Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 27, 2008

Old     (robertr720)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-26-2008, 11:19 AM Reply   
Hey guys, I have a slingshot response that I have been riding and I have already had 2 cases which ended in me needing to epoxy the board. The first was after a long day of sliding. The TS edge started to peel back and I put on some epoxy sanded it down and haven't had any problems. The second was from a dock start, I jumped off, rode my whole set and when I got back in the boat I noticed a big gash where a screw that must have been sticking up caught the board. I sanded out all of the loose material and got a nice pourace bonding surface and slapped on some epoxy, let it dry and sanded it smooth. Here in lies the question. The epoxy that I use to fix boards at the shop drys to a hard finish that can be sanded. Being that this is a flex board and the gash is on the bottom about square in the middle of the deck, do you guys think that the epoxy will break and crack until it falls off seeing as how the water will be able to help pull back the loose ends. I don't know, I am pretty sure that there is only one way to find out, just curious what you guys think.
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-26-2008, 11:49 AM Reply   
I believe Slingshot boards have a PTex bottom. If so I would go to your local SnowSki shop and get a stick of PTex and fill it in with that. Should be good as new.
Old     (robertr720)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-26-2008, 1:13 PM Reply   
I don't know, to be honest, I never really researched the construction methods or materials. The epoxy looks as though it might hold. I jumped up and down on the board to make it flex and recoil and so far there isn't any signs of the epoxy cracking but, I know that really riding the board will be much more harsh on it. Can you melt p tex and remold, then sand just like wax or something, I am not really familiar with the material. I know that LF uses the p tex base on thier wakeskates but it seems to be smoother, with more of a gloss finish, where as the slingshot board has a rougher matte look to it. Thanks for the sugestion though. I'll let you guys know what I find out.