Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-02-2016, 9:08 AM Reply   
So I know pretty much where more of the popular boat mfg margins are on "good deal " and "great deal" pricing .

A Sanger dealer is back in the area stocking inventory and now making a push to start moving boats at little higher volume wanting to start keeping some floor stock. Buddy is basically blocks from dealership so that's is huge selling point. Couple that with the wakes, quality, ride and price point the 215 is a home run for him.
What should he expect to be getting off on MSRP. Sanger has no other dealers in 1000's of
Miles as they're really not in the midwest market and fact they don't move a ton of volume may affect that , but are we looking 20% like the big boys, or more along the 10-12 percent range like Moombas's Axis'.

Last edited by xstarrider; 05-02-2016 at 9:13 AM.
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       05-02-2016, 10:10 AM Reply   
I was able to get at least 15% off any of my Axis that I've bought and got just over 20% on my Moomba before the Axis. My Axis (A22 and A24) were both ordered boats but the Moomba was in stock
Old     (saberworks)      Join Date: Sep 2010       05-02-2016, 10:45 AM Reply   
I wasn't even able to access the MSRP for the Sanger 215, it's not listed on their web site or in any of the ads by the various dealers I contacted. I contacted dealers in WA, OR, and ID and none of those would come down on their listed prices at all (which were 57,950 for the one in WA I think, within 1000 for OR and ID). They all had about the same options; one may have had a spare tire on the trailer, one may have had a cover, I can't remember. I talked to a dealer in CA as well and they had a little better pricing but with shipping up to WA it would have been more expensive. I ended up buying a new axis a20 for cheaper and outfitted with a ton more options (3k ballast, wedge, surf gate, heater, cover, upgraded trailer with disc brakes on both axles, dual batteries, blah blah). There is a tradeoff, though, I think Sanger puts together a nicer boat. All the seatback and underseat storage compartments are hinged with stainless hinges, there isn't any cheapo plastic, dash is classic round gauges with aluminum backing which looks super nice, upholstery is high quality, etc. I bought the axis based on price first, features second and didn't worry too much about the drawbacks.

I think pricing transparency on the part of all the dealers I spoke with would have made the whole process much more comfortable. This is the first new boat I have bought and I still don't know whether I got a "good" deal or whether I got taken. Blah.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-03-2016, 7:31 AM Reply   
Thanks for the info guys.

Those are some pretty good numbers on the Axis and Moomba's. I can say here in Midwest 15% is about where they are at high end..... very few customers are coming out with either of those brands any more discounted than that. Market is little different as are dealer options. Obviously you being a repeat customer may have some things to do with that as well.
Old     (wotan)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-03-2016, 9:17 AM Reply   
How do you guys feel the dealers price 1-2 year old trade-ins? Is there the same 15-20% of wiggle room?

I'm personally astounded that dealers are going 20-25% off MSRP for new boats. It makes the numbers that I was seeing at dealerships this weekend MUCH easier to swallow, though.
Old     (granddaddy53)      Join Date: Dec 2013       05-03-2016, 9:57 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by saberworks View Post
I wasn't even able to access the MSRP for the Sanger 215, it's not listed on their web site or in any of the ads by the various dealers I contacted. I contacted dealers in WA, OR, and ID and none of those would come down on their listed prices at all (which were 57,950 for the one in WA I think, within 1000 for OR and ID). They all had about the same options; one may have had a spare tire on the trailer, one may have had a cover, I can't remember. I talked to a dealer in CA as well and they had a little better pricing but with shipping up to WA it would have been more expensive. I ended up buying a new axis a20 for cheaper and outfitted with a ton more options (3k ballast, wedge, surf gate, heater, cover, upgraded trailer with disc brakes on both axles, dual batteries, blah blah). There is a tradeoff, though, I think Sanger puts together a nicer boat. All the seatback and underseat storage compartments are hinged with stainless hinges, there isn't any cheapo plastic, dash is classic round gauges with aluminum backing which looks super nice, upholstery is high quality, etc. I bought the axis based on price first, features second and didn't worry too much about the drawbacks.

I think pricing transparency on the part of all the dealers I spoke with would have made the whole process much more comfortable. This is the first new boat I have bought and I still don't know whether I got a "good" deal or whether I got taken. Blah.
Interested in your actual CDP on your Axis, mine a2014 with stock ballast as you described, I upgraded sacs myself, plus Bimini, ski pylon, , pop up cleats(can you believe that, made them eat this feature at their cost to their side of ledger), upgraded 1235 acme and my price before tax was $54500. If you don't want to tell me yours, just trying to figure how I did?
Old     (saberworks)      Join Date: Sep 2010       05-03-2016, 11:15 AM Reply   
56700 before tax/title. Dealer claimed MSRP was 72500. That seems inflated by at least a few thousand dollars though. I compared the build sheet to the actual options in the boat (for example things like stainless steel cup holders and the upgraded ballast weren't listed on the build sheet; maybe the dealer added that stuff). I compared the build sheet with "see dealer cost" web site (http://www.seedealercost.com/product...gorySlug/boats) (which doesn't actually list all the options either, and some of them are wrong, like they list 3 pair of popup cleats but my boat came with 2 pair) and came up with 69196 MSRP before freight/prep. I think that leaves me with a little north of 21% off MSRP.
Old     (granddaddy53)      Join Date: Dec 2013       05-03-2016, 11:39 AM Reply   
Quote:
56700 before tax/title. Dealer claimed MSRP was 72500. That seems inflated by at least a few thousand dollars though. I compared the build sheet to the actual options in the boat (for example things like stainless steel cup holders and the upgraded ballast weren't listed on the build sheet; maybe the dealer added that stuff). I compared the build sheet with "see dealer cost" web site (http://www.seedealercost.com/product...gorySlug/boats) (which doesn't actually list all the options either, and some of them are wrong, like they list 3 pair of popup cleats but my boat came with 2 pair) and came up with 69196 MSRP before freight/prep. I think that leaves me with a little north of 21% off MSRP.
Do you have the Bimini,?, and pylon, cause other than that deals are equal, cause what your dealer did was he ordered plug and play that I forgot to mention in my deal and added the 3(rear lockers and mushroom?) sacs to the PNP, plus he ordered both the 2pair option and cup holders, I bought 750 sumos and a 950 mushroom, so 800 stock , you said 3000 total, you must have 750's and the 950 cause you get less than the listed sac total so 800 plus 2200 in sacs if your burp your bags extensively , if not less, plus I keep full fuel, so with fuel and burping I say 3500 plus wedge=4500, no wonder we skipped the fit and finish for these actually factory deals. Was supposed to be 55500 but 1000 factory incentive (so called) to order by December 2013 for 2014, love my surf wave, learned my goofy real quick, if you haven't do so its so peaky and like butter. I don't believe in msrp, I think we both got bottom deals that are available in any state where this style of boating is not so dominant. In states where it is more I bet we killed it. But that just means people are willing to overpay
Old     (granddaddy53)      Join Date: Dec 2013       05-03-2016, 11:44 AM Reply   
I was more concerned with getting the best possible deal, I felt like I was getting my money's worth at that price, you should have seen the list I sent them in the mail with my $10000 cashiers check deposit, they laughed and said no thank you, I said send me my check, and in 2 hours this was our deal. I didn't check any websites or anything on pricing just asked for way more than I thought I could get with serious cash intentions and my request for the check back I figured would bring it to the right resting place
Old     (granddaddy53)      Join Date: Dec 2013       05-03-2016, 11:51 AM Reply   
Oh, and I never negotiated in person , only mail and phone cause tests were irrelevant, this was the only one I could write a check for and not finance and I knew that based on prices I heard on this site for the better boats
Old     (granddaddy53)      Join Date: Dec 2013       05-03-2016, 11:58 AM Reply   
Biggest regret had to buy from my local dealer as per the other Malibu dealers themselves. I am done with them for service, me and my boat can't take their abuse of my new property any more so this means unless I go used or another brand, me and Malibu are done. Not really cause I'll keep this one till I die cause of the good deal and will have to assist somebody/service place get parts from Axis hopefully after my story they will
Old     (saberworks)      Join Date: Sep 2010       05-03-2016, 12:01 PM Reply   
Yeah mine has a bunch of options. 3k ballast, wedge, surf gate, heater, stainless cup holders, interior red led lighting, snap out carpet, bimini, tower mirror, cooler, seat bolster, dual batteries with switch, pop up cleats, pylon, 2 spinner board racks (one each side), allow rims on trailer + matching spare. I was going to buy a used boat but it was such a PITA and nobody wanted to allow a demo (even when I offered to pay to re-winterize!!). I only looked at Sanger and Axis because they were the cheapest. I was in the same position as you re: budget. We actually stretched it even to buy this one.
Old     (granddaddy53)      Join Date: Dec 2013       05-03-2016, 12:12 PM Reply   
I also wonder about the salt water package that I think from package guide included a tandom painted galvanized trailer. If that was a 10000 or less option, I should have gotten it because they charged me 5000 for trailer snd 49500 for boat, means salt would have been 5000 net? and well worth it. You don't know what dealer price for that was? Called axis and they specifically said an unqualified "don't" when I asked about salt water usage, I have transom flush , but they said don't. Used to love taking my boat to Florida or Alabama for vacation, guess I will till its 15 years old and do it then!
Old     (granddaddy53)      Join Date: Dec 2013       05-03-2016, 12:13 PM Reply   
We do use ours in diluted brack water during summer and fall, more diluted in winter
Old     (saberworks)      Join Date: Sep 2010       05-03-2016, 12:15 PM Reply   
I don't know anything about the salt water package, sorry. My trailer is painted and already rusting after 3 launches > only in fresh water.
Old     (granddaddy53)      Join Date: Dec 2013       05-04-2016, 6:56 AM Reply   
You have a painted galvanized trailer?, my galvanized shows 0 rust and we are never in purely fresh water
Old     (granddaddy53)      Join Date: Dec 2013       05-04-2016, 6:59 AM Reply   
If your in fresh that rust should be no long term problem, go to the salt with that rust and eventually trailer will break, so you must have a 2016?(3 launches) or is it on a strap launch?, if 2016 gonna need some lead up front for great surf wave along with the bag
Old     (granddaddy53)      Join Date: Dec 2013       05-04-2016, 7:09 AM Reply   
Quote:
Yeah mine has a bunch of options. 3k ballast, wedge, surf gate, heater, stainless cup holders, interior red led lighting, snap out carpet, bimini, tower mirror, cooler, seat bolster, dual batteries with switch, pop up cleats, pylon, 2 spinner board racks (one each side), allow rims on trailer + matching spare. I was going to buy a used boat but it was such a PITA and nobody wanted to allow a demo (even when I offered to pay to re-winterize!!). I only looked at Sanger and Axis because they were the cheapest. I was in the same position as you re: budget. We actually stretched it even to buy this one.
I have carpet and bought 4 non swivel Titan racks with one surf fork on one(gave me both surf,board combo forks and surf only) and tower mirror separately at great discount and I have a heater.
You got a great deal those spinners are expensive plus the seat and lighting. Is that rust the silver gray corrosion you see on holes and tips of fenders?, if so that is not a problem , it is corrosion but it is not trailer rust to the metal underlay. If that's a 2016 or 2015 you really killed it , if 2014 you killed it. Great job!
Old     (granddaddy53)      Join Date: Dec 2013       05-04-2016, 7:10 AM Reply   
The heater was cheap, you don't have that? No matter still killed it
Old     (granddaddy53)      Join Date: Dec 2013       05-04-2016, 7:12 AM Reply   
If it's the silver stuff, that's your underneath galvanized, if painted metal only its rust
Old     (granddaddy53)      Join Date: Dec 2013       05-04-2016, 7:26 AM Reply   
Do you have the chillax seat, got that two, I forget this stuff. If 2016 I know you don't,
Old     (granddaddy53)      Join Date: Dec 2013       05-04-2016, 7:28 AM Reply   
Sorry missed fact you have the heater, can't read!
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       05-04-2016, 9:30 AM Reply   
You sure stroked that check breh....
Old     (dp513)      Join Date: Jul 2011       05-04-2016, 3:24 PM Reply   
Quote:

Damn i paid 57 for a brand new leftover 15 t22 without tricked out trailer and wheels and depth finder. thought i got a deal now i think i got took

Last edited by dp513; 05-04-2016 at 3:25 PM. Reason: changed something
Old     (dp513)      Join Date: Jul 2011       05-04-2016, 3:25 PM Reply   
a leftover 15 too. not a 16
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       05-04-2016, 6:07 PM Reply   
They were like "GOT HEEM!!"
Old     (saberworks)      Join Date: Sep 2010       05-06-2016, 9:20 AM Reply   
Doesn't seem bad to me, the t22 is 2 feet longer and seats more people. Up or down a thousand or two for different configurations seems reasonable to me.
Old     (dp513)      Join Date: Jul 2011       05-06-2016, 9:49 AM Reply   
Quote:
Doesn't seem bad to me, the t22 is 2 feet longer and seats more people. Up or down a thousand or two for different configurations seems reasonable to me.
oh wow maybe i should read more. i didnt realize you said a20! But regardless i was looking at a 16 a22 before i decided to go the cheaper route and they had me at 68k plus tax and license.
Old     (saberworks)      Join Date: Sep 2010       05-06-2016, 10:21 AM Reply   
I asked about the A22 before I bought my A20 and he said I'd be in for almost another $10k if I went with an A22. Sounds to me like you got a good deal. I know someone that bought a leftover 2015 A22 for I think like ~63 or ~64. My wife doesn't like the pickle-fork but we didn't look at the T22 because I didn't want to spend more. The kids really like the wide bow though.