Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       11-19-2010, 10:19 AM Reply   
I have the old DVR set up to record anything with the word wakeboard in it. It caught an episode of Fuel's "New Pollution" this week. In the show they were at Freddie Waynes house riding, his dad built him a rooftop that is, I believe, the first of its kind. It completely submerges itself underwater when they are not using it. Super bad A$$. Anybody have access to the details of this build? I would love to build a rail like this at my house, it would be the perfect thing to stop the neighbors from complaining the DNR about my rails.

Here is a link to the New Pollution Episode.

Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       11-19-2010, 10:20 AM Reply   
The rail is at the 1:50 mark.
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       11-19-2010, 12:31 PM Reply   
I'm sorry but who was the interviewer? Shudder
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       11-19-2010, 12:34 PM Reply   
I know that guy is CRAZY annoying.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       11-19-2010, 6:20 PM Reply   
I remember seeing that a few months back. crazy, but great idea. has to cost some serious dough though.
the host is a bit annoying, but he is dealing with kids, so he needs to be a bit energetic to keep them involved.
Old     (deltawake)      Join Date: Sep 2004       11-19-2010, 8:02 PM Reply   
Freddy's Dad designed and built the whole thing. They are a very nice family, and I'm sure that he would give you the details of the build. Try friending Freddy on Facebook and ask him about it.
Old     (fullonsalesgrp)      Join Date: Jan 2004       11-20-2010, 9:08 AM Reply   
Freddy used to ride at my place in the summers when Gerry Nunn was doing his private clinic for us , GREAT family .
His Mom is the best, I will give her a call and see what she can do I know his Dad is crazy busy he is a pilot.
Nintz I am surprised you just learned about it, that thing has been around for awhile now, my only question would be what
kinda clearence do you need for unsuspecting boats on a joyride ?

ITCH
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       11-22-2010, 2:28 PM Reply   
Let me know what you guys find out that thing would be sick to build!
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       11-22-2010, 3:26 PM Reply   
that is 100% the sickest rail of all time. the one thing we always (well i always) get worried about is building a rail and having someone that we don't know who isn't ready to hit a rail like that hit it and get hurt. we built a pretty sweet rooftop 2 summers ago and made sure the ollie was high enough that it deterred most of the people away but there is still that risk, and when push comes to shove, you are the one who is getting sued and can lose everything. People don't realize the difference between hitting a rail on a boat/ski at 22-23mph vs hitting rails at the cable at 18. The rail comes at you much faster, you have to be mentally prepared of when you need to ollie and realize the consequences are 10x greater because we generally dont cover the sides with ply. I close lined our roof top landing me in the ER for a possibly ruptured spleen and it was just a flukey fall ts front boarding it, slipping off and hitting one of the wood posts. I still have a fear of backlipping on to trex style rails to this day (as dickey or proses can confirm) and it was because of that fall, when i used to be just as comfortable backlipping just a standard boardslide. I still am when it comes to anything made out of pvc sheeting because frankly the falls just aren't as bad, but the trex/wood combo rails can really put a hurting too ya.
Old     (garveyj)      Join Date: Sep 2009       11-23-2010, 11:41 AM Reply   
Andy - the prior lake ski team has something like this for their ski course. It is completely submerged until you put a key in the winch system and the course rises to the surface to be used and pulled down again when they are done using it. I bet you could ask them too and see if that gives you what you are looking for.
Old     (ClutchIndustries)      Join Date: Feb 2010       11-23-2010, 12:57 PM Reply   
I would speculate that there is a frame sitting on the bottom with vertical supports varied in size hinged one end to the to the bottom frame and top to the "Rail" section. Calculate a leverage ratio, in addition to anchor points/a track and pivot points/pulleys for your winch cable and you would be good to go. Would be even simpler for a flat rail. Excellent idea! Love the innovation!

-Ross
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       11-23-2010, 3:24 PM Reply   
I have seen the Slalom course ones in action before. Lots of PVC pipe involved and not very heavy duty. Good Idea though