Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 27, 2008

Old     (pnichols)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-25-2008, 7:23 AM Reply   
I checked my email this morning and here is the reply to the email I sent her yesterday.

Dear Mr. Nichols:

Thank you for writing me regarding the recent exemption made to an EPA regulation on the Clean Water Act regarding recreational boating

The Clean Water Act was originally enacted in 1948, but was significantly revised in 1972. Part of the bill, which set out to improve water quality, required permits for ships known for heavy polluting, such as cruise ships, container ships, and supertankers. While the legislation affected all aquatic vessels, the EPA exempted small recreational boats. However, the U.S. Court of Appeals recently determined that the EPA was acting beyond its scope with the exemption, and required the creation of a new permit system by September 2008.

We should be proud of the abundance of outdoor and recreational activities Ohio has to offer. Our state is home to the country’s eighth largest group of registered watercraft users, and the boating industry contributes $5.4 million in watercraft registration fees, $15.6 million in marine fuel taxes annually, and has an estimated overall impact of $2 billion dollars a year on Ohio's economy. Implementation of a new permit system has the potential to deter prospective recreational boat buyers and could also be harmful to the industry not only in Ohio, but across the United States as well.

I will continue to monitor this issue in the months ahead and will keep your thoughts in mind as legislation regarding this issue moves before the Senate.

Sincerely,
Sherrod Brown
Old    mendo247            03-25-2008, 7:47 AM Reply   
Thats pretty cool. Makes you wonder if she actually wrote it or someone below her. I would think she gets a ton of emails but who knows. I would have never of thought you would have gotten a reply! PROPS to your Senator!
Old     (pnichols)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-25-2008, 8:05 AM Reply   
I'm sure she had someone write it for her. Either way I appreciate the response and I'm glad she is on our side.
Old     (roverjohn)      Join Date: Dec 2007       03-25-2008, 8:33 AM Reply   
What part of that response make you think she is "on our side"? It looks like a superficial recitation of facts to me.
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-25-2008, 8:58 AM Reply   
"superficial recitation of facts"

i dont know ab you but i would probably have to do a little bit of research to find out that "Our state is home to the country’s eighth largest group of registered watercraft users, and the boating industry contributes $5.4 million in watercraft registration fees, $15.6 million in marine fuel taxes annually, and has an estimated overall impact of $2 billion dollars a year on Ohio's economy. Implementation of a new permit system has the potential to deter prospective recreational boat buyers and could also be harmful to the industry not only in Ohio, but across the United States as well."

i think its pretty cool that she found the time to even have someone research this and get back to you...
Old     (pnichols)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-25-2008, 8:58 AM Reply   
Implementation of a new permit system has the potential to deter prospective recreational boat buyers and could also be harmful to the industry not only in Ohio, but across the United States as well.
Old     (roverjohn)      Join Date: Dec 2007       03-25-2008, 9:28 AM Reply   
Or it has the potential to just cost us all $5/yr for another sticker. We don't know anything, now, about what the EPA has planned and it's unlikely the commercial boat regs would effect us much anyway because most don't carry raw sewage or liquid ballast from one body of water to another.
Old     (froese)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-25-2008, 9:36 AM Reply   
They have to respond, and it is always a group of workers that write the responses. Facts are typically restated in a matter of fact way. Try writing on any issue and you'll see similar types of responses (in any state).

The good thing is that your letter added a tally mark to a list somewhere. Hopefully this impacts her voting...
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-25-2008, 3:34 PM Reply   
I'm with Paul on this one. New permit system would be bad. Any legislation that has Barbera Boxers name on it should be ignored and you should stay far away from it. She is part of the emissions tax that is coming to all motor vehicle's. And for recreation vehicles...YOU ARE GOING TO GET TAXED TWICE. How? Through the new registration fees. They are not telling you that info. Instead of paying 15 to 20 dollars every three years in Michigan....I will be paying 300 every three years in Michigan. Barbera Boxer is buds with Nancy Pelosi and Al Gore. Be very distant from this. Don't get suckered in. My representative Mike Rogers wrote me a note a month ago stating that recreation was going to get pushed into a high tax bracket through these emisions taxes. You will be paying this tax in the future at the pump....but also for your registration fees (the Barbera Boxers view this...recreation as leisure global warming...so they need to pay even more than everyday motorist) Look into it....I think you will see the wording can be very confusing and hard to follow...thats attorney talk for ya. dont want you to know what your signing up for.
Old     (mike_gilbert)      Join Date: Sep 2004       03-25-2008, 3:39 PM Reply   
Scott I agree with you on this one I didnt sign that petition that was on the other thread because it was sponsored by Boxer she is asleft as they come and she is clearly not on our side.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-25-2008, 4:40 PM Reply   
Got the same response
Old     (bill_sloan)      Join Date: Nov 2007       03-25-2008, 5:21 PM Reply   
I got an auto response.