Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (ac88926)      Join Date: Apr 2005       11-18-2009, 1:31 PM Reply   
Hey guys, i recently got some lead wheel weights that total around 300 pounds to go under the seats up front. I have them in army style bags right now but wanted to get feedback from others who have used lead. What do you put your lead in? Ive heard of bank bags to duffle bags. Any suggestions?
Old     (wakeboardertj)      Join Date: May 2005       11-18-2009, 1:35 PM Reply   
^ Where do you come across the wheel weights? Every tire shop i've been to looks at my like i'm stupid.
Old     (wakevb)      Join Date: Feb 2008       11-18-2009, 1:56 PM Reply   
I use craftsman tool bags. $10 a pop, and hold 50 lbs real nice. They've see their fair share of abuse over the 2 years I'v had them.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       11-18-2009, 2:09 PM Reply   
^^^ 2nd Taylor. Every tire shop I have asked has said they get money for that lead and aren't willing to part with it.
Old     (tonis)      Join Date: Mar 2005       11-18-2009, 2:28 PM Reply   
Last time I checked, the battery comanies pick up the wheel weights. They compensate @ cmv.
Old     (ac88926)      Join Date: Apr 2005       11-18-2009, 4:10 PM Reply   
Well, ive been to probably 20 places and only about 4 would give me the weights. Most do look at you crazy when you ask for em but if you search and call around to enough places you can come across some. Most of your big chain tire shops turn them in for credit or new weights. But ive had more luck at like mom and pop tires places and also places that sell custom rims.
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       11-18-2009, 5:05 PM Reply   
I used tool bags from home depot before....$8 each and they hold 60-65 lbs. I think they're called "workforce".
As stated before, you'll have better luck getting weights from the small shops. Goodyear and those other chains won't give them up. It might be for ecological reasons....they don't want the lead to end up in a landfill somewhere. (and quite frankly I don't either)

You can also use 4" PVC pipe, fill with weights and cap the ends using PVC cement. They take up more space than the bags do however.
Old     (wakevb)      Join Date: Feb 2008       11-19-2009, 6:43 AM Reply   
Firestone became my friend. Somehow they were seemingly clueless and gave it to me weekly like crazy. I hit the jackpot at one little mom and pop shop though. Its a good wintertime project:-)

BTW, I think in some states its an actual OSHA violation for them to give them away as well. Proper "disposal" is necessary.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       11-19-2009, 7:14 AM Reply   
^ yup. most shops have contracts with someone (battery manuf makes sense) to come pick up the lead. Once in a while you find one that'll hook you up.

I found small canvas bags at wally world for $3/each IIRC. close to school supplies. been working great for 3 years. the canvas bags are ok, but they'll tear if you move them around too much.
Old     (nelson)      Join Date: Jan 2009       11-19-2009, 10:19 AM Reply   
Hit the small shops I used to give our lead to the fishermen they would come buy once a month and grab it and leave us a case of beer for our troubles.
Old     (wakevb)      Join Date: Feb 2008       11-19-2009, 11:09 AM Reply   
I hate to keep jumping back in, but I forgot a quick tip. Try local 4X4 shops...those guys use massive amounts of lead, usually a lot cooler to deal with than some of the mom and pops, and I had good luck with them. When you tell them its for your wakeboard boat they dont look at you like an idiot:-) You may be able to bribe them with a pull or something to. Similar crowd I guess is what I am getting at.
Old     (nelson)      Join Date: Jan 2009       11-19-2009, 11:50 AM Reply   
2nd Chuch we were an of road store and yes we use mass amounts of weight.
Old     (greg2)      Join Date: May 2002       11-20-2009, 7:56 PM Reply   
I melted it, strained out the metal clips and used small alum bread pans for molds. Bricks vary 22-24 lbs.
Old    usfhookup            11-22-2009, 11:32 PM Reply   
Greg.... how did u melt them down?? I would like to see or listen to the entire process.
Thanks
Old     (wakeboardertj)      Join Date: May 2005       11-23-2009, 12:36 AM Reply   
I heard you just make a fire pit with some hard woods since they burn hotter, maybe even add some diesel to the mix and set the aluminum tray filled with lead into the fire until it melts.
Old     (silvermustang35)      Join Date: Jul 2008       11-23-2009, 4:58 AM Reply   
For our steel weight, I bought a can of the Rubberized undercoating and sprayed it onto the weights. Of course, I grinded them down first and got rid of the rough edges and then sprayed the undercoating. It works great and they stay in place too since they have a sort of traction mat to them.
Old     (kirk)      Join Date: May 2003       11-23-2009, 8:11 AM Reply   
For lead, try your local indoor shooting range...
Old     (kbob)      Join Date: Aug 2009       11-23-2009, 9:33 AM Reply   
If you're going to be melting lead...make sure you use a ventilation mask!
Old     (wakevb)      Join Date: Feb 2008       11-23-2009, 10:54 AM Reply   
or your hair will start turning crispy and falling out! LOL Super dangerous stuff to be melting and playing around with.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       11-23-2009, 11:55 AM Reply   
Don't just use a regular mask. Use filters in it that are designed to protect you from the lead fumes. It will be bad for your health for many years if you don't.
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       11-23-2009, 7:07 PM Reply   
What about large diameter PVC pipes with end caps for easy storage and movable
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-23-2009, 7:13 PM Reply   
Brownie pan from the dollar store worked great for me. Each brick was between 45-50lb. I had to buy the lead from the local tire shop but it worked great with a turkey fryer and a big pot. The only part that sucks is lead is way way heavy!
Old     (jimmy_z)      Join Date: Jun 2009       11-23-2009, 7:26 PM Reply   
"What about large diameter PVC pipes with end caps for easy storage and movable"

Not sure if you meant to just stuff wheel weights into PVC or melting it into it. In case of the latter...

PVC melts at about 414F. Lead becomes molten at around 621F.

Toxicity concerns should be low as long as the temps dont exceed 800-900F. There isnt much concern for toxic fumes in a well ventilated area with lower temps.(like outside with the breeze at your back.)

Be sure to wash your hands after handling raw lead as you will ingest some lead dust and particles if you dont.
Old     (greg2)      Join Date: May 2002       11-24-2009, 9:53 PM Reply   
I did wait for a day with a little wind...stayed upwind of the process and used a mask. I used a coleman stove and an old pot/spoon that I could throw away when I was done. It does take some time, but it was time well spent for me. It is odd to see metal floating in liquid!
Old     (sodaksooner)      Join Date: Nov 2009       11-25-2009, 6:19 AM Reply   
Not a high volume deal, but you can buy specialized lead melting pots for use in making fishing weights and bullets.

We also used to melt the lead on a coleman stove in a cast iron ladle designed for melting and pouring lead. Look at places like Cabela's and Bass Pro or reloading specific shops for items like that.
Old     (jason_b)      Join Date: Feb 2008       11-25-2009, 8:54 AM Reply   
I use lead bricks at work (nuclear cardiology) to shield my area from radiation. If you want nice ones you can order them. Shipping is a biiootch though! My employer is nice enough to donate them to me. lol
www.pinestar.com
Old     (hunterw)      Join Date: Mar 2008       11-25-2009, 3:53 PM Reply   
The last time I melted lead I poured the lead into cans. I know crazy thinking how it will not melt the can but it works great. Any aluminum can will work just fine as well as a soup can. Each can will end up weighing roughly 10lbs each depending on size. A monster can will come in at close to 15. If you want a lot of weight in a small space get a gallon can that fruit or veg. come in from the grocery store and pour it in there. I did that and ended up with like 90lbs.
Old     (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       11-25-2009, 7:07 PM Reply   
Search for the thread by Robert Mitchell. He did a thread about melting down wheel weights and forming them into bricks. he used and old pan with a hole in one side and then filled it up with weights and torched it until the lead melted and ran out the hole in the pan into the mold for the lead bricks. Clean out the metal left over after the lead is gone and repeat the process. And as mentioned, PLEASE be sure to use a ventilation mask of some sort and if possible do all the melting in an open area to help cut back on the fume exposure. You do not want to breathe that stuff in

I'm trying to find a supply for weights here myself. No luck yet, even a friend of mine who has two tire shops, they do like alot of others and sell it for scrap. I still have a few more rocks to turn over
Old     (2006maliblue)      Join Date: Mar 2009       11-25-2009, 8:11 PM Reply   
Here's the thread from when I melted my lead!

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/723945.html?1250091069

I found lead in oakland now for 35 cents a pound from a shooting range, alot cleaner then wheel weights!
Old     (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       11-25-2009, 8:24 PM Reply   
Thats a great idea Robert! I have a few buddies who work at a local range too!
Old     (bryan18)      Join Date: Feb 2010       03-04-2010, 8:09 PM Reply   
I got about 20' of 6" sch80 pvc pipe and cut it into 6 3' sections. Capped one end of each stood on end and filled with tire weights then compressed them with a sledge hammer and capped them. Each 3' section is about 175- 200lbs. I placed 4 on top of my factory tanks in the rear and 1 on each side in the bow. To keep them from rolling around I epoxyed wedges to the sides and covered them in carpet. Alot of weight in a little foot print. Im the manager of a local boat yard and lucked out finding lead, a 4000lb sailboat keel filled with tire weights that we cut off an old sailboat!
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-05-2010, 4:18 PM Reply   
I swapped email today with Troy at Pop Products & have 8 bags on their way home today.
Then I called a neighbor of mine who manages a used car lot (and owns a Malibu Vride) & asked if he had any good contacts with a local tire shop. Of course he did. The manager of the Precision Tire shop nearby is a good buddy of his. A phone call later & I'm goin to pick up a couple of buckets of old lead.
I think that should more than fill the dead spot under the bow cushion in my Vride.