Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (river_bum)      Join Date: Dec 2008       08-24-2014, 5:34 PM Reply   
I recently sold my 01 MobiusV and looking to upgrade to a used Malibu Wakesetter years 2005 - 2008 (V25 hull). I have been on a few of them and absolutely love the Malibus. I would like some input from people that have experience with the 05-08 wakesetters just so I can make sure I am ok with a possible purchase. If anyone could answer some of the questions below or provide some overall reviews of the boat I would appreciate it. Thanks!

-Is wake good for both boarding and surfing?
-How much ballast comes stock and should you add additional ballast?
-Wedge down or up? I have heard a lot of people don't use them much.
-Does the bow hop at slower speeds? My buddy's sunsetter hopped sometimes when towing. My MobiusV could control the hopping with the wake plate in back which came in very handy.
-Do they come stock with a cooler?
-Any electrical issues?
-How do they handle in rough water?

That is all I can think of for now.
Old     (domstrauss)      Join Date: Jul 2014       08-24-2014, 6:05 PM Reply   
I had a 2007 VLX for almost five years and it was a fantastic boat.

To answer some of your questions.

The wakeboarding wake is very good. the surf wake is nothing special and you usually have to add quite a bit of weight in order to get a nice surf wake.

Stock i believe they come with 900 pounds of ballast but then you can also get an optional fourth hard tank in the front of the boat which puts it around 1300 pounds. for surfing you definitely need to add additional weight. especially if you dont have many people in the boat. as for wakeboaring it will throw a very nice wake stock but the boat responds very well to adding more weight to it.

I always rode with the wedge down. it will make the wake bigger, gives it a lot more shape and it gives the wake very good pop.

the wedge does the exact opposite of the wake plate and it will actually pull the back of the boat down causing the bow to bounce. so usually if your riding with the wedge you want to put weight in the bow (thats where the additional fourth hard tank comes in handy)

Yes the boat comes with a stock cooler behind the drivers seat/

Never had any electrical issues with it.

I cant say it handles rough water all that great but its definitely nothing to complain about. it does just fine.
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-24-2014, 6:15 PM Reply   
can't speak on surf wave, but the wakeboarding wake is PHENOMENAL, one of my favorites. (rode it with about 3500 lbs and no wedge, but it is a really easy wake to make big and good with or without wedge)

find one with the bow tank, that will give you 1250-1300 total i think.

I am not a wedge guy, but since you are coming from an old moomba, you will most likely prefer the wedge down….

porpoising - this happens when boat is weighted incorrectly, too much rear weight. TAPS and wake plates allow you to correct this ballasting error…but not on a malibu, just weight it evenly front to back and you will be solid.

i don't know

i don't know

not excellently, but not terribly either. Malibus in general are flatter hulls which give them great wakes and handling (turning) but they do not do as well in super choppy water as some other manufacturers.

also look into 2009 and newer malibu vride 21's. Same boat, just no option for bow tank. (you can always add it though)
Old     (T_A)      Join Date: Feb 2013       08-24-2014, 6:44 PM Reply   
Absolutely love my '05 vlx and there is no boat in the same year range I'd rather have...
Old     (rznhales)      Join Date: May 2012       08-24-2014, 6:47 PM Reply   
Vrides are the older hull design so for choppy water I'd stay away

I believe it's the newer hull in the '07-up. So much better choppy ride
Some are having switch and digital display issues with the '07-09's
Space behind driver for soft sided cooler but not built in cooler per se
'06 were known for having dampner plate issue so I'd stay away from that year unless the PO had it changed
Great wakeboard boat, ok surf boat and definitely want added ballast. Most are adding 1100lb sacks in the back plus bow weight to get decent surf wave.

Hit up www.themalibucrew and search on it. There's TONS of info on there. It's a very active and friendly site.
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-24-2014, 6:58 PM Reply   
v25 hull is the VLX from 2005-2008

v25 hull is the Vride 21 from 2009 and up.
Old     (T_A)      Join Date: Feb 2013       08-24-2014, 6:59 PM Reply   
OP is right 05-08 are all exact same hulls...there are some differences like floating/power wedge coming out, LCD display, drive by wire and the damper plate issue. I agree that had I known I would've stayed away from 05 for the damper plate thing but mine has been flawless since I bought it 3 years ago. I couldn't ask for more from a boat as far as reliability goes. My advice would be 07-08 if within ur budget, otherwise 05-06 are great as well. I think 07 got the upgraded damper plate, LCD display, and floating wedge(if you don't get power wedge).
Old     (greg2)      Join Date: May 2002       08-24-2014, 7:48 PM Reply   
I've got an 09 V-ride, same hull as the 05-08 VLX. I don't surf much, but the surf wave is OK with additional weight. Boarding wake is great and it is a proven hull. Mine does have a bow ballast hard tank and the 3 under floor tanks. It's very reliable and runs great with just over 400 hours on it now.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-24-2014, 8:28 PM Reply   
Pretty sure the first 2 responses were spot on. As for years i am pretty sure the lsv was the same hull from 04-07. Then the ride 23 is the same hull and made from either 08 or 09 to current.
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-25-2014, 6:07 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by river_bum View Post
I recently sold my 01 MobiusV and looking to upgrade to a used Malibu Wakesetter years 2005 - 2008 (V25 hull). I have been on a few of them and absolutely love the Malibus. I would like some input from people that have experience with the 05-08 wakesetters just so I can make sure I am ok with a possible purchase. If anyone could answer some of the questions below or provide some overall reviews of the boat I would appreciate it. Thanks!

-Is wake good for both boarding and surfing?
-How much ballast comes stock and should you add additional ballast?
-Wedge down or up? I have heard a lot of people don't use them much.
-Does the bow hop at slower speeds? My buddy's sunsetter hopped sometimes when towing. My MobiusV could control the hopping with the wake plate in back which came in very handy.
-Do they come stock with a cooler?
-Any electrical issues?
-How do they handle in rough water?

That is all I can think of for now.
-For boarding yes, can't speak for surfing
-if it only has the 3 stock tank, no bow tank, you will want to run a 400 up in the bow, makes a world of difference
-wedge down, not all the way, play around with it... a couple clicks up or down can all the difference. I think the pattern is that the people who dont use the wedge or says it "doesn't work" are the folks who are running major ballast. I notice a huge difference when adjusting it, then again, I normally just run the stock set-up.
- If you adjust the wedge a certain way and the boat isn't weighted well in the front, it will porpoise... not really a boat issue. more of a ballast issue.
- does have a cooler, i use mine for empties
- Zero, mine is flawless
- I have taken mine for some decent river trips... not your typical rough water as in lake type-chop, you just have to be aware, I think it did fine. I will say, when your dealing with medium sized chop (not huge rollers from river boats) I do miss having the trim tab that my tige had. Is it a deal breaker.. no.. just an observation.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-25-2014, 6:59 AM Reply   
I am not sure where I thought you were talking about the LSV so just ignore my portion about 04-07.
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-25-2014, 7:03 AM Reply   
Decent deal on one in the mid-west...

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/da...624709372.html
Old     (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-26-2014, 1:18 PM Reply   
2006 for $31k
http://www.boattrader.com/listing/20...-VLX-102306685