Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       01-09-2013, 1:49 PM Reply   
Check out the latest sighting of the illusion tower.... Actually looks really good. Still an all around great tower.
Attached Images

Old     (spencerwm)      Join Date: Feb 2009       01-09-2013, 2:37 PM Reply   
Oh great... This thing has a giant swim platform too so I will get to hear about how safe wakesurfing behind this thing will be.I can hear it now, "The sales guy said they surf it all the time."

These manufacturers are putting costumes on runabout boats so that they appear to fit within the tow boat category. It just takes sales away from legitimate water sports manufacturers.

Some guy will buy this at the show this weekend, call me this summer because it just doesn't have the wake that he thought it would and then I will have to drop the unfortunate news. YOU BOUGHT AN I/O.

Sorry for the rant. Must be boat show season.
Old     (sandm01)      Join Date: May 2010       01-09-2013, 4:04 PM Reply   
it must be a towboat. it has sideswipe exhaust
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       01-09-2013, 6:15 PM Reply   
Tower, sideswipe exhaust, large platform....gotta be. Sales guy told me it was a wakeboard boat!!!

Sure it's safe to wakesurf an I/O, never mind the turning prop of death in your face when you fall!!
Old     (MICAH_HARPER)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-10-2013, 5:22 AM Reply   
Why all the hate Fourwinns makes a good looking boat...not sure why alot of people who own Inboards have it in for people who own I/O
Its a good looking boat.
And any one who is legit about wakeboarding knows that an I/O is probably not going to put out a wake the size of a Wake Specific boat.
Old     (jagermeister)      Join Date: Sep 2007       01-10-2013, 5:39 AM Reply   
Ahhhhh.. This site is called Wake World.. Not Wallie World....
Old     (MICAH_HARPER)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-10-2013, 6:00 AM Reply   
i have seen some guys kill it behind I/O just sayin
Old     (MICAH_HARPER)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-10-2013, 6:01 AM Reply   
but i agree that Inboards and I/O are non comparable
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       01-10-2013, 6:23 AM Reply   
I think the thing is we all know that is being marketed as a "wakeboard" boat!!

Nothing wrong with a For Winns, my father has one and it's been a solid boat. But it's not a wakeboard boat!!
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-10-2013, 6:34 AM Reply   
If i owned Four Winns, i'd do the same thing. I would not market it as safe for surfing but why not design that boat? Looks sharp IMO if you want an I/0 that looks like a wake boat
Old     (spencerwm)      Join Date: Feb 2009       01-10-2013, 10:22 AM Reply   
Nothing wrong with the boat. In fact the fit and finish on this model is pretty damn good. It is just marketed as a Wakeboard boat. I get a little angry when I go to the boat show and there are surf boards in the I/O boat tower racks.

A lot of us grew up riding behind I/O's or even outboards but times have changed and we aren't just wakeboarding anymore.
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       01-10-2013, 2:24 PM Reply   
" I get a little angry when I go to the boat show and there are surf boards in the I/O boat tower racks"
Shows that they really don't know what they are talking about!
Nice tower though!

Last edited by joeshmoe; 01-10-2013 at 2:27 PM. Reason: added stuff
Old     (bhyatt_ohp)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-10-2013, 2:32 PM Reply   
I see this as a huge opportunity for inboard dealers to showcase signage this year at the boat shows explaining the dangers of I/O surfing and the disguise these I/O manufactures are putting on their standard issue runabouts.
Old     (MICAH_HARPER)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-10-2013, 2:40 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencerwm View Post
Nothing wrong with the boat. In fact the fit and finish on this model is pretty damn good. It is just marketed as a Wakeboard boat. I get a little angry when I go to the boat show and there are surf boards in the I/O boat tower racks.

A lot of us grew up riding behind I/O's or even outboards but times have changed and we aren't just wakeboarding anymore.
lol...angry?
Old     (alindquist)      Join Date: Mar 2004       01-10-2013, 2:43 PM Reply   
Just curious... if they put a 4' platform on the boat and let's just say that the back end of the platform is further from the prop than say an average wakeboard boat what is the problem with surfing behind it? Are you any more likely to fall under the platform than you are to fall under the hull of a v drive? My buddy's 272 Cobalt has an extended platform and from the back of the platform to where the prop is is at least 3'-4'. the platform sits just as low to the water as most wake boats do...
My boat doesn't have an extended platform, the prop sticks out past the back of the boat, so yeah I get it, don't surf...
Old     (LKASurfing)      Join Date: Nov 2011       01-10-2013, 2:54 PM Reply   
It all furthers the sport.....NO SURFING ON IT...But wake boarding?...Hell yeah...Mom & Dad buys this for the kids...They progress, they get an Inboard eventually. Everyone has to start somewhere. Plus, there are more people influencing these I/O's "wake boats" than you probably realize. Take a look at a small I/O company, Bryant. Their whole new line was designed by a past long time plant manager of Malibu. The hull design makes the wake, not the propulsion...
Lots of surfing going on on Yamahas, not promoted by Yamaha, but it is extremely popular. Surfwake is not clean but it works & safe. The wakeboard wake is actually very clean.
I am glad that as an industry that it is being promoted!
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       01-10-2013, 3:08 PM Reply   
An I/O hangs behind the boat somewhere around 3 feet. If your swim Platform hangs 3-4 feet beyond that, thats not a platform its a deck!! If the platform was 7 feet long it would drag in the wake so bad surfing wouldn't be possible anyway. So your telling me the platform is the size of some peoples patio's..awesome! Still wouldn't surf it.

To each there own, if you want to surf an I/O have at it. Problem is in my mind someone is going to get killed surfing an I/O and then the whole sport risks getting banned because the Government doesn't know the difference between an I/O and a V drive either.
Old     (spencerwm)      Join Date: Feb 2009       01-10-2013, 4:28 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by MICAH_HARPER View Post
lol...angry?
Yep angry. haha. I end up being the downer when I tell them we don't have any surf ballast for I/O's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boardman74 View Post
To each there own, if you want to surf an I/O have at it. Problem is in my mind someone is going to get killed surfing an I/O and then the whole sport risks getting banned because the Government doesn't know the difference between an I/O and a V drive either.
That is my fear. People have already told me that wakesurfing has been banned on their lake because law enforcement thinks it is the same as teak surfing.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       01-10-2013, 5:41 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardman74 View Post
An I/O hangs behind the boat somewhere around 3 feet. If your swim Platform hangs 3-4 feet beyond that, thats not a platform its a deck!! If the platform was 7 feet long it would drag in the wake so bad surfing wouldn't be possible anyway. So your telling me the platform is the size of some peoples patio's..awesome! Still wouldn't surf it.

Agreed.

What really frustrates me, is the guy who owns the I/O and takes all his buddies (who dont know any better) out "surfing"....none of the people on that boat know the dangers or the risks involved with surfing an I/O.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       01-10-2013, 6:18 PM Reply   
Pretty obvious to most on here. It's the spinning slicing blade that on an I/O is right about under the tip of your board. Better hope you don't go out the front!!!
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       01-10-2013, 10:53 PM Reply   
Ironically I spoke with those guys at the show today.....Before I saw this thread! I asked them how much they sold their Supreme 226 for. Got to talking about Four Winns. Decent looking boat. I didn't even bring it up but the salesman was quick to point out that you CAN'T surf behind these boats!! Makes me wonder if he has read this thread? (What are the odds?)

Heard another story from a Sanger owner who fell wake surfing at Shasta and had the rope wrap around his body. Had the scars to prove it, lucky to be alive....He surfed a short time after, but his desire to wakesurf again isn't there. Stay safe guys...

Last edited by lionel; 01-10-2013 at 10:59 PM.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       01-10-2013, 11:04 PM Reply   
never surf with a wakeboard rope, they cut like knives, 3rd or so story I have heard about this. Only use a large diameter rope and toss it as soon as you can with people in the boat pulling it up if you don't land it inside the boat.
Old     (MICAH_HARPER)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-11-2013, 4:47 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionel View Post
Ironically I spoke with those guys at the show today.....Before I saw this thread! I asked them how much they sold their Supreme 226 for. Got to talking about Four Winns. Decent looking boat. I didn't even bring it up but the salesman was quick to point out that you CAN'T surf behind these boats!! Makes me wonder if he has read this thread? (What are the odds?)

Heard another story from a Sanger owner who fell wake surfing at Shasta and had the rope wrap around his body. Had the scars to prove it, lucky to be alive....He surfed a short time after, but his desire to wakesurf again isn't there. Stay safe guys...
he is an idiot for having it wrapped around his body
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       01-11-2013, 10:54 PM Reply   
Micah, I should clarify. It was pure accident. He didn't have if wrapped around his body on purpose, he was pulling himself closer to the boat, he fell forward, the rope somehow went around his back, torso and one complete time around one of his arms. Hard to describe in writing, but basically around his body, he has scars from the pull of the boat. Thankfully boat driver stopped ASAP.