Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-23-2013, 5:12 PM Reply   
13 year old girl go's in to have Tonsils removed because of sleep apnea.
She has complications after surgery and is declared brain-dead.
She went in for surgery on Dec 3rd and then had complications and was declared brain-dead and placed on life support on Dec 9th. So she has been in life support for the better part of 3 weeks.
The hospital wants to pull the plug. But the family is doing everything in their legal power to prevent it. The family simply does not want to except that their child is brain-dead. Hospital had recommended that they have an independent doctor Assess whether she's brain-dead or not and she obviously is. They had recommended a top brain surgeon from Stanford come and offer his advice and opinion, but the family rejects this doctor and wants a different doctor from back East. Clearly a stall tactic requesting a doctor far away over the holidays. I think they think this will just buy them extra time. I understand the parents trying to fight for their child but clearly they don't understand what brain dead is. Extending life support is not going to bring their child back. Sad for all party's.

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-...s-at-childrens
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       12-24-2013, 1:03 PM Reply   
Why is it obvious? Because doctors are always right? I most definitely would prefer to pick my own independent counsel, than rely on a yes man that the hospital hires.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       12-24-2013, 4:10 PM Reply   
From where I read, it was little more detailed, but the mother had been pressing the call button and histerrically calling for the nurses to come in because her daughter was bleeding out and choking on her own blood. The nurses just kept telling her it was normal and didn't even bother coming to check on her for over 5 minutes and showed no urgency. By this time, she had already asphyxiated on her own blood and had to be revived. The lack of oxygen is what caused the brain damage.
Even if the bleeing was a normal thing, the lack of urgency from the staff is what is the root of what caused the brain damage.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-24-2013, 4:28 PM Reply   
I'm no medical expert but from what I understand. It's very easy to determine if someone is brain dead or not. Trying to argue the color of the sky is not going to bring her daughter back. I just saw it as a case as parents not willing to accept reality and using the courts to try and change it.
The case that the hospital screwd up and medical malpractice is wide open.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-24-2013, 5:24 PM Reply   
The court has decided that the hospital Does Not have to continue life support. The hospital only needs to continue life support until dec 30th 5pm. The family had not decided if they will appeal the courts decision.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       12-24-2013, 7:06 PM Reply   
You have kids grant?
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-25-2013, 5:30 AM Reply   
Train: no kids. But I have lots of nephews and love them like they were my own. I know it's not the same love a parent feels for their own and I understand that their are lengths parents are willing to go that are beyond reason and sometime good judgment to protect their children.
Like I said earlyer. I'm no medical expert and in this case I don't think you need to be. But if your Brain dead your done!
And keeping a brain dead person alive on life support because your a parent not willing to accept reality is again not reality.
It's a tragic unfortunate event that I'm sure is every parents nightmare. And I do understand the parents grieving and being upset beyond belief.
And if I thought all the posturing and legal moves would bring a 13 year old girl back to life this would not even be a issue.
Old     (wakeboardertj)      Join Date: May 2005       12-25-2013, 9:42 PM Reply   
As a medical professional I have to agree with G, she is gone and it is tragic, but extending her life, if you can call it that, for another 2 weeks is just delaying the inevitable and using finite resources.

The whole situation sucks, and definitely inexcusable for the nurse to dismiss a compromised airway without alerting the doctor right away.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       12-25-2013, 10:24 PM Reply   
I get what you guys are saying, but as a father, I cant even imagine how i would react to something like this. My niece just had her tonsils and adenoids removed like 2 weeks ago. On the surface, it seems like such a simple procedure. These people just lost a child because a nurse was probably tired of dealing with "annoying" patients who buzz them all day. Guess what lady, it's your job to react quickly to each and every patient regardless.
Let the parents have their own grieving period to decide what should happen. Deep inside they know what the inevitable outcome is. But in this moment, they should be allowed to pursue whatever options are out there.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       12-26-2013, 5:52 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly135 View Post
Why is it obvious? Because doctors are always right? I most definitely would prefer to pick my own independent counsel, than rely on a yes man that the hospital hires.
Will obamacare cover that?
Old     (deneng)      Join Date: Feb 2005       12-30-2013, 6:11 PM Reply   
Wow unfortunately there are people that scream and yell for no reason ,but that is why we have security and ethics committees to deal with them. So fear not to care for the neurotic folks out there. Nobody knows the circumstances. I can say from experience that people with sleep apnea are monitored. It is more common then not to have some drainage from a surgery. Swelling and some cough are to be expected. There is more to this story then what is being let out either to protect the family/patient. I am sure it is under investigation. There are so many policies in place to prevent this type of thing from happening. My guess is that either the family or the hospital itself had something to do with the main factors.
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       12-31-2013, 8:40 AM Reply   
Dennis ,
I have a feeling you are correct. I read earlier on the interwebs that another doctor said the surgery was not necessary to begin with. Said her sleeping problems were due to her being highly overweight. Surgery was easier then losing weight.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-31-2013, 8:56 AM Reply   
The Saga continues. They found a hospital to take the Brain dead girl.
The hospital wanted a breathing tube and feeding tube installed b4 they would accept her.
Oaklands children's hospital says they will NOT do the operation to insert the feeing tubes because they feel like operation on a brain dead person is not ethical ect.
The hospital had the right to remove life support yesterday. The court extend'd the deadline for a few more days.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       12-31-2013, 10:55 AM Reply   
This is just dumb. She is a corpse. Let her go.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-31-2013, 11:14 AM Reply   
^^^ I agree brain dead people fighting to keep a brain dead person alive all while using up valuable resources and courts time ect. Question where is all the money for this legal battle coming from.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       12-31-2013, 12:56 PM Reply   
Who gives a crap about the resources from the hospital being used up? Their ineptitude caused this girls death. It's not like a children's hospital is lacking for funds anyways.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       01-01-2014, 6:15 AM Reply   
Do have any feel for how many old people on their last leg languish around on life support for medicare money? I can imagine that the ventilator is the biggest money maker for the hospital. My guess is that the kid doesn't have insurance.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       01-06-2014, 5:19 AM Reply   
Now she has left the hospital in a private ambulance, with a private care team and is headed to some unknown New York based medical facility.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-06-2014, 8:32 AM Reply   
What does it tell you when the Hospital can only release the
Girl to the coroner!!!! And the coroner had to them release the girl back to her mom!

The family said that they were keeping the exact location and moving the girl shrouded in secrecy because the family had received threats??
Old     (DenverRider)      Join Date: Feb 2013       01-06-2014, 12:28 PM Reply   
I suspect that the private medical facility is her old bedroom at home. They'll keep her like a stuffed pet. so they never have to face reality. I bet this gets really weird before it's completely over.