Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old     (infinitysurf)      Join Date: Apr 2017       03-04-2018, 2:57 PM Reply   
Pictures below....So I did my afternoon project, been wanting to add a step like some of the brand new boats have since the seams are already splitting from people having to step on back seat to get up to transom ....
Obviously the NEW vinyl skin is not installed yet, but wanted to put it together so I could see what it would look like, etc. I will remove the top piece of HDPE and then they will remove old vinyl and install the new skin with foam backing OVER the HDPE blocks I installed in the cutout in the cushion foam. New skins should all be installed in next 2-3 weeks

So 1st I cut out the cushion foam the same size as my 2 blocks of HDPE which are 12" wide X 10" deep X 1 1/2" thick (so total of 3" when put together)....then I drilled holes and secured them, countersinking the screws and doing it from both sides so it would be secure (I used a router to put a round edge on the top piece so when vinyl presses down there is no sharp edge to catch on), then from under the seat, I drilled and installed 6 screws into the doubled up blocks to hold it securely into place so they can install the new skin in place and it will not move.

Then I drilled holes (this HDPE is PITA to drill cause you can only do 1/4" at a time since the hard plastic does not come out like wood shavings, but well worth the time). I used heavy duty deck screws guaranteed to not corrode or rust and they are painted to also help protect them. Then I installed the black top of HDPE piece that is slightly textured and will act as the step (3/8" thick X 14" wide X 12" deep so it overhangs the bottom pieces about 1" on all 4 sides, I used a router the top (1/4" bit) and bottom edges (1/8" bit) along outsides since it will press down on the vinyl and I don't want tears and it makes it look better since its exposed, obviously I do not have my GatorStep yet to install over it and I am going to look into possibly having a piece of aluminum made instead of using this black HDPE since some have mentioned that GatorStep may not stick well to it, not sure about that yet? But this way I have a template for the screw holes no matter what I use, since vinyl will be fully sandwiched on the end product, there will be no cutouts on the new vinyl skin cause I am afraid that could cause wrinkles, the only place there will be any holes in the vinyl is where the 4 screws go into lower pieces and I will make holes slightly larger than screws so if pressure from sandwiching the vinyl is not enough, the screws wont start ripping the vinyl and causing me issues down road. Cost me $134 in materials for the 3) pieces of HDPE from Interstate Plastics ($100 for materials and $34 for shipping), I ordered them the exact size I wanted and they were here within 4 days, so pretty sweet. All in all, took me about 4hrs this afternoon to complete and I know for sure this will make the vinyl last longer and should also look pretty good once I get the GatorStep piece installed.
Attached Images