Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old                03-16-2003, 1:53 AM Reply   
can u please tell me the steps to do a HS Backroll
thanks
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       03-16-2003, 2:46 AM Reply   
http://www.wakeworld.com/Tricklist/TrickTip004.asp

Read this and check out the video.
Old     (wakeeater)      Join Date: May 2002       03-19-2003, 9:24 PM Reply   
the steps sound complicated put then the vid shows its not
Old                04-16-2003, 11:36 AM Reply   
I'm having a hard time clearing the second wake, i keep casing it. I still haven't rode it out... i got the rotation down, now it's just time to stick it outside the wake so i can ride away. Any suggestions?
Old     (iewc_vp)      Join Date: Aug 2001       04-16-2003, 11:46 AM Reply   
If you have no problems going w2w normally then you probably are just throwing it a little to early, wait until you really pop off the wake to throw it. Either that or just cut like you are going for a Raley and throw it.
Old                04-16-2003, 12:00 PM Reply   
Is it really likely that I could throw a raley but not a backroll? haha... just playin, but yea, I normally don't have a problem going w2w. I haven't gotten video of a good attempt yet, but I'll definitely know more when I can see that. But thanks for the advice in the meantime. Bad thing is, I'm not gonna get to try again until my pull gets back from San Diego. He'll be there all next week, and the weather's supposed to be crappy this weekend. :-(
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-18-2003, 12:32 PM Reply   
i think what tim meant was take a bigger cut with more edge. it's not that you could do a raley - but you could cut like you're going to. ;)

but i'd have to respectfully disagree with that approach. if you don't have the basics down for this trick, cutting harder will just make you crash harder.

you can do this trick will almost no cut at all - it's a simple load and release trick that you pop up. if you're casing the second wake i would shorten the line a bit - make the crossing a little easier.

tim is probably right in that you're throwing it too soon. this is a very relaxed trick. if you load up right you shouldn't have to do much - if you're not getting across to the second wake that'll make you think you have to go bigger with it - and that'll hurt your learning the proper form for the trick.

i would shorten up the line to the point where you feel you can easily cross the wakes, then try your trick with a simple cut - say 10ft out or so. if you can, keep a little more weight on your back foot and just feel the tension build on a progressive cut. make sure you edge ALL the way up the wake - don't throw the trick. if you ride all the way up the wake this trick will practically complete itself.

once you feel the board starting to come off the top of the wake and your shoulders start to rock sidewayz with your back shoulder dipping down (which will automatically happen if you edge all the way up the wake with some weight on your back foot - like riding a skate/snowboard up a half-pipe), then look over your leading shoulder. this will start your rotation.

if you've done everything right up to this point - the trick will finish itself. and if you're at a closer point on the wake (by shortening the rope), you won't case the second wake.

let us know how it goes!

(Message edited by deepstructure on April 18, 2003)
Old                04-24-2003, 8:01 PM Reply   
What if you have a very small wake like ankle size. Will the same aproach still work?

Scott
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-24-2003, 8:26 PM Reply   
you can do this trick in the flats if you know what you're doing (i can't). you just dig in and go - although supposedly an air roll to revert is easier.

an ankle size wake i think would be very difficult to do this trick off of. but i've done it off a small wake. you just really have make sure you stand tall and get all the pop you can.
Old                04-25-2003, 5:03 PM Reply   
Aight thanx, I was wondering cuz I've never tried one before and was wondering if it is even possible. I board behind a flat(f.y.i. I'm not a redneck)so the wake is pretty small. Actually its over ankle sized but it isnt peaky it just sorta slopes up gradually. I've tried some grabs and can land a few about 4ft off the water. Is this enough height?

Scott