Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 04, 2005

Old     (ddoubleu)      Join Date: Mar 2004       12-14-2004, 12:28 PM Reply   
i am gonna be in the area and wanted to know what people thought of the park and if its worth a 3 hour drive i have never ridden a cable but i want to try it.
Old    xtremebordgurl            12-14-2004, 1:01 PM Reply   
Where in FL are you going? Cause OWC is defenitly waaay batter and is only 2 and a half hrs from deerfield (if you take the turnpike, if you take 95... good luck). If you are going to be fairly close to ski rixen (the name of the cable in deerfield) then I would recomend checking it out as a chance to try out cable but if you're not then I wouldn't bother. It is a good cable and a lot of talent comes out of it but, it doesn't really compare to some of the better cables out there. Let me know your destination and I can give you a better idea of if its worth it or not.
Old    jositox27            12-14-2004, 1:16 PM Reply   
Umm I ride in Ski rixen a lot and I would say it is def worth the while to come out and ride. OWC is not "wayyyy better" like you say. Yeah owc has better obstacles but rixen has more talent. Its just a matter of what your used to riding. Dan I would say come out and ride at ski rixen usa. ill probbaly see you there.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       12-14-2004, 2:35 PM Reply   
Jose, While Rixen has some great people and super riders, but I'd like to know exactly what else it is that you like about the cable...

Is it the 3 lap limit? The shallow water? That half the obstacles are positioned at the far corner because there is nowhere else to put them because of the shallow water? The sharp rocks climbing out? The pine nuts that kill your feet on the long walk back? The slow saggy cable?

At O'dub there is no lap limit. There are two cables that keeps the lines short and the beginners on the other cable. The obstacles are spaced apart so that you can hit stuff more frequently. The slider cable is shorter so it's tighter and you don't just have to ride along waiting to get to something. The walk back is shorter and easier on the feet. And if it makes a difference, they run the cable at 20mph vs. 18mph at Rixen.

Other than that I guess they're about the same.
Old    jositox27            12-14-2004, 3:35 PM Reply   
Those are some good points John. The water is not nearly anywhere shallow at this time of year though. The sharp rocks climbing out, I agree with you its anoying but I guess everyone is used to it. OWC is a good place and I used to live in orlando thats how I know, but I just really hate it when someone comes out and completely bashes Ski Rixen like I felt Bess was doing. You have to remember Ski Rixen has had its better day its been standing for over 25 years.

PS- The 3 lap rule is almost never obeyed. The operators will ussually tell you last lap after about 5 lap.
Old    xtremebordgurl            12-14-2004, 5:33 PM Reply   
I'm not bashing Rixen, I think its a great place, but I don't think it is worth a 2 and a half hr drive, if they were within 30-45min drive then i would say DEFENITLY check it out but... where they say they have to drive 2 and a half hrs?? they prolly on vacation and don't have time to throw away. You have to figure they'd spend 5 hrs in the car and then get to rixen be forced to buy a whole day pass to make it worth the trip and I dunno, I mean rixen is good and if I could ride right now (still rehab'n, I know I'm a slacker) I'd be there everyday but I just don't think its worth 5 hrs in the car (2.5 hrs there and 2.5 hrs back). Thats also why I was curious as to where they were going cause it most likely is on the west coast for it to be a 2 and a half hour drive that or they are further south of miami which if they are on the east coast and north of deerfield then I was saying if they are going to spend 5 hrs in the car they should spend the day at OWC. That or maybe its not as far as they think it is. I'm sorry if I offended you, but I mean no harm to rixen, I mean there are a lot of awesome people there and everyone is super friendly, I mean absolutely no harm to rixen at all. Sorry for any confusion.
Old    jositox27            12-14-2004, 6:01 PM Reply   
Yeah its all good. I just felt like you were bashing it, and I love that place. But your right 5 hr drive to be at rixen one day is probably not worth it.

Ps- Bess I have seen some of your photography. Good Stuff
Old     (pcoak)      Join Date: Dec 2004       12-14-2004, 6:52 PM Reply   
Hey bess marine I go to BA when the snow leves we should go wakeboading.
Old    xtremebordgurl            12-14-2004, 9:53 PM Reply   
Jose, thanx and no worries, its easy to misinterpret things on a message board also I can see how you'd get that impression.

Patrick, I know I should prolly know this, but humor me, where is BA again? or what school is it? (I'm really bad with the names/abreviations of the schools). I'm def. up for riding once the snow is gone, I'm actually a little nervous about returning to the snow after spending a yr down here in sunny south fl, but its all good, I'm sure my blood will thicken back up.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       12-15-2004, 6:50 AM Reply   
Oh yeah, here's another good thing about O'dub... Six month passes are on sale for $300 right now.
Old    xtremebordgurl            12-15-2004, 10:56 AM Reply   
Is BA Bates College? Cause I don't think I am too far from there, I think an hr max, not quite sure tho, sad thing is I know FL better than my own home state.
Old     (pcoak)      Join Date: Dec 2004       12-21-2004, 1:24 PM Reply   
ITs Bridgton acadmey In north bridgton
Old     (ddoubleu)      Join Date: Mar 2004       12-22-2004, 12:09 PM Reply   
hey whats up i am gonna make the trip to rixen its gonna be a 2 hour drive at least but i gotta try it out ill be there tomorrow (thursday 23rd) if anybodys gonna be out there i ride an 04 balance with the trasits ill prob be in white trunks come say hey
later
Old    jositox27            12-22-2004, 3:22 PM Reply   
aight. see you there ;0
Old    xtremebordgurl            12-28-2004, 9:26 PM Reply   
dan where in FL are you going? cause a lot of times if you look on a map distances look further than they really are in FL, it may not be as long a drive as you think. Just a tip when you're looking for the park, look for Quiet Waters Park in deerfield beach, Ski Rixen is in the park and if you get lost the locals will know about Quiet Waters, they may not be familiar with Rixen. Also when you're looking for it look for the big white water tower that says "deerfield beach" it is litetally right across the street from there. Good luck with the drive, once you get there you'll have a blast for sure. Good luck and have fun!
Old    xtremebordgurl            12-28-2004, 9:29 PM Reply   
Dan Bridgeton is only 45 minutes from me, are you familiar with Sun Sports PLus? Its in Naples, Harry carries the best selection of wake stuff in the state. Also RG Johnson sports will sell wake gear for you on consignment which is pretty nice and they're really good guys over there as well. Keep in touch and we'll ride this summer for sure.