Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 23, 2009

Old     (jackeh)      Join Date: May 2008       01-26-2009, 6:50 PM Reply   
i am looking for any reviews or thoughts on the boarding school.

i want to go this summer, but my parents want some reviews.

please give me your thoughts.
Old     (wake2wake_66)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-26-2009, 7:26 PM Reply   
Jack, I am in the same boat. I want to go and I don't want to go alone. My friends and i have to workout for football everyday during the summer. So I'm not sure it is an option for me.
Old     (jackeh)      Join Date: May 2008       01-26-2009, 7:32 PM Reply   
Justin, i'd love to see you there. there is no way you could take off 5 days??

do any of your friends wakeboard?

i think my biggest issue is that its $1700, but my parents will spot me.
Old     (gunnertom4593)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-26-2009, 7:33 PM Reply   
I'm along the same lines, I went to the wakeboard camp last year and dont know whether i wanna go back or try something new. I know i had a great time and if i do go back we should go the same week, group discount brother.
Old     (wake2wake_66)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-26-2009, 8:14 PM Reply   
Yea dude I got a bro that rides with me 99% of the time I ride. I think the coaches might let me off a few days. I heard your parents have to go, is that for real?
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-26-2009, 9:10 PM Reply   
GO!!! The Boarding School kicks ass! Shaun, Travis, Kyle, and the rest of the guys are top notch. A blast to hang with, and IMO, the best coaches in the biz. The wake is huge, and the accomodations are nice as well. The best part is whatever you ask for, it magically appears the next day.
Old     (lakemiltonwake08)      Join Date: Oct 2008       01-27-2009, 5:13 AM Reply   
The Boarding School is hands down the way to go. I just got back about 2 weeks ago and I highly recommend it. Riding right next to Shaun, and him doing huge raleys over top of you is sick.
Travis is an awesome guy, a good coach and you're guarantee'd to have an awesome time out with him in the boat.
Rattray is a great rider and he taught me alot also while I was out on the water.
Overall I had an a great time and came home with a whole new bag of tricks. I already miss being down there, And I'll definitely be returning next winter. It was well worth it.
Old     (jsquared)      Join Date: Oct 2008       01-27-2009, 6:55 AM Reply   
Everyone should attend the boarding school. It is by far the best camp in the wakeboard industry. Unlike other wakeboard camps the boarding school is eventful. Its not just get in the boat, ride, and return to the camp. Travis, Shaun,and Kyle make your short periods on the water an enjoyable experience. The coaching at the camp is incredible! You are for sure going to walk out of the camp with a whole new bag of tricks and a smile on your face. The unique coaching strategies of the guys makes learning tricks fun. The boarding school is a low pressure environment and you are free to learn and ride at your own pace. Not to mention you will be on the boat with the best in the business. Out of all the years i have ben riding at the boarding school i have acquired so many new tricks and had a blast doing so. Not one time have I heard a complaint on the guys at the boarding school, unless its about having o go home. To rap it up make sure you attend the boarding school and see what the fun is all about!
Old     (alliecat0223)      Join Date: Oct 2006       01-27-2009, 10:13 AM Reply   
I have been the past 2 spring breaks in a row and man my riding has gotten so much better. Plus you will have such a blast out on the water with the guys. There is days you might feel like taking 4 or 3 sets its up to you. You choose what you do. Plus you get to see Shaun and Kyle take sets almost every day. An the Bocce, Roxy and Logan are in the boat with you too. It was the best thing I spent my money on . I just miss not being able to go there this year. Plus if Bess is there she takes amazing pictures of everyone while they are riding.

John how are you doing ?? you going to be at the Ky pro stop this summer ??
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-27-2009, 10:39 AM Reply   
Jack,

I went this summer for a week and it was a great experience. Yes, 1700 is a lot of money, but you know the saying "you get what you pay for".

You get room and board...
You are in a nice house 200 feet away from a loaded X-star (with custom colors... love the gold flake travis!) sitting on the dock on a chain of 6 buttery lakes. You have internet access, guitars, indo-boards, unlimited wake mags, and almost every wakeboarding video ever made for your viewing pleasure. You get to eat whatever you want. You write down your list and the next morning shaun or travis arrive with it all. (so, no "camp" food. this is real food)

You get the "house of style" coaching you. Everything everyone says about Shaun being super cool and funny is true. He is a patient coach and you learn a lot.

You get pulled by the 'best wake in the industry' (in my opinion) by the "best driver in the industry" (in everyones opinion). Travis is a great coach as well.

6 buttery lakes to ride.

One surprise was that the wakecamp house is in a regular neighborhood. Its real quiet and chill at night, no "camp" style dorm rooms, no little campers running around everywhere.

It is worth the money.
Old     (wake2wake_66)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-27-2009, 11:27 AM Reply   
I'm almost 15 do my parents have to go with me if I go?
Old     (jackeh)      Join Date: May 2008       01-27-2009, 2:22 PM Reply   
no your parents don't have to go, my parents aren't. i just wanted to show them that people like it, so they will see that its a cool place. justin and tom, we could all go together maybe and get a group discount.

but i'm definitely going.
Old     (wake2wake_66)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-27-2009, 2:30 PM Reply   
I will check into it Jack, I have a really busy summer, and I want to go before July. When do you plan on going?
Old     (jackeh)      Join Date: May 2008       01-27-2009, 2:46 PM Reply   
my summer is open, whenever is good for you guys, i just need a few months notice.
Old     (gunnertom4593)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-27-2009, 2:51 PM Reply   
Yeah, let's look into it. The Boarding School is more expensive than the wakeboard camp (plus my returner discout) so I'm not sure which one I'll go to yet. If you can tell me how much it will be with the group discount I'm sure it can be arranged. The only problem is my parents said I have to get 5 A's in school to be able to go, so i won't know whether I can go or not until may....
Old     (gti2lo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       01-27-2009, 3:05 PM Reply   
Can't say enough about the camp... going back in 3 weeks....

This time I am bringing some friends that need to learn... Boardingg school teaches all levels and gives the righ foundations!

Also pretty cool bunch of guys! Def a laid back atmosphere in the evenings... video games, internet surfing, maybe go into town for some grub and drinks...
Old     (jackeh)      Join Date: May 2008       01-27-2009, 3:16 PM Reply   
tom tom tom, 5 A's??? thats a lot. hahaha how many classes do you have?

i usually get 4 A's and 3 B's.

the wakeboard camp is my second choice. can you tell me more about it..
Old     (gunnertom4593)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-27-2009, 3:32 PM Reply   
Well I haven't been to the boarding school so I can't really compare but the wakeboard camp is awesome, and I think around 200 or 300 dollars cheaper.
They are both equal value for money though because the living conditions are a little rougher. Its more of a cabin setup than a house, but most of your time will be spend hanging out with the coaches and other guys in the loft or on the trampoline learning loads of new stuff, so all you do is sleep in your room really.
Wake up in the morning at 8:30, eat a delicious breakfast cooked by one of the lovely lady coaches or bob haha. Then go out and take 2 30-40 minute sets behind your choice of a Malibu VLX, VTX, or Vride, all of which are great for learning. Then come in for lunch and another meal will be waiting for you. Hang for an hour or two like before, then go back out for another 2 sets. Thursdays are spent at OWC.
I think you get a little more riding in at the wakeboard camp, but the accomodations arent as nice. So it's a pretty even trade off.
I think the coaches at both camps are just as good, at the wakeboard camp I met loads of cool coaches from down under, plus benny g and amber wing. And it is not unusual for Lyman and Aaron reed to hang out with us for a day or two.

I'm kind of rambling on a bit but I wanted to be thorough haha. Its a great time with great people.
Anything i didnt cover?
Old     (jackeh)      Join Date: May 2008       01-27-2009, 4:10 PM Reply   
thanks tom, that sounds good. do you know if they have a group discount? i'm interested in that camp as well.

would you consider going there again tom?
Old     (gunnertom4593)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-27-2009, 4:20 PM Reply   
Yeah they definitely have a group discount, i think if you bring one friend both get 50 off, then if you bring 2 everyone gets 100 off. I will for sure wanna go there again, plus i get the returner discount...
Old     (wake2wake_66)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-27-2009, 4:43 PM Reply   
I will talk to my parents about it tonight. It definatley sounds fun though. I am diabetic like hardcore and my mom is super worried about it so I have to try to take care of it until then.
Old     (jackeh)      Join Date: May 2008       01-27-2009, 4:47 PM Reply   
tom i think we should go! justin you should come to.

the wakeboard camp is sounding better and better, i think if the 3 of us signed up for the same week it would be badass, not to mention a really good deal.
Old     (gunnertom4593)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-27-2009, 5:00 PM Reply   
Yeah I'm still in contact with some of the coaches there so if you need any more info let me know and ill get it from them. How good are you guys? like what would you want to get down that week?
Old     (toesideturtle)      Join Date: Oct 2002       01-27-2009, 5:57 PM Reply   
I've been to both several times. The Boarding School is hands down way better!!! You get better coaching, a more relaxed environment, much nicer accommodations and great food! You will get the opportunity to ride more than your body can handle. Travis, Shaun, Kyle and Robbie truly care about your individual progression. They were just as stoked for me when I landed my first toeside wake to wake as when I landed an invert or spin. This will be my 4th year attending. You do get what you pay for.
Old     (gunnertom4593)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-27-2009, 6:13 PM Reply   
Thanks chuck! good to get a perspective from someone who went to both. I'll check out the boarding school for sure!
Old     (jackeh)      Join Date: May 2008       01-27-2009, 6:19 PM Reply   
i'm looking into both, for me its which ever one is a better deal.

thanks everyone.
Old     (lakemiltonwake08)      Join Date: Oct 2008       01-27-2009, 7:48 PM Reply   
Only go to the Boarding School if you want your gut to hurt.. From laughing all day.
Old     (wake2wake_66)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-27-2009, 8:04 PM Reply   
Tom, I am going to Orlando for a week in about a month and yall should try to hit OWC up then. Jack, which camp did you decide on?
Old     (gunnertom4593)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-28-2009, 12:18 PM Reply   
Yeah Justin I'm in, let me know when you're going and I should be able to make it over there for the day. OWC is sick
Old     (wake2wake_66)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-28-2009, 2:24 PM Reply   
I think i will be there around the 10th of March. I will tell you when I know for sure. I live in a tiny town and have never hit a slider or ridden cable, and i don't want to look like an idiot.
Old     (jackeh)      Join Date: May 2008       01-28-2009, 2:25 PM Reply   
i'm looking into both, for me it just depends on what you guys want.

if we got that discount that would be sick.

you guys just let me know.
Old     (gunnertom4593)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-28-2009, 3:00 PM Reply   
Cable is awesome, and most people there are friendly enough and respect beginners getting out there and giving it a shot. I was like that when i first went and I'm still pretty much a beginner, I just like to get out there and have a good time!
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-28-2009, 10:08 PM Reply   
I was there in Dec and it was the most awesome 2 days. Shaun and Travis are fun, great coaches, and their passion for riding, their campers and the wakeboard industry is above reproach. They are so down to earth.....I had a blast. It rained the day I rode with Travis and he made it such a fun day....and we even had butter in the rain. You will never regret going there. I am going back in April and bringing my son. It is well worth the cost.