Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through December 22, 2005

Old    spark_plug            12-18-2005, 11:26 AM Reply   
is it better to set you bindings tight so they dont come off or just keep them snug.
next question has anyone found a good knee brace to board in! i cant afford the down time of a knee surgery but love to go big!!
Old    walt            12-18-2005, 11:56 AM Reply   
I prefer tight myself but if you took a poll I'd bet the results would be about 50/50.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       12-18-2005, 12:48 PM Reply   
Not my quote, but my belief: "you're better off in than out"
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       12-18-2005, 3:38 PM Reply   
most injuries resulting in stitches are the result of one foot ejects, id rather my board never came off personally.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       12-18-2005, 5:23 PM Reply   
Or the other scenerio, one foot comes out and twists your knee/ankle...I would rather stay in.
Old    low_key_wake            12-18-2005, 5:49 PM Reply   
I hate when it slips out...Oh wait, yeah bindings, That sucks too.
Old     (ashly)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-18-2005, 6:50 PM Reply   
hhaha nice post loki.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       12-18-2005, 11:22 PM Reply   
I like them snug but would rather have them come out on a big spill
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       12-20-2005, 1:12 AM Reply   
I hear what everyone is saying about one in and one out, and I agree that it is best if the board stays on, but....

Last year I had a brand new pair of Transits, and threw them on my board, and laced them down pretty snug. On a W2W, I caught the front edge and took a really hard faceplant. Stayed in the bindings, and got yanked hard enough to tear my abdominal muscle. NOT something I care to do ever again. Luckily for all of you, I am at work so I don't have access to pics of it. I have posted them here before, and was asked not to anymore. Painful to look at!!
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       12-20-2005, 1:38 AM Reply   
Lol I remember seeing that pic Buzz. Yeah, on occasion there will be some spills you hope your feet come out
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       12-20-2005, 2:59 AM Reply   
Buzz I did the same thing about a month ago but I came out of my bindings. They weren't the Transits, they were the Sphynx. Hurt like h*ll. Thought someone shot me. Not sure if there is a right answer, in or out it all depends.
Old     (santa)      Join Date: Jun 2004       12-20-2005, 8:07 AM Reply   
Buzz,

Same happened to me, but bindings did come off. I've got Temets (with Boa) and I do crank them really tight. They'll come off only on a really wicked fall. However, I think that my torn Ab muscle wasn't so much due to the bindings, but rather to my lack of stretching before my set.

I haven't seen your previous post, but I,ll bet this happened at the beginning of your set. That's what happened in my case and on a very basic W2W.

Moral: ever since then, I give myself a good stretch before every set. In particular, as the boat is driving towards the riding spot, I like to just hang from the tower for about 30-60 seconds and really feel those abs stretching. Ever since, I have had even worse faceplants, but not once have I been injured (knock on wood).

Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       12-21-2005, 2:03 AM Reply   
Randy and Santa,

Man! I feel for you guys. I am sure yours hurt as bad as mine. I think the worst was the day after I injured it, I sneezed! Ahhh! I thought I split myself in half! I was on the floor, on my knees.

Yes, it was my first run of the day, actually my first W2W of the day also. Remember it well! I have to agree that stretching (or lack of) probably played a big part. I now make sure I stretch real good. I swore that day that I got hurt, that as soon as I could, I would turn into the "sit-up king" and work on my abs so this would not happen again. Well, I should follow up and actually do that, but in the meantime, I stretch.

You know, I think it has been about a year since I threw up a pic, so I don't feel so bad doing it again. Warning - if you are faint of heart, turn away now and don't look! At least this is not one of the worse pics that I have. This one is pretty tame. Wonder if yours looks anything like this (hopefully minus all the fur!)

Hope you heal up soon. I stayed off the water for 3 months, then eased back in slowly.

Best of luck.
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       12-21-2005, 3:08 AM Reply   
Buzz. Dude that looks extremely painful. Yours was definitely worse than mine. I work at a hospital so I asked some doctors what could be done. They said if it got black and blue like yours or I had a fever something would need to be done. Neither one happened. Maybe I just had a bad pull. I'm no sit up king but I do 200 every morning and stretch religiously. Maybe that minimized the damage to mine. Like you and Santa, also the first set of the day.

(Message edited by dudeman on December 21, 2005)
Old     (shutupandboard)      Join Date: Aug 2002       12-21-2005, 4:38 AM Reply   
NO NO NO NO NO. Not the hairy ripped up belly again!
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       12-21-2005, 5:25 AM Reply   
I'm sure this is not an often occurence, but I beg to differ on better in than out:

Not for the light of heart

Old     (steve_lee)      Join Date: Nov 2005       12-21-2005, 1:53 PM Reply   
did you hit something in the water or what! please tell me youm hit something or you dont drink milk!!
Old    aceofspades            12-21-2005, 2:18 PM Reply   
good god that looks like it hurt
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       12-21-2005, 3:00 PM Reply   
Oh it wasn't me, I just found these pictures earlier this summer. Some poor soul, isn't exactly a commercial for Hyperlite or Byerly, lol
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       12-21-2005, 7:10 PM Reply   
Well Cody, it really doesn't matter what brand or model binding, and who's to say this isn't a result of "one foot in, one foot out"? Do you know the details, or just happen to stumble across the pic.
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       12-21-2005, 10:22 PM Reply   
Just happen to stumble across the pic.
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       12-21-2005, 10:39 PM Reply   
I remember a previous post about someone having an open fracture from having one in/out. Man! Makes my belly look like a cat scratch!