Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Pnut80)      Join Date: May 2017       07-16-2017, 6:28 PM Reply   
To say I am proud is a understatement! This boy just started wake boarding over a month ago. He has taught himself everything just by watching YouTube videos. Cause I am clueless on this. But today he finally got a little air
Old     (Lwaynebowen)      Join Date: Feb 2017       07-16-2017, 7:18 PM Reply   
Need more boat speed and ballast to clean up wake. But he's doing very well congrats
Old     (Connolly_Crew)      Join Date: Mar 2016       07-17-2017, 12:44 PM Reply   
Looking good.
Old     (Pnut80)      Join Date: May 2017       07-18-2017, 4:43 PM Reply   
I have just a basic inboard outboard boat. So I would have to see how to get ballast. And I was running around 12 to 15. Do I need to be quicker
Old     (Droopington)      Join Date: Jul 2015       07-18-2017, 6:19 PM Reply   
Hi Mark that's a great speed, maybe a tad faster. It should be obvious once his riding is improving pick up speed to say 16 and then 18. When he is at around 18 mph he can start practicing a progressive edge and maybe try to do wake jumps where he lands in the middle of the wakes. He is doing well!
Old     (pcuezze)      Join Date: Aug 2014       07-19-2017, 11:56 AM Reply   
Congrats to your son! Definitely ramp the speed up as he develops better edge control only because it will clean the wake up which makes jumps a LOT easier. No ones mentioned it, but beginners almost always start with heel side jumps because they are easier and safer. But if he's more comfortable with these toe side jumps, he's that much further ahead of the game!

One more note, while he's out there on the port side it's a good time to practice ollies (and eventually 180's) in the flats. Edge real hard on his heels, flatten the board out for a second and then pop (push down on his back foot hard and lift his front foot, then follow with the back). He's definitely ready for that! Glad he's having fun!
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       07-19-2017, 9:48 PM Reply   
You def don't need ballast yet. You can add weight to an I/O, I rode behind a 17.5' with a 4.3L for many years and was able to land backrolls and 3's.

Try and have your son push his hips forward, he'll have more edge control, stability, and push off the wake.

The biggest thing any of us can say is to keep having fun! As long as he's enjoying it and is comfortable with the speed then it's good enough for now. As he gets more comfortable you can start to pick up the speed. I have lots of beginners riding in contests between 15-20 mph.

Keep up the great work!
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-20-2017, 6:37 AM Reply   
He did real good

But one more tip drive in a straight line this is very important. You can see in the video that you are making small turns. Pick a point in front of and drive straight towards it for as long as you can. Then make a sharp turn and drive straight again.

Watch this learn it and live by it LOL.

http://www.wakeworld.com/news/featur...powerturn.html

Have fun with your little man, I can't wait until mine is old enough to ride.