Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old     (fouroheight68)      Join Date: May 2006       06-10-2016, 3:14 PM Reply   
A few years ago, we bought the "worst house in the best neighrorhood". I love the area, I can walk to the launch ramp at the lake, and have 2100 sq ft on 1/3 acre with a pool. We've been renovating room-by-room, and finally bit the bullet and took it ALL on. The previous owner "renovated" the kitchen with the cheapest cabinets and flooring money could buy. Nothing was done right. Electrical not in J boxes, switches backways, plumbing questionable, etc.

There was a fireplace wall which divided my family and kitchen which I HATED. I designed the whole kitchen, cabinet layout, everything, and started collecting the big ticket items I needed starting this year. My must haves: 36" Viking pro range, double ovens, under counter microwave, huge island, stacked cabinets, and a wine bar. I was able to scour the internet for some pretty incredible deals to allow me to build this kitchen on my budget - Viking Range $150 (came out of a multi million dollar home in Napa, hardly used normally $3,000), Bosch double ovens $2k brand new (list $3400, guy bought online, wife wanted a single with microwave and couldn't return), wine fridge - "scratch and dent" (not visable) $200, retail $850, Franke farmhouse sink, $200 brand new, MSRP $1200, etc.

Rundown of work:
Demo fireplace, dividing walls, and soffits
relocate range and refrigerator, chip slab for power to island
All new floors in house
New Doors/frames/hardware
Office remodel - build closet, LED lights
New LED recessed lighting througout
Exterior dryrot repair and paint
Interior paint and baseboards throughout

I took 5 work days off before memorial day weekend, which gave me 10 straight days to get a good chunk of work done. I am doing or managing all the work myself. I am lucky to have a good friend/superintendent who has a flexible schedule and can run the work while Im at my job. I'm also lucky to have lots of jobsite connections who do "side work" (painters, cabinet installers, tapers, you name it). We have a 11 month baby, and are living in the house. My wife and I both work as commercial construction project managers, so we know what to expect and how to schedule a job. I built a zip wall at the hallway to keep all dust clear, and built a temp kitchen in the garage for meal prep. We started this 3 weeks ago, and appliances and plumbing trim go in tomorrow. Its been a pretty incredible timeline.

This was "before" The fireplace wall was non bearing and took a huge chunk of space. Hated it.
l9dbd7d44-m10xd-w400_h300_q80
IMG_1072

IMG_1071

IMG_1070

IMG_3038