Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (parkcityxj)      Join Date: Mar 2001       12-01-2018, 4:20 PM Reply   
I'm going to get a slip this year and undecided on which one to get. The wind typically blows north, but the direction can be unpredictable. The end slips are easy to dock and less of a chance of the slipmate from banging into you, however, there isn't much wind protection from rollers and waves. But the shared slips might have better wind coverage.

Thoughts?

Last edited by parkcityxj; 12-01-2018 at 4:29 PM.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       12-01-2018, 5:14 PM Reply   
Slip 10, easiest to land and no mate
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-01-2018, 5:19 PM Reply   
I’m confused the slip you drew a pic of has the ability for 20 boats but the google pic you shown looks much smaller just trying to get a idea of what dock your talking about and how is it situated.
Old     (parkcityxj)      Join Date: Mar 2001       12-01-2018, 5:31 PM Reply   
Quote:
’m confused the slip you drew a pic of has the ability for 20 boats but the google pic you shown looks much smaller just trying to get a idea of what dock your talking about and how is it situated.
The small dock with the pink arrow is an old google earth image, it's been replaced with the larger dock.

Also, the wind blows north in the am and from the south in the afternoon.. Afternoon winds tend to be stronger, but it's really unpredictable living in the mountains and not always choppy.

Last edited by parkcityxj; 12-01-2018 at 5:34 PM.
Old     (gravity)      Join Date: Jul 2009       12-01-2018, 8:31 PM Reply   
I would probably pick slip one depending on water depth.
Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       12-01-2018, 11:44 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravity View Post
I would probably pick slip one depending on water depth.
second this- if slip one is closest to land as diagram shows and no slip mate i would go that route. less of a walk to load/unload as well.

Last edited by bass10after; 12-01-2018 at 11:46 PM.
Old     (Bakes)      Join Date: Mar 2010       12-02-2018, 2:50 AM Reply   
Never slip 10. That gonna be a rough spot. So many abused boats in that spot over the years. It’s all easy once you practice a few times. Water depth may be an issue so further out from shore is better. Make sure you have near ridiculous protection from your slip mate. Not everyone is a good driver and ties knots well.
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       12-02-2018, 5:16 AM Reply   
Get the outside slip. I am a pro at this as I have multiple slips on our small neighborhood slip. #1 water depth in the summer, makes docking easy, especially is my wife takes the boat.

#2, large waves hit the shore harder than first few docks, so if you have shallow water it becomes worse

#3 pick a side like slip 4 or 6 so the water pushes the boat away from the dock. Use hippy hoppy balls, no damage to boat, also you are on the same side as the dock when driving, so you can grab the dock while being in the driver seat.

#4 You never know when the boats will change. so having a 25 ft pontoon next to you will cause backing up a pain when you are the second boat in the slip from the outside.

Hope this helps
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       12-02-2018, 5:20 AM Reply   
also, stay on the side where you back up out to the water, so you don't have to manage waves pushing you towards the shore when you then try to back up, it pushing you closer to shore. head ache for those who have limited experience. Also, use 3 tie points. front and back, then a 3rd from back tie point to center of boat, keeping it from walking forward. my neighbors don't understand and it destroys the dock. We tie them up and show them so they get it. Then we make everyone keep there lines on the dock so they are tying them up the same way each time.
Old     (Surfer101)      Join Date: Oct 2015       12-02-2018, 11:41 AM Reply   
Slip 4 would be my choice for numerous reasons.

1) more protected from waves and win coming in from the main lake.
2) Assuming you have a v drive reverse will be in your favour. You come into the dock on a slight angle and give it some reverse and it will pull you right into the dock. Then when you go to back out it’ll pull your back end towards shore and facing out so you can easily power out.
3)look at the other spots that are taken, they’re taken for a reason.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-02-2018, 2:37 PM Reply   
End slips have only 1 tie off point so you will be constantly pushed against the dock. Shallow slips may see bigger waves. Somewhere from 6-9 so you can tie off 6 lines to keep the boat off the dock. If unfamiliar, read up on the proper way to secure lines in this situation.
Old     (parkcityxj)      Join Date: Mar 2001       12-02-2018, 2:48 PM Reply   
Well I ended up getting spot #8.

I talked to the marina guy at length. Because the reservoir levels drop so rapidly at the end of summer they sometimes can't keep up with moving the dock he said he's seen people run aground and it can be difficult to get out. The outer spots usually go to Pontoons, and they get a brunt of the waves.

Everybody noses into the slips so with the stronger winds blowing south in the afternoon the bow will help with wind resistance and waves.

So spot 8 offered the the best wind protection, easier to get in as my boat pulls to the right , and the deeper water advantage.. We'll see how it works out, hopefully it doesn't suck lol.