Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-07-2016, 7:59 AM Reply   
Unfortunately, I don't see a trailer hitch on the 2017 Audi SQ7 or it could be a bad azz tow vehicle. Probably not the best for 22'+ boats but maybe the 20' and 21's.

4.0 L diesel sporting 429 hp and 663 lb/ft of torque and they claim zero turbo lag. They probably claim it passes emissions too..
http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/audis-...d-z-1762857083
Attached Images

Old     (gregtay)      Join Date: Aug 2008       03-09-2016, 10:02 PM Reply   
Would tow a 22-23 foot boat without an issue. We tow our 23LSVwith the 3.0TDI Q7 w/ air susp and it pulls great, zero wag or even feeling the boat back there. The 3.0TDI is fine over the mt passes but its working pretty hard up long steep climbs to keep things moving at 75mph.

We also have a V10TDI Touareg which is what we do most of our towing with... The v10 is the predecessor to the V8TDI motor in the new Q7. With the V10 we don't even know the boat is back there, effortless towing regardless of how steep the road gets and handles like a sports car even with the boat in tow. It's that good. And.. if you are worried about braking... the oversized brakes are designed to stop the thing at 160+ on the Autobauhn... never and issue. Expensive as hell to maintain but worth it.

Sadly.. that V8 TDI Q7 will not be coming to the US market. We might get an SQ7 but it will likely just be a slightly tweaked version of the 3.0TSI motor.... nothing to get too excited about
Old     (RAMZAK)      Join Date: Aug 2014       03-09-2016, 10:11 PM Reply   
You can tow a boat with just about anything.

The issue is breaking and frame strength for safe handling. Having 4000lbs of boat behind you makes it very scary when breaking with these smaller cars.
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       03-10-2016, 5:42 AM Reply   
^Does anyone have a boat and trailer that only weighs 4000lbs anymore?? More like 6000lbs-9000lbs, depending on the average 22-23 footer.

Breaking is the last thing that worries me on these german midsize suv's. 90% of them have better braking capabilities than any half ton truck. It is the wheelbase in emergency situations that worries me the most.
Old     (gregtay)      Join Date: Aug 2008       03-10-2016, 1:41 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMZAK View Post

The issue is breaking and frame strength for safe handling. Having 4000lbs of boat behind you makes it very scary when breaking with these smaller cars.
Have you tried it? I am surprised how many people say this without actually getting behind the wheel of one of these German SUVs and pulling a tow boat. My 23LSV is probably closer to 6K+ pounds. I had a new Tundra (5.7L), an Armada, the Q7 and V10 Touareg. The Touareg has been by far the best of the bunch for towing. Most stable, best on braking (Including panic stops), zero trailer sway or any handling effects from the boat whatsoever, best fuel economy (I can tow the boat from Seattle to Spokane over the pass on one tank... my Tundra needed a fill after I made it over the i90 pass!) I get the "big truck" mentality.. I use to think like that which is why i had my other trucks over the years but my eyes were opened and now I get it. Hell no I wouldn't suggest trying to tow my boat with a 4Runner or any other normal mid-sized SUV... but there are a few German SUVs that are more than up for the task. I would never ever ever risk the safety of my family and can honestly say I feel more confidant and safe tossing everyone in the Touareg and towing the boat to the lake than I have felt in any other vehicle. We have towed 1000's of miles with it and driving in high wind, rain,, some snow, awful traffic, panic stops, etc... and it has been rock solid 100% of the time, never a single moment where I thought the boat was driving the car or that i "wish I was towing with something 'bigger'" (but I have had moment when I almost forgot teh boat was back there!). My Touareg weighs more than most full size trucks and it has some amazing technology to keep everyone perfectly stable. The Q7 is nearly as good but actually the longer wheelbase and rear over hang actually works against it (yes.. the reverse of the traditional thinking.) And the V6 TDI is good.. but the V10 is an entirely different beast. Sadly 2008 was the last year the US market saw any of VAG's big TDIs so we are stuck with the 3.0 TDI now and the latest generation Touareg is more of a soccer mom car vs. the previous gen which was a "do everything" SUV.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-11-2016, 7:29 AM Reply   
Thanks for the feeback on the Touareg and Q7. I've known that the V10 Touareg was a beast. It's funny how the big American V8 diesel's are twice the size of the VAG ones and don't make that much more power.
Old     (theloungelife)      Join Date: Jun 2012 Location: Salt Lake City, UT       03-11-2016, 12:32 PM Reply   
I tow my 03' VLX with an 06' VW Treg V8 Gas. Works great. I'm towing up and down mountain passes as well (live in Salt Lake City). I'd take my Treg over a 1/4 ton pickup any day of the week.
Old     (laptom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-12-2016, 12:58 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMZAK View Post

Not to bash other brands, but towing with a Q7 is another league comparing with 1/4 or 1/2. This thing does all well. The frame structure is more stiff then any 2d ladder chassis you can find. And German cars know their brakes. Also the weight distribution on a SUV is very good.

I had a Q7 with a V12 TDI. Best car ever. You could drive +160mph, tow a Boeing 747 or move your whole family with it. Drove 180k miles in 4.5yrs without 1 single issue.
Old     (WheelerWake)      Join Date: Mar 2013       03-12-2016, 9:29 AM Reply   
I'm not familiar with the term, what is a 1/4 ton pickup?
Old     (WheelerWake)      Join Date: Mar 2013       03-12-2016, 9:48 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyb View Post
It's funny how the big American V8 diesel's are twice the size of the VAG ones and don't make that much more power.
They might be doing the same way the did with the Audi A3 2.0L TDI. By cheating during emission testing and producing 40X the pollutants. I would never trust them.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-16-2016, 5:54 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelerWake View Post
They might be doing the same way the did with the Audi A3 2.0L TDI. By cheating during emission testing and producing 40X the pollutants. I would never trust them.
you mean like 75% of the diesel truck owners who rip the DPF off and then put a programmer on it so their brand new diesel is rollin' coal?
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       03-16-2016, 6:08 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyb View Post
you mean like 75% of the diesel truck owners who rip the DPF off and then put a programmer on it so their brand new diesel is rollin' coal?
I have no dpf, and my truck is tuned. Doesn't give even a puff of smoke.
Old     (laptom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-17-2016, 1:46 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmorlan View Post
I have no dpf, and my truck is tuned. Doesn't give even a puff of smoke.
Same for the Audi
Old     (dreamer)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-17-2016, 7:15 AM Reply   
I'm surprised the Q7 is only rated at 6600#'s towing while the Touareg TDi is 7700#'s.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       03-17-2016, 8:38 AM Reply   
Cool car. There a difference between capable of towing, and intended for towing.