Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (suprafly08)      Join Date: Dec 2008       06-21-2017, 9:52 AM Reply   
I'm not looking to get into a G at this time. But I'm considering one of the following

Nautique 230
Malibu 23lsv
Supra SA

I'm open to other recommendations, but mostly considering those three.

I know the 23lsv will be all new for 2018, and I'm potentially very interested in that although that means more $$$ as they probably won't move much on a new boat.

But given those three, which boat tends to surf the best?
Old     (Stazi)      Join Date: Sep 2011       06-21-2017, 11:27 AM Reply   
Don't overlook the Moomba Mojo
Old     (Chugh2surf)      Join Date: Apr 2017       06-21-2017, 9:46 PM Reply   
Out of those 3 Supra SA hands down but I would also check out Tige RZX and the Centurion RI237
Old     (Padge)      Join Date: Feb 2017       06-22-2017, 2:11 AM Reply   
Malibu will be the largest feeling boat inside in my opinion. And also the most luxurious. I've been in the new sa and the new lsv. Sa is a sweet boat but my vote is the lsv. I know the nautique is very well built, but it will have the worst surf wave of the three
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       06-22-2017, 6:44 AM Reply   
2018 23LSV. Amazing boats.
Old     (Rusty1977)      Join Date: Mar 2017       06-22-2017, 6:53 AM Reply   
Supra SA all day and every day over the other two boats. Might even save a little coin over the outdated lsv. The Supra line is top notch all the way.

If you mainly surf look at the mojo and sink the heck out of it. Best boat for the money.
Old     (dakota4ce)      Join Date: Oct 2015       06-22-2017, 6:57 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post
2018 23LSV. Amazing boats.

You've seen it? It's reported to be a complete redesign coming.
Old     (Padge)      Join Date: Feb 2017       06-22-2017, 6:57 AM Reply   
Outdated? Have you been inside both to compare?
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       06-22-2017, 8:16 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota4ce View Post
You've seen it? It's reported to be a complete redesign coming.
I meant the Malibu's in general. Their 2017 new models are great boats. And the 17 23LSV is already a rock solid boat. Without a doubt, the re-designed 23LSV will be a great boat.
Old     (dakota4ce)      Join Date: Oct 2015       06-22-2017, 8:37 AM Reply   
I thought you had double secret spy info! LOL
Old     (Rusty1977)      Join Date: Mar 2017       06-22-2017, 10:12 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padge View Post
Outdated? Have you been inside both to compare?

Yes. 2017 to 2017 Supra wins. Autowake, surf storage, rear facing seats, huge bow seating, and swell surf to just name a few.

If they do to the lsv what they did to the mxz then new discussion maybe.

I would add that I like Malibu boats a lot and would own one in a heartbeat. I am only speaking to the op boat comparison request.

Last edited by Rusty1977; 06-22-2017 at 10:18 AM.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-22-2017, 11:23 AM Reply   
These threads crack me up. Very little helpful information is ever given. Just a bunch of fan boys..... and I guess Nautique only sells garbage now.
Old     (Rusty1977)      Join Date: Mar 2017       06-22-2017, 11:52 AM Reply   
That's how a forum works. People ask for opinions. People give opinions. That now makes them fan boys. I don't understand.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       06-22-2017, 5:47 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by markj View Post
These threads crack me up. Very little helpful information is ever given. Just a bunch of fan boys..... and I guess Nautique only sells garbage now.

If the G23 was on the list we could talk. G23 over 23LSV for sure. But I'm not sure the SAN 230 is better than the 23LSV.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-22-2017, 7:18 PM Reply   
My point is no one says anything more than "this is better than that." Really? How? Why? What makes this better than that? How helpful is it to just yap about anything without backing it up with useable facts? What makes Supra's surf system better than Malibu's or NSS and vice versa? What about ballast capacity? Cubic feet of storage? Fuel economy? Tower height? Board racks? Let's see pics of the surf wake. Etc etc etc... One of my biggest pet peaves is reading someone say this or that interior "feels" bigger. Oh really? Get a tape measure like I did and settle it right there before you buy. When all you can say is this is better than that without some facts as to why, you're nothing more than a fanboy. Internet opinions are near worthless. This is EXACTLY why events like Polar Bear are so valuable to consumers. You get to feel, touch, inspect and ride behind all kinds of boats back to back and decide for yourself what fits you best.
Old     (Rusty1977)      Join Date: Mar 2017       06-22-2017, 8:13 PM Reply   
Quote:
My point is no one says anything more than "this is better than that." Really? How? Why? What makes this better than that? How helpful is it to just yap about anything without backing it up with useable facts? What makes Supra's surf system better than Malibu's or NSS and vice versa? What about ballast capacity? Cubic feet of storage? Fuel economy? Tower height? Board racks? Let's see pics of the surf wake. Etc etc etc... One of my biggest pet peaves is reading someone say this or that interior "feels" bigger. Oh really? Get a tape measure like I did and settle it right there before you buy. When all you can say is this is better than that without some facts as to why, you're nothing more than a fanboy. Internet opinions are near worthless. This is EXACTLY why events like Polar Bear are so valuable to consumers. You get to adds feel, touch, inspect and ride behind all kinds of boats back to back and decide for yourself what fits you best.

What a crack up. Sorry I bothered you giving my opinion to op which he asked for.

Btw I would absolutely love to own a Malibu or Nautique. But I appreciate the name calling. Thanks.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-22-2017, 8:58 PM Reply   
No problem, Supra fanboy #1. Btw, I love Supra's. They're knocking on Nautique's back door. They make Malibu seem like an Axis and bring a tear to the eye of every Mastercraft owner. How's that for an internet opinion? I was a really big help there, wasn't I?
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-22-2017, 10:32 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty1977 View Post
Yes. 2017 to 2017 Supra wins. Autowake, surf storage, rear facing seats, huge bow seating, and swell surf to just name a few.

If they do to the lsv what they did to the mxz then new discussion maybe.

I would add that I like Malibu boats a lot and would own one in a heartbeat. I am only speaking to the op boat comparison request.
Hey, I gotta apologize. I overlooked this post earlier. You're the only one who has been helpful.
Old     (holdsworth)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-23-2017, 4:40 AM Reply   
I'm a Mastercraft guy and will toss the XT23 and X23 into mind. Although I haven't surfed either, I've heard nothing but good things from people about both boats. Search youtube/facebook/instagram for pics and vids of people surfing both. The interior layouts are solid on both and the X23 has a little more to offer overall, including pickle fork for larger bow. I have wakeboarded behind the XT23 and really enjoyed it.
Old     (Rusty1977)      Join Date: Mar 2017       06-23-2017, 6:20 AM Reply   
Quote:
Hey, I gotta apologize. I overlooked this post earlier. You're the only one who has been helpful.

Thanks. Accepted.
Old     (mlzelenik)      Join Date: Apr 2016       06-23-2017, 6:49 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by holdsworth View Post
I'm a Mastercraft guy and will toss the XT23 and X23 into mind. Although I haven't surfed either, I've heard nothing but good things from people about both boats. Search youtube/facebook/instagram for pics and vids of people surfing both. The interior layouts are solid on both and the X23 has a little more to offer overall, including pickle fork for larger bow. I have wakeboarded behind the XT23 and really enjoyed it.
Is the XT23 hull much different than the most recent X30 hull? stock for stock ballast my neighbor's 15' X30 Is not up to par with our Supra SE450's wave. Still an awesome boat and not a great comparison due to the SE being 1.5 feet longer.

I hear the SA has a very similar wave to the SE, so the XT23 might not do it for the OP. X23 definitely would though. There's a guy I keep seeing with an X23 on our lake that I need to make friends with... I want a pull
Old     (Mike88)      Join Date: Aug 2016       06-23-2017, 9:00 AM Reply   
Since you want a surf machine. Personally

I wouldn't go with a bu's. Simply because as you say in 2018 it will be entirely redesign. They are really good boat but the surf system need some new. As they done in 2018 because competition is really aggressive. I think in 2017 the pnp ballast don't even come stock, you had to buy your own fat sac in option.. that an odd marketing idea and they fix that in 2018 too.

As long as we talk of 2017. I would definitely change my list and test drive :
- Supra SG or SA
- tige RZX3, RZX2
- centurion Ri237

Like you said you said you are surfing almost all the time and their are the top 3 surfing machine for 2017.
G23 would be on this list too but a little too much pricy for my opinion. Really great boat but you pay a little bit more to have pretty the same as the other and you don't want it haha.

I'm talking for 2017 because if you look around 2016 my list would be completely different too.
Centurion and Supra REALLY made lots of improvement this year ( mostly because competition was kind of knocking them)
For the surf wave I would go for the centurion in 2017..
centurion is now a nautique brand so no scare to have on quality and reability. Like older centurion models.

Supra in 2016 2017 really improve themself too. Makes them one of the most selling brand.
The surf system is really simply and works pretty damn well for a simple touch and go button.

Personally i own a 2016 tige. Because I prefer having lots of settting for my surf wave. But everyone is different.
You have to make compromise sometimes! To have the best wave on the market you have to work a little bit and dial it.
Taps3 system makes it pretty simple but still need some adjustement depending on the wind and people in the boat.
It's not a push button and surf like Mastercraft, Malibu and Supra. They all have their pos and cons.

Push button and go is really simple, takes 2 sec and your out surfing but you deal with the wave you get and move people places when the wave is not ok.
Dialing wave like tige Have plenty setting to achieve the perfect wave, but it takes a little bit more time. Most of the time it's just the first ride of the season. You try it and dial it as you like and save the setting on the computer And your good. You have to play with your taps a little bit when the wind is blowing crazy or you have 5 more people in the boat as your original settings but it's really easy with the surf remote in your hand. It stay really simple too..

Mastercraft. Really good quality boat. But for my opinion you pay for the interior and everything beside the surf system. They are really great boats but you can have a better wave with others.

Finally ! It's all a matter of preference. All these boats are made for surfing so you probably never gonna make a bad choice in all these models. It's just your feeling, take time to test drive your prefered ones and go with your feeling.
They all have their pos and cons.
Some are more head turning, more agressive style, more sensitive, have better sound system, better surf system, etc. It's all a matter of
But.. If i had to change for a 2017 and have the budget for I definitely go with Centurion. They win the 2017 race with Supra really close.

Good luck!
Old     (holdsworth)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-24-2017, 5:51 AM Reply   
Matt online specs show the XT23 having 2600 lbs of ballast. So compared to the old X-30, much better there, plus Gen2 tabs. I'm sure hull shape is quite different and more geared for the surf wave. Speaking for the wake, it's a hell of a lot better than the 30. I'll agree on the X23 being the better boat. 3k pounds of ballast, gen2 tabs, seating for 15, plus the boat weighs 400 lbs more than the XT. Thing is huge inside.

Do keep in mind warranty offerings from different companies... Mastercraft covers a LOT for five years. The Ilmor motors are practically bulletproof, 300 hours on ours and not a single issue. Interior quality, to me, is a lot better than any other brand, and the new CoolFeel seats are really nice. If you go for a 2018, the Klipsch audio setup should be awesome, I'm stoked to find out how it sounds.
Old     (all2matt)      Join Date: Apr 2015       06-24-2017, 7:49 AM Reply   
To me it seems like a battle between Supra and nautique if you want to customize your wave. Both allow for more fine tuning. Where as Malibu is just hit surf and go. I would definitely ride all 3 because for me I didn't like the Malibu wave. Surfgate felt more like a mound the a surf wave, I like a lip to push and pop off of so Malibu definitely didn't do it for me. Granted I only took one test drive and maybe the dealer didn't set us up well enough but for me it was an easy no on the boat. NSS allows me to dial the wave down for my wife and peak it out for me. Supra has the autowake which looks like it will allow you to do a similar thing. I came from a tige Z1 and the wave on that was really peaky and it was fun, but we were listing it so that will ride different than a drifted surf system
Old     (8urchvy)      Join Date: Oct 2016       06-24-2017, 5:14 PM Reply   
Why not a GS22? I have heard good things about them. Also, I heard nautique is coming out with a GS24.
Old     (Rusty1977)      Join Date: Mar 2017       06-24-2017, 11:09 PM Reply   
The op never had mastercraft in his list?
Old     (mlzelenik)      Join Date: Apr 2016       06-26-2017, 6:58 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by holdsworth View Post
Matt online specs show the XT23 having 2600 lbs of ballast. So compared to the old X-30, much better there, plus Gen2 tabs. I'm sure hull shape is quite different and more geared for the surf wave. Speaking for the wake, it's a hell of a lot better than the 30. I'll agree on the X23 being the better boat. 3k pounds of ballast, gen2 tabs, seating for 15, plus the boat weighs 400 lbs more than the XT. Thing is huge inside.

Do keep in mind warranty offerings from different companies... Mastercraft covers a LOT for five years. The Ilmor motors are practically bulletproof, 300 hours on ours and not a single issue. Interior quality, to me, is a lot better than any other brand, and the new CoolFeel seats are really nice. If you go for a 2018, the Klipsch audio setup should be awesome, I'm stoked to find out how it sounds.
Thanks for the knowledge drop. I figured it would be improved over the 30 and sounds like it's much improved. I was just too lazy to read in to it
Old     (208)      Join Date: Jun 2015       06-26-2017, 7:10 PM Reply   
Being in a similar situation trying to decide what boat is next for the remainder of this season and likely 3-5 years....here is what I've personally tested and found by visiting dealers and talking with factory reps and salespeople from the dealerships.

***We only surf and kids are small enough that wakeboarding they just use the weight of the boat, no ballast required yet***

--Centurion RI237 is a monster wave and highly tunable with CATS and surf tabs. Warranty is five years but only 1 year on upholstery stitching!!! Tested a 2016 with H6 450 and it was a rattle can when unloaded and loaded from planing speeds down to surf speeds with weight. Enough to make me ask if it had broken motor mounts. Fit and finish were what I'd expect from a Correct Craft boat. Wave was killer! Needs 400-500 lbs of lead in rear to optimize (Supposeldy 2017's are quieter with the new prop angle and stinger diffuser exhaust plate...haven't tested one to say yes or no) $125K+ is quite steep IMO
--2017Nautique SAN230 409wave was mediocre and had tons of potential...I hope! It was so lacking with 750's in rear and all full stock ballast with a dealer that knows his stuff. I wasn't impressed and would have a difficult time dropping $100k on mediocrity. Fit and finish are top notch
--2017 Tige RZX2 400 had the quickest transfer speeds and interior fit and finish was great. Boat needs weight and lead. Wet ride headed into just a slight breeze due to splash coming off of the chines and wind spraying it back into the boat Very few options required as they come loaded from the factory. Wave was good and likely could be better for additional weight and lead.
--2017 Mastercraft X23 boat rolled back and forth when trying to surf if you had a small kid move inside the boat. Wave looked small and features are a fortune on the build sheets. Way too much $$$ for a good cruising boat.
--2017 23LSV 450 surfed great, needs bow weight badly. And a seat riser to see over the bow rise if you don't have additional bow weight. Interior is top notch as well. Redesign coming in 2018 to make boat top deck taller and have some walkthrough pads as well as little refinements. $120k+ for a well optioned boat. $100k is realistic if you negotiate and don't have a ton of options.
--2017 MB B52 23 nice interior, surf system isn't dialed correctly and they have manual gates due to previous years having failures.

--2018 Axis boats...A24 is complete redesign (I'm hopefully they are copying the 24MXZ) Power wedge II is now an option (closing he gap on Malibu that much more) T22 is a resdeisgn as well. No ability to demo hem yet, a star none are built and at any dealers around me. $70-$96 depending on boat and options.

With all that being said...my local dealers will get my money as it's important to have the support during short seasons. So I'm between Malibu/Axis, Nautique, Supra or Mastercraft. (I wish we had a local Centurion dealer as the RI237 would be a 1st or 2nd pick)

I'm leaning heavily towards the new 2018 Axis A24 with hopes that it will be the inexpensive 24MXZ. I hope this helps someone looking for other opinions on current options.
Old     (Stazi)      Join Date: Sep 2011       06-26-2017, 7:36 PM Reply   
Axis before Supra? You must be high!
Old     (infinitysurf)      Join Date: Apr 2017       06-26-2017, 8:48 PM Reply   
I cannot speak directly to your list as I have not seen all of them, tho I really like the new Supra boats and think they will be major contenders based on reviews and 2 friends that have recently bought one, sucks I have not had a chance yet to get out with one of them. Personally, I am a Centurion guy. I have an 2014 SV244 with CATS/Ramfill that I love and kicks an incredible wave. I surf on a HUGE lake with every brand out there surfing next to me and only boat I have seen with a better wave is the new RI series and an RI237 will be my next boat....had a great demo on that boat and fit n finish is excellent! Will probably upgrade next year tho I may wait one more year since I am so happy with my current Centurion (only thing it does not have is a modern "surf system") and my warranty is good till 2020. I have been using a Nauticurl suck gate on my boat using between 4400-4900lbs of ballast depending on conditions that would be very hard to beat with any modern surf system (you can start the hating now....but if you saw me drive by you on the lake you would likely be drooling).
All the new boats are badass, IMO it comes down mostly to dealer relationship and what you like. Its all about fun and family to me and you can do that on any brand.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-26-2017, 10:53 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 208 View Post
Being in a similar situation trying to decide what boat is next for the remainder of this season and likely 3-5 years....here is what I've personally tested and found by visiting dealers and talking with factory reps and salespeople from the dealerships.

***We only surf and kids are small enough that wakeboarding they just use the weight of the boat, no ballast required yet***

--Centurion RI237 is a monster wave and highly tunable with CATS and surf tabs. Warranty is five years but only 1 year on upholstery stitching!!! Tested a 2016 with H6 450 and it was a rattle can when unloaded and loaded from planing speeds down to surf speeds with weight. Enough to make me ask if it had broken motor mounts. Fit and finish were what I'd expect from a Correct Craft boat. Wave was killer! Needs 400-500 lbs of lead in rear to optimize (Supposeldy 2017's are quieter with the new prop angle and stinger diffuser exhaust plate...haven't tested one to say yes or no) $125K+ is quite steep IMO
--2017Nautique SAN230 409wave was mediocre and had tons of potential...I hope! It was so lacking with 750's in rear and all full stock ballast with a dealer that knows his stuff. I wasn't impressed and would have a difficult time dropping $100k on mediocrity. Fit and finish are top notch
--2017 Tige RZX2 400 had the quickest transfer speeds and interior fit and finish was great. Boat needs weight and lead. Wet ride headed into just a slight breeze due to splash coming off of the chines and wind spraying it back into the boat Very few options required as they come loaded from the factory. Wave was good and likely could be better for additional weight and lead.
--2017 Mastercraft X23 boat rolled back and forth when trying to surf if you had a small kid move inside the boat. Wave looked small and features are a fortune on the build sheets. Way too much $$$ for a good cruising boat.
--2017 23LSV 450 surfed great, needs bow weight badly. And a seat riser to see over the bow rise if you don't have additional bow weight. Interior is top notch as well. Redesign coming in 2018 to make boat top deck taller and have some walkthrough pads as well as little refinements. $120k+ for a well optioned boat. $100k is realistic if you negotiate and don't have a ton of options.
--2017 MB B52 23 nice interior, surf system isn't dialed correctly and they have manual gates due to previous years having failures.

--2018 Axis boats...A24 is complete redesign (I'm hopefully they are copying the 24MXZ) Power wedge II is now an option (closing he gap on Malibu that much more) T22 is a resdeisgn as well. No ability to demo hem yet, a star none are built and at any dealers around me. $70-$96 depending on boat and options.

With all that being said...my local dealers will get my money as it's important to have the support during short seasons. So I'm between Malibu/Axis, Nautique, Supra or Mastercraft. (I wish we had a local Centurion dealer as the RI237 would be a 1st or 2nd pick)

I'm leaning heavily towards the new 2018 Axis A24 with hopes that it will be the inexpensive 24MXZ. I hope this helps someone looking for other opinions on current options.
Great write up and speaking from experience, I can tell you that the Nautique 230 makes an AWESOME wave if you give it the weight it needs. All it takes is a call to wakemakers. One touch from the dash and you have a world class surf wake with all ballast concealed and all that adjustability that only NSS provides. I have 3350 lbs of PNP ballast all controlled from my dash. My boat would be a total sleeper except for the fact that it's the best looking boat on the water. Hard to hide behind all that beauty. Lol. Seriously though, bring an 1100 lb sack on the demo if you want to see what I'm claiming. Thank me later.
Old     (whatshesaid)      Join Date: Jun 2013       06-27-2017, 10:59 AM Reply   
DEMO, DEMO, DEMO!
I surfed them all, Malibu was my favorite in 2016 (2016 2LSV), previous boat was a 2011 RZ2.
Other manufactures didn't even know how to setup there stock boats to surf (with pro riders doing demo's) All the fine tuning other manufactures will drive you crazy. Also the Malibu has a great wakeboard wake @ 18mph, clean on both sides, and that's something my 10 year can enjoy. Other deep V boats need 21-22MPH to clean up on both sides, and that's not fun for me as I turned 40 this year. DEMO, AND RIDE THE WAVE!
Old     (whatshesaid)      Join Date: Jun 2013       06-27-2017, 11:06 AM Reply   
23lsv
Old     (pcuezze)      Join Date: Aug 2014       06-27-2017, 11:08 AM Reply   
+1 to demoing. Your thread only asks about the surf wake. If that's your only concern, the Centurion should be on your list. I'm on record as saying the Supra surf wake shocked me. I have a lot of hours on a 230 and it needs substantial additional weight but will throw a great wake on both sides. The x30 was a great surfing boat and I understand the xt is basically the same wake. IMHO, you should ask for more than just a surf wake at this price point. But you didn't. Is anything else important to you (wakeboarding, rough water, space, storage, fit and finish??)

Btw, I have an x23 and absolutely love it. I'm sure some of it is bias for having ridden it 3 straight years. But I think it is overly-maligned on this forum sometimes.