Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through December 22, 2005

Old     (jon_tollefson)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-17-2005, 5:17 PM Reply   
Well since it is to hard to build a slider on the mississippi, and we can't have perment sliders, I am wondering if anyone has hit a slider made by Rave and if it is worth it to buy one or ten. I really have no idea, but i do know I need some type of slider.

Here is a site on them http://www.sportideas.com/sportideas/raslwasl.html

Check it out and any info would be great. Thanks
Old    nething2blind            11-17-2005, 5:24 PM Reply   
they are really flexible. they like to bounce you/
Old     (trojanman)      Join Date: May 2002       11-17-2005, 5:27 PM Reply   
there pretty fun, and living in CA, ill hit any kind of slider I can. With that said, it doesnt compare to a "real" slider - but i think its a great substitute
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       11-17-2005, 6:33 PM Reply   
Fun as hell and a great way to learn. They are super forgiving when you fall, and you can do anything on them.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       11-17-2005, 6:35 PM Reply   
Jrod nailed it, great for learning tricks you know you are going to fall on. I have had one since my first year, but they arent made anymore so good luck finding one.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       11-17-2005, 6:50 PM Reply   
yea rave sliders are probably my best recomendation for riders that want to learn to hit sliders. if u have experience hitting sliders and are looking for something past the learning stage i wouldnt recomend spending the cash for one. u should spend ur money on a winch and build sliders in a pond.
Old    nething2blind            11-17-2005, 9:43 PM Reply   
dont lie jason you dont hit sliders. lol
Old     (pcoak)      Join Date: Dec 2004       11-17-2005, 11:30 PM Reply   
are they worth the money, or are they a pice of
Old     (tnyhwk)      Join Date: Sep 2002       11-18-2005, 4:12 AM Reply   
I have a friend that has a 30 ft Rave slider. I think he is looking as selling it.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       11-18-2005, 8:41 AM Reply   
Rave Sliders suck!!! Dont waste your money. Build your own Floating slider. Rave sliders move all over the place.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       11-18-2005, 9:03 AM Reply   
Any floating slider is going to move.

The Rave Sliders can be taken anywhere. The one you build can't.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       11-18-2005, 9:48 AM Reply   
true, and its fun.....my last session on the slider I was cutting in hard like a cable approach hitting the up and gapping the flat to the down, fun. Its a good way to learn 270s on as well.
Old     (erik_c)      Join Date: Jan 2005       11-18-2005, 10:07 AM Reply   
I have a few of them left if anyone wants one. Good deals.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       11-19-2005, 12:28 AM Reply   
whats a good deal?
Old     (breakz77)      Join Date: Mar 2003       11-19-2005, 9:04 AM Reply   
We have a few left at my shop also for 500 each

If interested let me know.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       11-19-2005, 9:54 AM Reply   
that is a good deal, I bought mine directly from rave for that much a couple years back when nobody had them for less than 999.

Do you have two of the jump sliders and one of the tables to make the 80 ft one?
Old     (kybool)      Join Date: Aug 2004       11-19-2005, 1:41 PM Reply   
Mike, you bringing that thing to Truckee? We may be able to find a good spot for it.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       11-19-2005, 2:39 PM Reply   
not in the initial move, but if business is going well and we stay for the summer I will be coming home to visit and pick up my boat and the slider for sure.
Old     (breakz77)      Join Date: Mar 2003       11-19-2005, 4:33 PM Reply   
Mike,
I'll check and see what I have left... I know I have the table top and I believe 1 jump, possibly two. I'll check early next week some time and let you know for sure.
Old     (jon_tollefson)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-19-2005, 6:13 PM Reply   
Thanks for the info, and I was also wondering if they ever rip from fins or good bails. Mike how long is the table top, All i know is that we need something on the mississippi and it looks like this may be the way to go.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       11-19-2005, 7:50 PM Reply   
yup it is very possible to rip the inflatable part with fins. every event that ive been to that has had the slider set up has required u to remove ur fins if u were plannin on hittin the slider. no prob for me cuz i ride finless no matter what, but fins are deffiantely a hazard to the inflatable
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       11-19-2005, 10:00 PM Reply   
Jon you will want the 30ft rainbow or the 40 even better......not the table unless you get the jump add on to connect to it. Otherwise its a 3 ft ollie on which is a hard way to learn.....

Jason, fins will not rip or puncture the slider period. My first board on it was a hyperlite tfd with the metal a-wings and it didnt do anything other than scuff a bit. On another note, leaving mine in the water for weeks at a time attracted some muskrats, and I now have 27 patched holes in mine from bite marks (i guess muskrats like yellow). The patches are cheap from rave and are still made as they are the same construction as their other products (50 cents for a 8in x 8 in square)

This was a quality product that never took off because of price and lack of demand.....personally most of my crew never took any interest in sliders, but i am and always will be hooked on jibbing.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       11-20-2005, 8:05 AM Reply   
When I was in Copes once, they said they had a Rave on the water to demo it. Said one guy came off early stabbed it with a fin, and that was it.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       11-20-2005, 10:37 AM Reply   
the beautiful thing is it patches easy, and patches hold.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       11-20-2005, 6:27 PM Reply   
well i guess my experiences with the sliders are invalid since mike seems to be so educated on the subject. i think that your statement is rather bold. i am willing to bet that u wouldnt take it to the bank. thats is great that u have had good experiences with fins and the slider. i have seen otherwise though.
the bottom line is its a great slider to learn on and goof around on and it ends there

(Message edited by westsidarider on November 20, 2005)
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       11-20-2005, 7:15 PM Reply   
jason, my point is simply that I learned on it with fins that were sharp enough to take a chunk out of my arm and head (both with stitches) and that the rave material seems to have held up, just not to muskrats. My second point was only that a patch costs fifty cents and takes about two minutes to apply, and we have put the thing back in the water fifteen minutes after patching with no problems.

As far as being educated on it, I just no that in three season of using it with fins I havent had a problem. Maybe others have.
Old     (wazzy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       11-24-2005, 9:11 PM Reply   
Mike Davis, how much to ship one to IL?
Old     (xesstar)      Join Date: Nov 2005       11-25-2005, 3:54 AM Reply   
We run a wakeboard comp in the UK and we brought a rave slider with sponsorship money it lasted 3 days!!! One of the local guys had a hyperlite parks with the alu fins and shredded a 2 foot long hole in it.
We patched it up but it was never the same again and drooped to one side! I think we were unlucky.
It was great practice whist it lasted as none of us had hit sliders before and helps with the confidence.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       11-25-2005, 7:06 AM Reply   
John, yikes.....

Maybe I stand corrected. Mine holds up to fins and abuse great, and the patches hold fine as well. Keep in mind I have over 25 patches, but they were from muskrat bites so all are small.

Did rave warranty the slider?
Old     (derrick_lenz)      Join Date: Feb 2003       11-26-2005, 5:19 PM Reply   
rave sliders suck. yes all floating sliders are hard to anchor but the raves are 20X harder. the pipes are SLOW as hell (slow as in sliding speed...this is not good). also, the pipes don't stay centered in my experiences. not to mention when your sliding on the rails it moves. you can build a sweet floating slider that's extremely safe if you take the time to do it. overall, not worth the money. you will be kicking yourself in the ass if you buy one.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       11-26-2005, 5:22 PM Reply   
derrick, everything you just mentioned is due to improper setup. I never once set mine up properly until my second season with it.

Personally, I wouldnt want to learn a 270 on to anything but a rave slider.
Old     (derrick_lenz)      Join Date: Feb 2003       11-26-2005, 9:55 PM Reply   
maybe i was unclear on one of the issues.

the fact that the slider isn't bouyant enough to support someone, makes it sink slightly as you slide across it. this is not a setup problem it's just the aspect of quality you give up for saftey. also the pipes are extremly slow. anyone who has slid a rave and then another "regular" slider would agree. maybe this doesn't bother you but everyone i know prefers regular pvc. i don't know what type of pvc/platic they use but it sucks. as far as the rail not moving. It's not permanatly attached to the floatation. now i might be wrong on this but isn't it just a couple of staps that held the pipes to the floatation? it's been a couple of years so i can't say for sure. all i know is that wee used it a ton and it was always in need of an adjustment after using it.

and personally, if i was scared of getting wrecked trying a 270 on i wouldn't try them. either that or just hit the end of the flatbar so if you mess up you get pulled into the water and not the rail.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       11-26-2005, 10:58 PM Reply   
pvc is pvc. Sand the joints good and it will slide the same as any pvc slider will, yes, not as fast as trex or the "box" material the cable parks move (forget the name?).

Yes, a few straps hold it, but the way you inflate it and strap it can make a HUGE difference in the way the pipes stay attached (strap them tight prior to "full" inflation, and they will move.) Adjustments in this aspect are made in a matter of seconds, not minutes.

Also, the proper way of placement of the rave is absolutely crucial (proper bungee length in relative terms to the non stretch rope length etc)

I could write for days on this, but to keep it short, the first season I used it the rave moved a lot and had the same types of issues you describe. After learning the proper way to use the rave, I never had these issues. When anchored and setup properly the rave doesnt move at all, with the exception of having "give" when you crash.

Yes I have outgrown it, and no, I am not yet bored with using it.
Old     (breakz77)      Join Date: Mar 2003       11-27-2005, 6:17 PM Reply   
Sorry everyone I haven't got back to you on which sliders I have yet. I need to peice them together to see which complete sliders I have. I do know for a fact that I have 1 complete table top. Once I get a chance between doing year end inventory and receiving the 06 line up I'll let you know.

Forrest I would have to figure out the weight but I would say off hand $50-$100 on shipping
Old     (wazzy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       11-29-2005, 8:24 PM Reply   
Mike D. Keep me informed if you have a full table, after inventory and everything. I may be interested in picking one up.

ThankSS

www.midwestwakefest.com
Old     (rorowake)      Join Date: Oct 2003       12-01-2005, 11:19 AM Reply   
Forrest- I've got a 70' Rave table top (3 pieces) that I would sell you for $750 plus shipping- whatever that would be. Been hit maybe 10-12 times total. It's practically new.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       12-01-2005, 2:54 PM Reply   
whoa....Ronnie, that is the two jumps and the table? They call that an 80 fter I believe, and thats a deal and a half! Forrest, get in touch with me on this, that thing retailed for 2400.
Old     (rorowake)      Join Date: Oct 2003       12-01-2005, 3:29 PM Reply   
Yea, that's the one. We just never use it. We got it for a contest and 2 or 3 people hit it. We set it up one other time.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       12-01-2005, 7:15 PM Reply   
Im interested, and broke for my upcoming move to cali. Springtime? sold.
Old     (rorowake)      Join Date: Oct 2003       12-02-2005, 6:50 AM Reply   
I'm sure it'll be here.
Old     (badzuki)      Join Date: Sep 2001       12-02-2005, 7:36 AM Reply   
The 30' rave slider at the Midwest wakefest 04 was sliced by a fin. I beleive it lasted for less then a day. I was pretty disappointed.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       12-02-2005, 2:53 PM Reply   
Hmm. Your not talking about my 30 foot rave slider that was at midwest wake fest 05 are you? Mine made it fine.
Old     (wazzy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       12-05-2005, 9:24 PM Reply   
yeah Murphy's rave lasted all weekend. Even Necrasson hit it.

Ronnie, do you have pics of that set up? The only one I am familiar w/ is murphy's.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       12-06-2005, 6:03 AM Reply   
haha, forrest....its WAY bigger. 3 ft high, 80 ft long. 25 slight up, 30 flat, 25 slight down.
Old     (badzuki)      Join Date: Sep 2001       12-06-2005, 10:14 AM Reply   
Nope not 05, stayed home enjoying my torn acl & lcl. It was 04, I believe the slider was Mark M's