Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old     (melton1wake)      Join Date: Oct 2011       09-15-2014, 7:07 PM Reply   
I had the pleasure of getting out and surfing on a Mastercraft X20 yesterday and thought I would share a little. First, I would like to thank American Boat Center in Knoxville, TN for taking a few of us out during their customer appreciation day on Ft. Loudon lake. These guys are wonderful and do a great job of promoting watersports and the wake culture in Knoxville. I'm not trying to advertise for them but they did take me out on a new X20 yesterday so I'm going to give them a public thank you.

Now to the review. The inside of the boat was typical Mastercraft and if you have been in a recent X10, X30 or X46 this boat falls right inline with the things you have grown to expect from a Mastercraft. I happen to like the Mastercraft style so I was very happy with the features of the boat. Not a whole lot of noticeable changes until you start digging around inside. The boat is much deeper than the other boats in the X series and there is an incredible amount of space in the cabin and storage for a twenty foot boat. Most of this stuff you can check out in a showroom so I'm not going to spend much time talking about the inside.

The boat handled great and with the depth of the hull had a very smooth, comfortable ride.

We surfed two of the boat's settings, mellow and steep. I am not sure if the boat had more programmed settings but you could adjust things to get the wave just how you like it. The wave was long, tall and very powerful. This is the largest and longest wave I have ever ridden behind a boat. We had the stock ballest full at 2000lbs without any additional ballast. There were three adults in the boat at around 450lbs and 1/4 tank of fuel. One thing I noticed is how quickly the ballest filled. I didn't time it but it was much faster than I'm used to. The boat itself has a dry weight of 4800lbs so all together the whole setup was around 8000lbs with gear, fuel, ballast and people. The wave made surfing very easy and recoveries were a piece of cake. We could get well back past the length of the surf rope and still surf effortlessly. We only surfed the port side but the starboard side looked great as well. We also did not switch back and forth between the two sides so I do not know how smoothly that aspect of the gen 2 system works. To sum it up I would say that it was just a spectacular wave and the best I have ever surfed.

The only real drawback I saw yesterday was that with boats of that size you just need upgraded power plants. That boat had the 5.7 and I think the 6.0 or the 6.2 would make it perfect.

Hope you guys like the info and just so you know I am not a MC fan boy. I will gladly go out on any boat that wants to give me water time. I love wake boats and I have good and bad things to say about every manufacturer. Also, Dave, the fellow surfer in the pictures is around 5'10", 5'11".

To illustrate: my current top wakesurf boats that I have personally ridden are:
1. 2015 Mastercraft X20 with gen2
2. 2014 Malibu MXZ 24ft with surfgate
3. 2014 Axis T22 with surfgate
and tied for 4. 2014 CC G23 with NSS, 2014 MB B52 23 Wide Body Listed, 2014 MC X30 with gen2
Attached Images