Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Willie_b)      Join Date: Jul 2016       07-20-2016, 9:59 AM Reply   
I have been looking at boats for a while and want one that is good for both wake and surf, kind of leaning toward the Supra but also taking resale into consideration. For the Mastercraft I have found 2012-2015 anywhere from $68-85k and for Supra a SC350 or 450 2014 for $77-80k. Any help or feedback from current users of these boats would be appreciated!
Thanks
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-20-2016, 2:14 PM Reply   
I can't speak for the Mastercraft X25 but assuming it is a very sweet boat. I have had two Supra SC's and they have been awesome. Loved them. THey are a 21' boat that feels like 23' when you are sitting in it. Tons of ballast and technology with the SWELL surf system and the VISION dash. Super easy to set up for surf and wake. As far as resale I have sold them both in the middle of winter with no issue.
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       07-20-2016, 5:33 PM Reply   
Can't go wrong with either. However I have spent some time in the SC and new SA and both are very nice.
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       07-20-2016, 9:58 PM Reply   
On my first SC450 and it's AMAZING! with the 21.8' it feels so damn big and even decent space in the bow. We hardly use the bow except for gear and stuff so it's perfect. On long cruises I see only 2 full grown adults up there and zero problems. Ballast is out of this world so really no need to think to upgrade but hope it was ordered with the right prop to push wakeboarding wakes, surfing no problem with the speeds. Last trip out I put 6 hours on the boat and white caps, handles chop like a champ but no riding. Stereo is amazing with the JL upgrade and the launch system is to die for. Your resale question is tough, are you planning to flip a boat or sale it 2 to 3 years? The way new boat pricing is going you're favored with the used market going with Supra.
I will be selling mine this season and being a 2016 I don't see a problem with it going to a loving family.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       07-21-2016, 4:44 AM Reply   
I've spent like 700 hours in x25s . Unless you drive in big water all the time I would go for the SC.
Old     (Chrisz)      Join Date: Jun 2012       07-21-2016, 7:24 AM Reply   
Be careful with the 2012 X-25. The boat, hull and finish are awesome and contrary to a lot of what I have read it puts out a very nice surf wake. However I am on my second software upgrade. It's not the end of the world but things like the ballast tanks thinking they are empty and they are full, boat stuck in cruise unless you power everything down ect.,. All can be overcome but not problems you want to deal with in a boat you paid $85k for.

The real problem with the boat is the cruise control doesn't hold steady so I use the manual throttle for both wakeboarding and surfing. This is still true after I went to zero off upgrade. But the boat is the most comfortable I have ever been in and I have had zero problems with the engine.
Old     (Willie_b)      Join Date: Jul 2016       07-21-2016, 4:10 PM Reply   
Thank you for the feedback, all great info and things I need to know! I am leaning towards the Supra at this point... We also have a good dealer up here and I know that is important.
Old     (dbdb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-22-2016, 9:17 AM Reply   
I have a 2010 X25 and I really love it.. It has a pretty decent wakeboard wake and we don't surf enough for me to really give a review of the surf wake. I believe it could be pretty decent though. It rides amazing. I have had very minimal issues with it. I am actually thinking about selling it and moving into a brand new boat. My only hesitation is how much I like that boat. Its the first boat that I have owned that I haven't looked forward to upgrading, and that says quite a bit. As I owned my first two boats (A Centurion and an X15) I'd spend 5-10 hours a weeks looking (and dreaming) at new boats. Since I bought the X25, I haven't had the itch at all. It is actually my wife that is suggesting a new boat...
Old     (dbdb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-22-2016, 9:20 AM Reply   
Here is mine
Attached Images

Old     (dbdb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-22-2016, 9:24 AM Reply   
If you are near Chicago and want to spend a little time on an X25, let me know. I'd be happy to take you out for a day.
Old     (Willie_b)      Join Date: Jul 2016       07-22-2016, 11:57 AM Reply   
That is a really clean X25, glad to hear it has been a great boat for you! Sadly I live in the Seattle area or I would love to check the boat out, really appreciate the invite.
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       07-23-2016, 8:10 PM Reply   
X25 surf wave is hard to dial in to get clean..
Old     (Ttime41)      Join Date: Nov 2011       07-24-2016, 9:39 AM Reply   
If you want a boat that surfs and wakeboards, and handles really well, grab the SC and don't look back. I've only ever wakeboarded behind the 25, but the wake is a little dated feeling. Small and extremely steep.

Last edited by Ttime41; 07-24-2016 at 9:42 AM.
Old     (dbdb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-26-2016, 7:12 AM Reply   
Man...if the SC is going to make my wake look small, maybe the wife is right...I might need a new boat....
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       07-26-2016, 7:42 AM Reply   
This is out of the box Starboard side which a lot of times was really hard to get clean in other boats. The wave gets even better when it's really dialed in and mine will get the treatment shortly by our local pro surfer.
Old     (dbdb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-26-2016, 8:30 AM Reply   
Do you have a pic of the wakeboard wake? We almost never wakesurf.
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       07-27-2016, 10:44 AM Reply   
Quote:
Do you have a pic of the wakeboard wake? We almost never wakesurf.
I haven't got any good water to load up and run wake speeds. Hope to get some shortly.
Old     (MCObray)      Join Date: Mar 2013       07-27-2016, 11:39 AM Reply   
NW Inboards and the Bakes Marine crew are a great bunch of people, if you are indeed in the Seattle area.
Old     (wiscxstar)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-27-2016, 7:25 PM Reply   
I have a 2014 SC450, and I mainly wakeboard. The wake is very nice, but you need to make sure you have the wake plate up all the way. If you have it down the wake sucks in my opinion. Also, I generally ride with my wife and 3 little kids, so that is about 200 pounds of weight. I have been adding a 750# sac in the boat and the wake is just super sweet. The only boat that I would take over the Supra SC would be the G23, but that is not in my price point.
Old     (Willie_b)      Join Date: Jul 2016       07-28-2016, 4:37 AM Reply   
Bakes is a great dealership, I have herd only good things. Supra does seem like the way to go if you are not ready to blow G money...
Old     (Gotmods)      Join Date: Nov 2012       07-28-2016, 5:39 AM Reply   
Sadly the X25 isn't a great surf boat. I agree with everything said. It is the same hull as the CSX 220, a center drive mid engine boat targeted for light offshore use, going clear back to 2008. So the market has caught and surpassed this hull imo. However you won't find a better chop handling inboard anywhere, period. That's the only thing I miss about it.
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       07-28-2016, 1:54 PM Reply   
FINALLY! Took the SC out this morning and got a really good session in. Being I'm at 5600' I could only load the rear with 85% and the nose at 100%. Just a guess but I'm pretty close with 1600 in the rear and 1000 in the nose. Riding a 75' line at 24 mph this wake is very impressive. Riding a new wake and a new board I came out pretty decent. Vote for SC all the way and if you're in or around UT let me know and we can get out. Also have mine listed here
Old     (SurfBoard)      Join Date: Mar 2015       07-28-2016, 4:01 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by downfortheride View Post
FINALLY! Took the SC out this morning and got a really good session in. Being I'm at 5600' I could only load the rear with 85% and the nose at 100%. Just a guess but I'm pretty close with 1600 in the rear and 1000 in the nose. Riding a 75' line at 24 mph this wake is very impressive. Riding a new wake and a new board I came out pretty decent. Vote for SC all the way and if you're in or around UT let me know and we can get out. Also have mine listed here

Nothing like some good air.
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       07-28-2016, 4:07 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by downfortheride View Post

What board you riding. I went to the Murray 150 and really like it. Not quite as much pop as my Kruz but still good.
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       07-28-2016, 4:23 PM Reply   
Quote:
What board you riding. I went to the Murray 150 and really like it. Not quite as much pop as my Kruz but still good.
This board is the RONIX ONE, I usually ride the Byerly AR1.
Old     (Willie_b)      Join Date: Jul 2016       07-29-2016, 12:49 PM Reply   
Nice work! Wake looks good, lots of transition.
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       08-01-2016, 3:30 PM Reply   
Quote:
Nice work! Wake looks good, lots of transition.
Can't wait to see your new boat, keep us posted
Old     (davez71)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-03-2016, 5:41 AM Reply   
You are not in a bad situation for choosing a boat. With that being said I will share my thoughts on each.

I have spent about 100 hrs. on an X25 as my good friend purchased on last year. The wakeboard wake is very nice and with some additional weight it is on par with many of the top boats. The X25 that I surfed had GSA on it and it surfs just at good as my X23 with less weight. The wave is super nice. You cant beat MC on the Fit and Finish and the X25 is a very desirable boat. Also, another thing to keep in mind, the X25 will ride night and day better than the Supra in rough water/going over waves due to the hull shape and will feel a lot more solid when hitting those waves. When looking at the X25, stay away from the 2012s, the software wasn't very good that year.

The only experience I have with Supra is a neighbor down the street that bought a 2015 SA. I have surfed and wakeboarded behind it and while the wakeboard wake is nice, the surf wave was nothing to write home about. They have had nothing but problems with the boat, but that is not indicative of all Supra's. I have had some first year bugs on my MC but they have had it a lot worse. The fit and finish is not as good as MC and MCs attention to detail. At one point while on the SA on a busy weekend, my wife leaned over to me and commented on how much of a beating she was taking on the SA. It just didn't cut through the other boat waves like my X23 and you just got beat up. The X25 ride very similar to the X23, but the supra turns a lot better because of the flat hull.

You can take my review for what its worth and im sure the Supra homers will attack me, but this is just my take on MC vs Supra. I believe that the MC will have a better resale in the long run vs the Supra as up until a few years ago, Supra boats were sub par. The new Supra boats look super nice and offer many great features, but when you ride in one and compare, I see something different.

Everyone has a personal opinion when it comes to boats, i would recommend to demo both and see what fits your needs. I would suggest to make whatever water you drive on rough by making turns and then drive both boats through it.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-03-2016, 12:04 PM Reply   
No need to attack you for sure, but find some of that info straight strange...
-The SA pulls the PWT and plenty of surf and wakeboard wake pics to confirm you are very wrong. We surf the SA all the time and I don't think you will find many people say that any MC in the entire line up will surf better than an SA. Again, just your opinion and mine, but even every MC owner I know says that MC is behind just about everyone in surf. If you and your buddy would like some help setting up your surf plates and settings and ballast, let me know. Most of us have changed the factory settings. Very easy to do. Happy to help.
-I think the Supra fit and finish is right there with Mastercraft. I agree it did not used to be in the past and yes I agree the MC has beautiful fit and finish. Again, strictly my opinion.
-I think the SC handles rough water quite well and so does the SA. The OP is asking about the SC, not the SA you were comparing. Cannot compare to the MC but it has a nice deep hull and feels safe while crossing rough water. Can't confirm that one is better than the other. All the boats suck when it is truly white cap weather, so I will take your word for it.
-As for resale, I can say that I sell mine nearly every year and never have an issue selling in the winter time. I think times are changing a bit and as surf is getting more popular you are seeing MC struggle more than others. Still a gorgeous boat and great brand with a loyal following. Again, just my opinion. I have a dealers license and sell boats on occasion and have sold all brands. No owners goggles here.

No need to battle back and forth. Just trying to add clarity to your comments above.
Old     (frozenorth)      Join Date: Feb 2013       08-08-2016, 11:52 AM Reply   
I'm not going to comment on the Supra as I really don't know much about them and we rarely see a supra on the water around our area. To me that says something right there.

As for the X-25, I own a 2013, and before that we had a 05 x-2 (205v hull). What kind of wake shape do you like? That's the bottom line when you are looking at boats. Looking at the picture posted above, I look at that and cringe. That's exactly the shape that I don't like. 4500 pounds of ballast and you get a speed bump with very little lip or straight up pop and one long transition. If that's what you like and want than the X-25 is the exact opposite boat you should buy.

The X-25 is about as far from a beginner boat as you can get. 21 mph with no weight and two passengers is slowest this boat can go with a clean wake (that's on a good day). On the flip side that's the best thing about this boat though. You don't need 4500 pounds of weight. we Fill the center KGB and put a 540 in the bow walk way and a little bit of weight in the back engine compartments to balance the boat depending on how many we have in the boat (maybe 100-150) and that's it. 22-23 mph to clean up the wake. If you fill everything, stock ballast and the additional 450's on each side of the engine the wake gets real big, and rock hard but you need to be at least 24 mph min. My knees can't take the fully loaded X-25 anymore, but I can ride behind an xstar with 5000 pounds and not even blink. (another wake I don't like)

The surf wake. Not sure who said it wasn't a good surf wake? It was MC's best surf wake with maybe the exception of the X-30 when I bought my boat in 2013. I think the comment was you can't get the surf wake clean? My 2013 starboard side isn't what I'd call clean but it has great size and probably the hardest best push that I've ridden behind. You have to play around with the middle tab though. We also have to weight the starboard side with at least another 500 pounds more than what we need on the port side to get a great surf wake. The port side all you need to ride is the additional 450 in the back engine compartment and it's better than most boats. When we fill up the coffin on the port side the wake is really nice. We have video's of three people surfing on the port side wave when it's weighted properly with the back person at least 20 feet behind the boat. She was a very good surfer and weighed 110 pounds which helps. So anyone saying the X-25 doesn't surf well didn't surf behind a properly set up boat.

The X-25 isn't the boat for a lot of people. If you are old school like me and like the old 205v hull or the SAN 210's the X-25 will exceed any expectation you have. If you like the long transition speed bump type wake than the X-25 isn't what you'll be looking for.

I attached a picture. I hate comparing wakes by a picture because they only tell have the story. How hard the wake is, how steep, wide, ect. That's my wake, 23 mph. two people in the boat with the 540 filled in the bow and the front KGB ballast filled. No ballast at all filled in the back. I like the fact that it gets on plane in two seconds flat and you don't have to worry about everyone rushing to the bow to get it going.
Attached Images

Old     (Gotmods)      Join Date: Nov 2012       08-10-2016, 11:48 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenorth View Post
I'm not going to comment on the Supra as I really don't know much about them and we rarely see a supra on the water around our area. To me that says something right there.

As for the X-25, I own a 2013, and before that we had a 05 x-2 (205v hull). What kind of wake shape do you like? That's the bottom line when you are looking at boats. Looking at the picture posted above, I look at that and cringe. That's exactly the shape that I don't like. 4500 pounds of ballast and you get a speed bump with very little lip or straight up pop and one long transition. If that's what you like and want than the X-25 is the exact opposite boat you should buy.

The X-25 is about as far from a beginner boat as you can get. 21 mph with no weight and two passengers is slowest this boat can go with a clean wake (that's on a good day). On the flip side that's the best thing about this boat though. You don't need 4500 pounds of weight. we Fill the center KGB and put a 540 in the bow walk way and a little bit of weight in the back engine compartments to balance the boat depending on how many we have in the boat (maybe 100-150) and that's it. 22-23 mph to clean up the wake. If you fill everything, stock ballast and the additional 450's on each side of the engine the wake gets real big, and rock hard but you need to be at least 24 mph min. My knees can't take the fully loaded X-25 anymore, but I can ride behind an xstar with 5000 pounds and not even blink. (another wake I don't like)

The surf wake. Not sure who said it wasn't a good surf wake? It was MC's best surf wake with maybe the exception of the X-30 when I bought my boat in 2013. I think the comment was you can't get the surf wake clean? My 2013 starboard side isn't what I'd call clean but it has great size and probably the hardest best push that I've ridden behind. You have to play around with the middle tab though. We also have to weight the starboard side with at least another 500 pounds more than what we need on the port side to get a great surf wake. The port side all you need to ride is the additional 450 in the back engine compartment and it's better than most boats. When we fill up the coffin on the port side the wake is really nice. We have video's of three people surfing on the port side wave when it's weighted properly with the back person at least 20 feet behind the boat. She was a very good surfer and weighed 110 pounds which helps. So anyone saying the X-25 doesn't surf well didn't surf behind a properly set up boat.

The X-25 isn't the boat for a lot of people. If you are old school like me and like the old 205v hull or the SAN 210's the X-25 will exceed any expectation you have. If you like the long transition speed bump type wake than the X-25 isn't what you'll be looking for.

I attached a picture. I hate comparing wakes by a picture because they only tell have the story. How hard the wake is, how steep, wide, ect. That's my wake, 23 mph. two people in the boat with the 540 filled in the bow and the front KGB ballast filled. No ballast at all filled in the back. I like the fact that it gets on plane in two seconds flat and you don't have to worry about everyone rushing to the bow to get it going.
Let's see the surf wave
Old     (Connolly_Crew)      Join Date: Mar 2016       08-11-2016, 4:23 AM Reply   
SC
Old     (aricsx15)      Join Date: Jan 2014       08-11-2016, 11:25 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmods View Post
Let's see the surf wave
Cheating pic. 2011 x25 with go surf assist
Attached Images

Old     (frozenorth)      Join Date: Feb 2013       08-12-2016, 1:09 PM Reply   
what does the starboard side look like with go surf assist?
Old     (Willie_b)      Join Date: Jul 2016       09-03-2016, 12:22 PM Reply   
I finally pulled the trigger on a boat after a lot of procrastinating and time away from home due to work. Ended up getting the SC450 from fellow WW member Tims.
Attached Images

Old     (Davewfo)      Join Date: Apr 2013       09-03-2016, 9:02 PM Reply   
Congrats on the new boat great color scheme ! I am picking up a 16 SE450 with a similar colors this weekend. I cant wait to go and get it.
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       09-04-2016, 6:28 AM Reply   
Nice
Old     (alexair)      Join Date: Oct 2008       09-04-2016, 9:42 AM Reply   
superb choice
Old     (SurfBoard)      Join Date: Mar 2015       09-04-2016, 7:10 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie_b View Post
I finally pulled the trigger on a boat after a lot of procrastinating and time away from home due to work. Ended up getting the SC450 from fellow WW member Tims.

Was that out of Knoxville? Lenior City area?
Old     (Willie_b)      Join Date: Jul 2016       09-07-2016, 7:58 PM Reply   
Yes, it was out of Lenior City. Also that SE is on great looking boat!
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       09-08-2016, 7:15 AM Reply   
I've ridden that SC and it throws one of the sickest waves I've ever seen. Tims had it dialed in.