the wake, I get up regular, board slide to switch, up the wake toe side, to 180 into the flat. Outside to starboard, then wake to wqke heal grab. All this was learned today. It feels gold tl learn more and get a little outside my comfort zone.
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       08-07-2015, 9:10 AM Reply   
I started with a Four Winns IO and the prop is huge in not only getting more weight out of the hole but holding speed. The other thing that made a HUGE difference for me was getting a hydrofoil stabilizer on your outdrive.
I am surprised that nobody actually has mentioned this yet.
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       08-07-2015, 9:12 AM Reply   
Oh.... and the stainless High Five prop made a difference for me. The lowest pitch that you can find.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       08-07-2015, 9:53 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene3x View Post
Oh.... and the stainless High Five prop made a difference for me. The lowest pitch that you can find.
Yes, people keep saying 4 blade etc but pitch is a big deal, you need to pitch down to hold speed better, get the motor more into the power band/cruising RPMs at lower speeds...
Old     (jhmeg2)      Join Date: Jul 2014       08-07-2015, 10:02 AM Reply   
It's a 3 blade 23p now... what's a recommendation?
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       08-07-2015, 10:05 AM Reply   
What's your top speed and wide open throttle rpms? I am assuming you've got the 4.3L V-6?

I'd say at least a 21p if not a 19p high 5
Old     (jhmeg2)      Join Date: Jul 2014       08-07-2015, 11:37 AM Reply   
Not really sure what top speed is. I don't really care about top speed, so never checked it. But I'm going out tomorrow, so I'll find out. I typically stay around 2600ish rpm at 20mph I think. But I'll double check. Yes 4.3 merc.
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       08-07-2015, 12:56 PM Reply   
I think you can get a pitch as low as 17 on the High Five. I highly recommend going as low as possible.
Old     (RPM_DLX)      Join Date: Jul 2010       08-07-2015, 1:16 PM Reply   
Look at www.diywake.com for better prices on towers. I put the reborne tower on my old crownline and it worked great and was alot less expensive than the other manufactures
Old     (jhmeg2)      Join Date: Jul 2014       08-07-2015, 4:54 PM Reply   
Thanks, but I already got the tower, and installed it this past weekend. Getting out tomorrow to try it for the first time. I seen most people use 3/8 5x8 as backing plates. I used 1/2" birch 5x8. I'm thinking maybe it will from better to the inside of the hull.
Old     (jhmeg2)      Join Date: Jul 2014       08-09-2015, 5:57 PM Reply   
BIG difference. I love the tower. Getting across the wake a lot easier. Getting up is soon much easier too. Now just have to teach my driver how to drive.
Old     (EchoSkis)      Join Date: Mar 2015       08-09-2015, 6:17 PM Reply   
How do you like the quality of the tower? We are working on a budget build for Echo Skis and that is one of the towers on our list.
The next upgrade you might consider is a speed control system such as Perfect Pass. If you have new drivers or are constantly changing drivers it makes a world of difference. There is nothing that bugs me more than fluctuating speed.
Old     (jhmeg2)      Join Date: Jul 2014       08-10-2015, 5:36 PM Reply   
I love to tower. A tower makes a big difference in the pull, and lift off of the wake.
Old     (dukeno1)      Join Date: May 2006       08-12-2015, 5:42 PM Reply   
Hey man good job! Sounds like you are on the right track and making good progress. I would second getting the right prop to make it easier to keep your boat at the proper speed. Post some pics of your set up and maybe a video of your riding. I am a average rider at best so no tips for you. I just try to do what my old body will put up with and have fun. Thanks for your service man....much respect for you guys and gals!
Old     (jhmeg2)      Join Date: Jul 2014       08-13-2015, 1:07 PM Reply   
Thanks Tim. Not sure how to post videos. But a pic of my setup? What specifically?
Old     (dukeno1)      Join Date: May 2006       08-13-2015, 7:40 PM Reply   
I just meant your boat/tower etc....I never get tired of looking at boats, lol.
Old     (jhmeg2)      Join Date: Jul 2014       08-14-2015, 6:52 AM Reply   
I'll try and put one in my profile