Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 27, 2008

Old     (klp_what)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-21-2008, 11:06 PM Reply   
My hand went through the handle on a wrapped toe 5 on Tuesday. MRI just got back, no tear, no broken bones. This is after the swelling went down, that thing looked awesome when it was swollen, wish I had a pic of that.

But the best news... My season is no longer donezo!!!! Hopefully next week i can rip it.

What did everyone else do when their hands through the handle? Upload
Old     (da_kamp)      Join Date: Jan 2008       03-21-2008, 11:28 PM Reply   
my head went into a handle once, thought i was done for, luckily the driver saw i was obviously going to fall as i popped all wrong and stopped the boat instantly so the rope just went slack.

but that looks GNARLY BRO !
Old     (showmedonttellme)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-22-2008, 1:21 AM Reply   
U R a trooper. Serious Injury my friend. Ride safely A-Pac
Old     (gpalovcak)      Join Date: May 2003       03-22-2008, 4:45 AM Reply   
That happened to me once. I was scared big time. I thought my arm was going to get ripped off. Now when I go down or are heading down I try and throw the handle away.
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-22-2008, 8:00 AM Reply   
That's why I never try wrapped tricks I seem to have the worst luck with everything else so it just makes sense that something bad would happen if I tried it . . . Glad you're ok though
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-22-2008, 8:10 AM Reply   
My friend had that happen but his arm didn't come out, the handle bent around his arm and he was out for like 8 weeks
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       03-22-2008, 8:23 AM Reply   
DAMN! that does NOT look fun....look around for a picture of Benny G's arm before they went to Europe. It looked alot like that, only on steroids his was NASTY! Not taking anything away from that one, quick recovery!
Old     (deltaridah)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-22-2008, 8:48 AM Reply   
my boy got his arm caught last yr on a switch toe 180 he was off balance when getting ready to land and pulled the handle to try to get control. His arm went into the handle it only released when he fell. I was driving a felt a tug scary stuff. he was done for a few months the strength didnt come back for a long while, good luck man!
Old     (curtbernstein)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-22-2008, 10:25 AM Reply   
I put my arm through the handle last summer trying a raley off a kicker behind a jet ski.. It was a bad idea in the first place... No broken bones, I just really messed up all the muscle in my arm. I was riding about 2 weeks later suprisingly. The handle I put my arm through was a byerly handle, and now it has a nice bend right in the middle. I thought about seeing if i could return it, be i figured they they probably wouldnt take it, and its too good to not put it on display in my house. ha

Upload
Old    alanp            03-22-2008, 11:18 AM Reply   
been there, done that. it happened to me on a 360. i thought my arm got ripped off from the elbow down when it happen, the best feeling in the world was when i touched it with my hand and it was still there.
Old     (ccryder)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-22-2008, 11:34 AM Reply   
A friend of mine caught his chin in the handle on a Raley, spent most of the summer with his jaw wired shut drinking milk shakes and lots of reconstructive surgeries on his jaw bone. Getting caught in the handle sucks, good luck with the healing.
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-22-2008, 1:23 PM Reply   
ohhhhhhh...that's a good one!!!!!

Josh...hope you did something REALLY nice for your driver!! Mine saves my butt all the time.

(Message edited by rnopr8 on March 22, 2008)

(Message edited by rnopr8 on March 22, 2008)
Old     (nickdakoolkat)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-22-2008, 1:29 PM Reply   
That sucks, I once got my foot caught in the handle. I was wakeskating and I did a bs 180 and I leaned over too far on my toes on the landing forcing me to fall away from the boat. My feet kicked out towards the boat and my foot got caught in the handle. I had a shoe on and it was lodged in the corner of the handle. I was being dragged down the lake for what seemed like forever. I only had some bruises and a sprained ankle, but immediately after it happened I thought my foot was broke or something.....

(Message edited by nickdakoolkat on March 22, 2008)
Old     (pete_moss)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-22-2008, 2:58 PM Reply   
Realistically how common is this injury? I wish I never would have read this post. It's got me scared that I'm gonna lose an arm or leg....or jaw.
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-22-2008, 3:46 PM Reply   
Here is a pic of mine. I did it wakeskating.
I was out for a couple of weeks.

Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       03-22-2008, 5:24 PM Reply   
Arm through the handle is a bad idea, I reccommend never doing it...
Old     (nvboarder)      Join Date: Nov 2005       03-22-2008, 6:26 PM Reply   
I have never done it personally, but anytime I see someone get tired and put their arm through the handle to rest their hands I slow the boat to a stop. So they don't fall and get hurt they usually get mad, but I don't feel like taking anyone to the hospital, if I can avoid it.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       03-23-2008, 12:29 PM Reply   
you guys don't seem to bruise as bad as me... I did it a few years ago... popped wrong, fell forward and the handle rode my arm from the armpit to my wrist, swollen an average of an inch in circumference compared to my left arm... was riding again in a week, but had to do PT and the bruise was nasty... will have to try to find a pic and scan.
Glad you are OK!
Old     (whitlecj)      Join Date: Apr 2004       03-23-2008, 1:11 PM Reply   
Wow those are wicked looking. Glad you will be riding again soon.
Old     (mckenna)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-24-2008, 3:59 AM Reply   
got my arm ripped through the handle onmy 1st ever attempt at a wrapped trick, typing this with one hand as othr is currently ina sling
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-24-2008, 10:24 AM Reply   
I did it a few years back. Off a dub, just got pulled kinda strange. Bailed out forward meaning to dive into the water. I dove with my arm through the handle. When I was in the water I thought it was worse than it was. I couldn't feel my arm at all and could only feel pain around my shoulder. It caught on my bicep and slid down to my elbow, where it hooked my forearm, then slid down and wacked the back of my wrist. My arm swelled up like a balloon. Unfortunately we were out in the middle of nowhere and it was last set of the day, fortunately my friends had some good pain meds with us. I made it through a couple sleepless nights and was back riding in two weeks (basically one armed for a while). I've got permanent damage to my left bicep. When I flex you can see a flat spot where the muscle tore.

Our buddy Matt got it even worse. Same situation, but it hung up higher on his bicep. He had to do some serious rehab to get his strength back and you can definitely still tell by looking at his arm.

Bad times... I still rank it as my worst wakeboard injury to this day.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       03-24-2008, 10:40 AM Reply   
That sucks! Looks crzay Painful.

Robby Cater did that a few years back, he ended up tearing his Bicep muscle off. I think he even had some surgery on it to repair it.
Old     (owenitall)      Join Date: Jun 2007       03-24-2008, 11:21 AM Reply   
here are a couple of my pics that look similar.
i did not do this by getting my arm caught in the handle.

but has anybody heard of this? i did this by dragging may rear hand for balance, like danny harf does in his 1080 video:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=FYKkYbo2mjo
except my hand dug into the water, and the force of my forward momentum caused my pec to tear (searing pain). this is a pic of a torn pec, but all the bruising was on my arm and ribcage. my pec shredded, and the tendon was destroyed and not useable so now my pec is attached directly to the bone, which is not nearly as strong.

this seems to me like an almost natural motion, and i see so many people do it, but it cost me 1 surgery and rehab. i really had to improve my form to keep from ever having to use my trailing hand for balance. has anyone else ever done this same thing, or am i the only one? Upload
Upload
Old     (curtisco24)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-24-2008, 11:43 AM Reply   
nasty pictures don't have pictures of mine, but tore serveral muscles in left shoulder out for 2 months are was not mobile for 1 month. It took one year to get strength back.
Old     (iamnathanhudson)      Join Date: Dec 2002       03-24-2008, 12:12 PM Reply   
i have seen a bicep tear and go all the way up toward the shoulder. It was nasty.
Old     (norcalbordr)      Join Date: Feb 2006       03-24-2008, 12:22 PM Reply   
I messed up mine pretty bad about 2 months ago. I was out of commission for about 6 weeks but it healed up nicely. Rode for the first time on Saturday and felt no pain. But its a painful recovery, I feel your pain bro.
Upload
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-24-2008, 1:08 PM Reply   
On a lighter note...I just noticed the title to this thread "Handle through arm!!!"

OUCH!!!

I think if that actually happened things would be much worse then what we have been posting about
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-24-2008, 1:17 PM Reply   
I ride with a release so that the observer can release the rope.

http://www.boarditup.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=350&catid=29

I had them made for me and sell them.
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       03-24-2008, 2:14 PM Reply   
This is a more common injury than I ever imagined.

My brother did the same thing. He was not even attempting a trick. He just fell forward and put his arm through the handle. I was in the boat and it actually jerked the boat.

Nasty injury. It was probably 3 or 4 years ago and he still has a knot in his bicep.
Old     (mikea)      Join Date: Mar 2005       03-25-2008, 4:40 PM Reply   
a couple of years ago a freind was barefooting, did a front flip (tumble - whatever) and caught the handle with his calf. The handle folded around his leg and torn the muscle.
He ended up having compartmental syndrom (sp?), almost lost his leg.

I am missing and forgeting alot of details about the incident, but this can be a really bad injury. be careful. don't just assume the swelling will go down.
Old     (mwaken)      Join Date: May 2003       03-25-2008, 6:44 PM Reply   
Here's mine...tore my bicep in half. Got my arm caught in the handle spinning off a kicker. Still have a big indentation in my arm but it works like it did before.

Upload