Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 17, 2003

Old     (dgarland0)      Join Date: Apr 2003       10-29-2003, 3:54 PM Reply   
I am looking at buying a boat in the next few months. Have looked at a 2004 Moomba Outback and a 1999 Supra Launch with about 200 hours. Boat will be used for water skiing and wake boarding, and the prices are basically the same. What are you opinions?

Thanks,

Dave Garland
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       10-29-2003, 7:44 PM Reply   
I think that you may be getting ripped a bit on the Supra price if a 2004 Outback is comparably priced.
What is the base on the 04 Outback - $33k or so? I've seen a couple of 2001 Supra Launchs on Flipsell with moderate hours going for $30-32k. I suppose it does depend on how optioned out each boat is.

Old     (dgarland0)      Join Date: Apr 2003       10-29-2003, 8:19 PM Reply   
The Outback is 26,000 new, and the Supra is 25,000 nicely equipped.

Dave
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-30-2003, 6:40 AM Reply   
I would go with the Moomba. Skiers Choice didn't really get turned around until 2000. The quality on the 2000 and newer Moomba's and Supra's is far superior to the pre 2000's.

This is what I found when I was looking for my boat.
Old    wakeboard_dad            10-30-2003, 7:20 AM Reply   
I agree with Cliff. Go with the Moomba. An '04 is a lot of value for the money. I would always buy new if possible and you can't go wrong with a new Moomba. Ordered my Mobius LSV a couple of weeks ago.
Old     (schmo)      Join Date: Oct 2003       10-30-2003, 9:37 AM Reply   
Just for reference, I love my 04 Moomba Mobius XLV. Got a great deal on it, throws a great wake and can take 16 people if the situation arises.

I don't know about the other 04's but the XLV has a great fit and finish in my opinion. Sure it isn't as fancy and plush as a CC, MC or Malibu but the quality is there, its just a bit more plain.

Anyway, I would go with a newer Moomba over an older Supra. With the introduction of the XLV, I think Moomba has closed the gap some to Supra and in the end, you have the same company backing your purchase. They post a lot on these wakeboarding boards too. :-)
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       10-30-2003, 9:38 AM Reply   
Wow, I had no idea that a new Outback was $26k. That is cheap. Does that include a tower?

I have to agree with the above, get the new Outback. You'll be happier and have far less to worry about if anything breaks.
Old     (dgarland0)      Join Date: Apr 2003       10-30-2003, 1:16 PM Reply   
Yes that includes a tower for the outback but no ballast. They are beautiful boats and so far you guys are pointing me in the same direction I was headed. Keep the opinions coming, and by the way it is a 2000 Supra Launch.

Dave
Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       10-30-2003, 1:37 PM Reply   
i always like getting new, but sometimes with used you get all the goodies with it... SO if you want all the goodies and your wallet ain't too phat.. get the used one.. Plus Supra's are much nicer
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       10-30-2003, 2:15 PM Reply   
Supras do "look" nicer and are finished a bit better, but there's something to be said about having a NEW boat. No worries, no hassles. Unless the Supra is optioned to the hilt, I'd go with the Outback.

You could get a couple of fat sacs for $150 or so and there's your ballast.

Old     (lehmur)      Join Date: Oct 2001       10-30-2003, 2:34 PM Reply   
I have a 2002 Supra and wouldn't trade it for the world, however, like some of the others I tend to buy new over old if the price is close.

I think it comes down to whether you'd like to get a warranty and just pay for the options later. (My Choice) or get the options now and risk not having a warranty to cover any problems.

The Supra definately has more space and I am betting a bigger engine 320hp standard for Supra vs. 310hp standard for Moomba. If you are going to use sacks you'll lose alot of space in the Outback whereas in the Supra you'll have it built in and even with sacks have lots of room.

On the other hand, if your engine bites the dust in the Moomba it is covered.

Both great boats and great prices. Good Luck and enjoy whatever you choose.
Old     (hatepwcs)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-30-2003, 2:51 PM Reply   
Another important thing to figure in is the finance rate which will be better on the new boat as opposed to a used boat.
Old    upupnaway            11-01-2003, 7:31 AM Reply   
What models are you looking at? Isn't the 2000 lauch a Direct Drive? (the 2000 supra has the 310 hp motor I beleive, not the 320 that they have now)
I love the Supra lauch's wake, you can get it monsterously large.
On the other hand, If you are looking at the outback ls or lsv, I would go for them for the direct drive.
Old    maverick_gear            11-01-2003, 8:34 AM Reply   
I've got a 2003 launch ssv gravity games loaded for 37,500......
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       11-02-2003, 6:08 AM Reply   
Dave. Smart decision on choosing either Supra or Moomba. They are the best value ever! I,ve owned both. I'm selling my 2001 Launch for 28,900 to get a new Supra. Check out my ad: http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/8/85224.html?1067779074
Its cold here and need an excuse to go to AZ
Old    maverick_gear            11-02-2003, 9:01 AM Reply   
chris buy my gravity it is sick