Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Aligator)      Join Date: Jul 2015       08-09-2015, 1:49 PM Reply   
So I've narrowed down my choice of purchase to either 1 of the following 4:
2015 Slingshot Reflex
2015 Slingshot Recoil
2015 Slingshot Response
2015 CWB Dowdy

Unfortunately I don't have the chance to demo of them so I have to go with word of mouth.

What I'm looking for:
- Board for mostly boat but also want to try cable park
- I don't want to sacrifice speed
- I still want to have pop

If you need any more information let me know, I'm leaning more towards the Reflex because supposingly it's a good inbetween board so if I do start park I'm good.

Thanks for the info guys!
Old     (homedawg678)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-09-2015, 5:20 PM Reply   
They say recoil is boat only but since its totally flat bottom i love using it at the cable as well as opposed to one of the boards they market as hybrids.
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-09-2015, 10:56 PM Reply   
If your primary riding is boat, I would opt for the Response over the Reflex. The boards ride extremely similar, but the Reflex is a bit slipper in the water, due to the rounded edges and the chined rails. Personally I like the release of the diamond tips on the Response better than the round tips on the Reflex. The Response will feel just a bit faster in the water than the Reflex, and quite a bit faster than the Recoil.

I wouldn't let the "Boat" "Cable" and "Crossover" labels Slingshot put on the boards this year steer you one direction or another. All have a suitable slider base (except for maybe the Choice). The Response/Recoil have a Durabase where the "Park" boards have the Evershred base. I have ridden both at the cable and there is a minor difference in speed on rail and in durability IMO.
Old     (Aligator)      Join Date: Jul 2015       08-10-2015, 5:25 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyost View Post
If your primary riding is boat, I would opt for the Response over the Reflex. The boards ride extremely similar, but the Reflex is a bit slipper in the water, due to the rounded edges and the chined rails. Personally I like the release of the diamond tips on the Response better than the round tips on the Reflex. The Response will feel just a bit faster in the water than the Reflex, and quite a bit faster than the Recoil.

I wouldn't let the "Boat" "Cable" and "Crossover" labels Slingshot put on the boards this year steer you one direction or another. All have a suitable slider base (except for maybe the Choice). The Response/Recoil have a Durabase where the "Park" boards have the Evershred base. I have ridden both at the cable and there is a minor difference in speed on rail and in durability IMO.
But wouldn't it be better for me to get a 3 stage rocker?? To increase my pop? So shouldn't I go with the Recoil
Old     (Aligator)      Join Date: Jul 2015       08-10-2015, 5:26 AM Reply   
I also meant the CWB Reverb not the CWB Dowdy sorry!
Old     (Aligator)      Join Date: Jul 2015       08-10-2015, 5:32 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aligator View Post
But wouldn't it be better for me to get a 3 stage rocker?? To increase my pop? So shouldn't I go with the Recoil
As for the Reflex do the chined rails make a signficant difference when edging or just when doing surface spins? Because I love the loose feeling
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-10-2015, 7:06 AM Reply   
I can't speak for any of the Slingshot stuff, but I can tell you that the Reverb is a phenomenal board. It rides high in the water with very little drag. Smooth and loose feeling with the perfect amount of edge. I've been on it for two seasons and can't imagine riding anything else. I think it's the best board in their line.

I've also ridden it at the park 4-5 times. It does fine, but the molded fins took a beating. Expect to tear them up pretty quick.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       08-10-2015, 2:25 PM Reply   
Where is your riding at?

I would never put a novice on a slingshot unless I was starting them completely from scratch.
Old     (Aligator)      Join Date: Jul 2015       08-10-2015, 5:03 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplej View Post
Where is your riding at?

I would never put a novice on a slingshot unless I was starting them completely from scratch.
Well I've been riding my 2012 Obrien Clutch 142, not too fond of the board very heavy and really hard to get a nice pop.

About 2 years now I got some surface spins down, some wake to wake jumps, nothing fancy on the jumps though mostly just grabs some 180s I'm not the best but I'm learning
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       08-10-2015, 5:35 PM Reply   
Then I wouldn't get a slingshot.

Going to a very very loose board at this point in your riding could have a negative impact on your progression.

Likewise with flex, you will have to relearn edging and pop, which can hinder progression.

My .02
Old     (Aligator)      Join Date: Jul 2015       08-10-2015, 5:48 PM Reply   
Quote:
Then I wouldn't get a slingshot.

Going to a very very loose board at this point in your riding could have a negative impact on your progression.

Likewise with flex, you will have to relearn edging and pop, which can hinder progression.

My .02
Well to be honest I actually like the loose feeling, is that a bad thing?
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       08-10-2015, 6:08 PM Reply   
Loose is good, but you will just have to work a lot harder and have strong fundamental technique to take advantage of the flex board. It is easier to jump on them from the get go, or after you have really solid fundamentals than hop on them somewhere in between
Old     (Aligator)      Join Date: Jul 2015       08-11-2015, 6:16 AM Reply   
Quote:
Loose is good, but you will just have to work a lot harder and have strong fundamental technique to take advantage of the flex board. It is easier to jump on them from the get go, or after you have really solid fundamentals than hop on them somewhere in between
What kind of board do you suggest?
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       08-11-2015, 6:31 AM Reply   
A traditional wakeboard like. CWB reverb
Old     (Aligator)      Join Date: Jul 2015       08-11-2015, 7:43 AM Reply   
Any feedback on Slingshot Oli?

I kinda don't want to get the Reverb because the fins are molded if they take a beating at the cable park at least if they're not molded I can remove them or replace them
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-11-2015, 9:00 AM Reply   
I would get a reverb for the boat and find a cheap cable board.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       08-11-2015, 9:00 AM Reply   
Then go with something like a CWB faction with removable fins

Or do what Jarrod advises.

I used to run the same board but decided it would be best to run 2 separate boards for boat/cable this year.
Old     (theloungelife)      Join Date: Jun 2012 Location: Salt Lake City, UT       08-11-2015, 9:50 AM Reply   
I hate to hijack, but anyone ridden the blue pill from Slingshot? How does it compare to the recoil?
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       08-11-2015, 10:00 AM Reply   
Haven't ridden it but I know about it: stiffer, faster, not as 3-stagey
Old     (Ttime41)      Join Date: Nov 2011       08-11-2015, 10:10 AM Reply   
Contrary to what a lot of you guys are saying, not all slingshot boards ride super loose. I ride a response, and I find that it locks on edge as hard as the 2012 Hyperlite Marek that I was on before. For me, the transition was easy. Not a whole lot of difference in technique, ride style, etc. The biggest differences I noticed switching to Slingshot were more explosive pop and softer landings. I also teach a wakeboard camp, and had a lot of kids show up to camp with Slingshots this year learning wake-to-wakes, 3's, 5s, inverts, etc, so I would not buy into the idea that riding a flex board is going to hurt your progression. If you're looking for a good combination of speed and pop, I would check out the Oli or the Whip. Both solid boards for boat and cable riding too.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       08-11-2015, 11:12 AM Reply   
Well I guess I should explain.

The biggest issue I see with people on featureless and flex boards is pop and edging at the wake.

So many riders forsake TS jumps it is unreal, slingshots do rail in on edge really nicely, but you've got to get it on edge, and hold it on edge first. When your crank over on a traditional board channels and fins hold your edge nicely through the wake, even if you get off the gas a little a bit and are in general, more consistent for this reason. This factor is painfully apparent learning TS jumps.

This can make or break a rider learning TS jumps and just adds an extra level of frustration. When you start on a slingshot from the get go, it is all you know, when you hop on one after you get your basics down pat, it is fun and new. If you hop on in between it can be very frustrating for some.

It's really all about consistency
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       08-11-2015, 4:00 PM Reply   
Quote:
Any feedback on Slingshot Oli?

I kinda don't want to get the Reverb because the fins are molded if they take a beating at the cable park at least if they're not molded I can remove them or replace them
I was wondering why you didn't mention the Oli from the start. the response is the progressive rocker and when I was talking with the guys at slingshot, they said most all of the people that try the response and the Oli definitely prefer the hybrid rocker on the Oli. that's what I went with.

At Demo days, I also tried the Whip and liked it a lot. it felt very similar to my Oli. I also tried the Windsor and I didn't like it. it just felt off for me.

My Oli is a 2014 and the whip and Windsor were 2015's.
Old     (Aligator)      Join Date: Jul 2015       08-12-2015, 8:24 AM Reply   
So I've came down to either the Reflex or the Oli both 2015 models gonna equip them with the RAD Bindings
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       08-12-2015, 8:27 AM Reply   
Quote:
So I've came down to either the Reflex or the Oli both 2015 models gonna equip them with the RAD Bindings
I vote Oli with Rad's! For obvious reasons...

Never rode a reflex though. :-)
Old     (Aligator)      Join Date: Jul 2015       08-12-2015, 12:27 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by trayson View Post
I vote Oli with Rad's! For obvious reasons...

Never rode a reflex though. :-)
I'm leaning towards the Oli but I'm just a bit sketched with the Naca tech how is it?
Does the board have a nice pop? And do the Chined Rails or rolled whatever they are affect your edge??
Old     (brainrinse)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-12-2015, 1:18 PM Reply   
I ride a Recoil as my primary and Choice as my secondary. The Recoil has the stepped down rails and the Choice is just a flat wall. IMO it makes very little difference. The main difference I notice between the boards is the amount of flex.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       08-12-2015, 1:22 PM Reply   
Quote:
I'm leaning towards the Oli but I'm just a bit sketched with the Naca tech how is it?
Does the board have a nice pop? And do the Chined Rails or rolled whatever they are affect your edge??
Can't really say I've put any thought into the channels and what they do. What I've found is that the board will rotate very easily. On my 8 year old hyperlite, I'd do toeside 180's very regularly and with the slingshot, I find that the board wants to spin to 360 when I put in the same input that I would on a 180.

I don't think you'll go wrong either way. and I found the differences between some of their boards was pretty subtle. But then again, I'm not throwing inverts or big spins, so you're probably a more capable rider than me.