Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (alcarlaw1)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-01-2014, 5:45 AM Reply   
Reading the thread on the guy with the new Axis, it got me thinking. Who makes their kids wear lifejackets and who leads by example?

I grew up on sailing yachts, wearing a lifejacket on the boat was simply non negotiable. I then moved onto racing dinghies, when racing you must wear a lifejacket and TBH at any other time, you wear one too. Forward wind a few years, we have a 5 year old and 2 year old that we take out on our old Xstar (my dad always poked fun at me for not having a proper boat, i.e. with sails) The boys wear lifejackets all the time, there is always one adult per child on the boat too. I recently bought my wife and I self inflating lifejackets to help set an example and plan to wear them. To me it's common sense, yes it can be a hassle, not cool, etc but I see it as par for the course, if you are on the water you wear a lifejacket.

I windsurf too, and no I don't wear a lifejacket, to a degree hypocritical, but you quite simply you can't wear one. But on a boat, there is nothing stopping you from wearing one.
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       05-01-2014, 5:47 AM Reply   
I always wear a CGA life jacket. 95% of the time my riders wear one also. I let it slip once for one pull on wakesurfing.
Old     (cedarcreek216V)      Join Date: Aug 2011       05-01-2014, 5:49 AM Reply   
In Texas and child under 12 I believe has to be in one while the boat is in motion. So ours both stay in one. My wife and I keep ours on after a set until we feel we have our legs back under us and we have gained our strength back.
Old     (Froggy)      Join Date: Nov 2013       05-01-2014, 6:13 AM Reply   
14 and under in Georgia . There has been talk about making in the same for all ages. I hope not?
Old     (newwhit)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-01-2014, 6:16 AM Reply   
14 and under wear vests ALL THE TIME on my families boats. I usually keep mine on so the kids dont complain too much...
Old     (Ewok01)      Join Date: Apr 2013       05-01-2014, 6:19 AM Reply   
I have 3 kids, 5, 3 and 8 months and they all wear life vests since they were babies. I don't wear a vest unless I'm riding or surfing. In WA and ID, kids must be in a life jacket in boats less than 19'. However, there are additional rules for the county you may be in, for me in Spokane County there is no vessel length stipulation, here is what the county says:

- No person may operate or permit to be operated a vessel underway, unless each person twelve years of age or younger thereon is wearing a personal flotation device.
- All persons regardless of age shall wear a personal flotation device while on moving water.

That moving water part obviously means on a river, which we have lots of big ones around here. Just make sure you read all the state, county and specific rules for the body of water you plan to be on.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-01-2014, 6:22 AM Reply   
Are u asking Who wears a jacket while in the boat?? adults?

If your asking Who wears a jacket while behind the boat, the answer SHOULD BE Every single person if you NOT then IMO your foolish and your playing Russian Roulette
Old     (petrie141)      Join Date: Jun 2012       05-01-2014, 6:31 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cedarcreek216V View Post
In Texas and child under 12 I believe has to be in one while the boat is in motion. So ours both stay in one. My wife and I keep ours on after a set until we feel we have our legs back under us and we have gained our strength back.
Technically 12 and under in Texas

"All children under 13 years of age in or on vessels under 26 feet in length must wear a U.S. Coast Guard approved wearable PFD while underway. Underway means not at anchor, made fast to the shore, or aground."

For kids, all of the swimming lessons and all of the "safe" hours on the boat without a life jacket mean nothing on that one day someone goes overboard at speed. It's best just to put one on him.

Last edited by petrie141; 05-01-2014 at 6:36 AM.
Old     (williamburell)      Join Date: Sep 2011       05-01-2014, 6:33 AM Reply   
My 7 and 8 year old wear vests from the minute we get out of the car. Its non negotiable. They know they aren't making it 1 step on the dock without one or we are going home. No one wears a non cga vest on my boat to ride. If I want to wear a non cga thats fine but its only when skating or surfing. Otherwise its more risk on me and them. Maybe a stupid rule but I don't need someone drowning behind my boat because they needed a cool vest.
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       05-01-2014, 6:37 AM Reply   
In the boat I never wear one. I don't have any kids on my boat so no one else wears one either.
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       05-01-2014, 6:47 AM Reply   
Behind the boat everyone wears one no exceptions. In the boat laws states under 13 must have one. I don't make the older teens wear theirs unless conditions get rough, just in case. In the coves, I like to wear mine & just float around
Old     (williamburell)      Join Date: Sep 2011       05-01-2014, 6:52 AM Reply   
If you don't have one on upside down while floating you are drinking wrong
Old     (stuntmonkey)      Join Date: Feb 2009       05-01-2014, 6:59 AM Reply   
Kids under 12 at all times. I don't really wear mine in the boat unless its super busy on the lake and even then I don't actually like being on the water.

Everybody wears one behind the boat, and no wakeboarding in comp vests.
Old     (whiteflashwatersports1)      Join Date: Dec 2012       05-01-2014, 7:02 AM Reply   
Behind the boat everyone wears a CGA no exceptions. Anyone 12 and under wears one in the boat no exceptions. When we go in intracoastal if you hit the water even to swim your wearing one no exceptions. Very strong currents. In the lake we swim without them depending on conditions.
Old     (james)      Join Date: Feb 2010       05-01-2014, 7:16 AM Reply   
I have 3 young kids and lots of nieces and nephews on the boat so as adults we all wear lifejackets to set the example. We actually have it as a rule on the boat that everyone must wear there jacket. We may not look cool but the safety of my family is more important to me.
Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       05-01-2014, 8:13 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamburell View Post
If you don't have one on upside down while floating you are drinking wrong

^^^ This!
Old     (DealsGapCobra)      Join Date: May 2010       05-01-2014, 8:20 AM Reply   
Behind the boat EVERYONE wears one, every time. In the boat, in past years, only my youngest daughter and young friends (who are required by law). This will be the first year the my daughter is old enough to not have that requirement...to celebrate, we bought her a new vest. (Which she will only be expected to wear in the water)
Old     (seth)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-01-2014, 8:22 AM Reply   
Can you guys point me in the direction of a good infant vest? I have a 5 month old and the life jacket we got is not good.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       05-01-2014, 8:52 AM Reply   
Shred, there are some sling type vests for infants which are really good. WalMart sells them in the USA and there are others out there. They have a sort of mesh that goes around the back. We used to keep our little ones in their PFD and set into the car seat for comfort but not strapped in.
Old     (MICAH_HARPER)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-01-2014, 8:53 AM Reply   
i wear a comp vest and that works great for me when surfing and wakeboarding And when i have my wetsuit on i wear just that on wakesurfing only. I always wear a comp vest when wakeboarding.

Whats the law in Texas as far as skiing wakeboarding wakesurfing ect.... with out a vest. I know that in the past it was not required by law to wear one. Has that changed. I have looked for it but i guess not in the right place
Old     (doubleup16)      Join Date: Sep 2007       05-01-2014, 8:58 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by seth View Post
Can you guys point me in the direction of a good infant vest? I have a 5 month old and the life jacket we got is not good.
We got this one http://www.amazon.com/ONeill-USCG-ny...nt+life+jacket for our now 1 yr old. She didn't mind wearing it like she has others in the past.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-01-2014, 9:10 AM Reply   
Behind the boat yes. In the boat no. All kids must wear life jackets at all times.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-01-2014, 9:29 AM Reply   
Everyone behind the boat, and all kids under 13. Kids have to have them on before they step foot on the dock
Old     (yubasanger)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-01-2014, 9:32 AM Reply   
I have a Hyperlite one like above and the boys prefer it to the neoprene body glove one we have. Both of my boys have out grown them but we keep them in boat so if friends with little ones come out with us they don't have to buy one for the couple of times they use them. My boys know if they are in the boat they have their vests on. I don't wear mine in the boat. I have never had a problem with children not wanting to wear them just because the adults don't have them on. Explain that there is an age limit to lots of things driving, voting, drinking and most importantly not having to wear a vest in my boat. Only exception to the rule is if we are anchored and one of the boys falls asleep we take them off because they get to hot... but someone is in the boat with them if they have their vest off.
Attached Images

Old     (madcityskier)      Join Date: Jun 2012       05-01-2014, 11:46 AM Reply   
Rare exceptions for adults who are VERY strong swimmers and dogs. Otherwise all passengers in vests at all times. Yes they're hot, and they can be less comfortable. Get a better vest, or jump in and cool off. THEY SAVE LIVES. Others are free to do as they wish. I might be a little less strict in a larger boat where passengers sit down in more and it rides smoother. In my 85 MasterCraft however, a vest is the rule. We also generally don't take our adult beverages out with us. (Again, there are rare exceptions.)
Old     (Cabledog)      Join Date: Dec 2013       05-01-2014, 1:09 PM Reply   
Behind the boat everyone - non negociable, in boat only kids 13 and under or non swimmers (business clients / some of the wifes friends) and the occasional drunk that is "that guy" on a big weekend. Funny I never met a non-swimmer in my entire life until I moved to WA. Suprising that there are so many up here when there is water everywhere.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-01-2014, 1:24 PM Reply   
Florida law is 6 years old and younger in vessels < 26'
My boat is kids under 8 at all times and any one under 18 wears a helmet while riding. I have four, pick one and shut up.
Old     (cedarcreek216V)      Join Date: Aug 2011       05-01-2014, 2:13 PM Reply   
Quote:

I posted a link in another thread in here regarding this. By far the best we found that is easy to handle the kid in and ours both loved is the yellow and blue one from REI.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-01-2014, 2:40 PM Reply   
I ski private lakes a lot and the laws do not apply there...you folks need to realize that ages and boat length are kind of arbitrary. Common sense rules on the private lakes.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       05-01-2014, 2:53 PM Reply   
For us all the kids wear lifejackets..always. I know have 2 that are above age that its required, but they don't know any different and still wear them. My wife wears hers a lot because she is not a strong swimmer. I don't dictate to adults, but kids its mandatory. Here it is anyone 12 and under and the fines are pretty steep. Like some have said things happen quickly and even kids that are good swimmer can drown quickly. My kids are all strong swimmers and have been in the water their whole lives. My older 2 swim better than 75% of the adults out there and they still wear them and will continue to.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       05-01-2014, 5:35 PM Reply   
If someone had a rule that I had to wear a lifejacket inside the confines of the boat, I wouldn't go.
Old     (Ewok01)      Join Date: Apr 2013       05-01-2014, 8:20 PM Reply   
Quote:
I have two of these for my infants. One for my kid and an extra because my friends have kids the same ages as mine. I actually keep lots of kids life jackets handy.

http://www.iboats.com/Infant-Blue-Gr...iew_id.1145674

Old     (burban89)      Join Date: Nov 2006       05-02-2014, 4:27 AM Reply   
Wow I have not read the SC law in a long time but it seems it is more relaxed than I remember. No matter what the law says all kids wear life jackets in my boat. Behind the boat we do as well. According to the law it seems to mean kids in a bigger boat do not have to wear a life jacket??

All vessels must have at least one Type I, II, III, or V personal flotation device (life jacket) that is U.S. Coast Guard–approved, wearable, and of the proper size for each person on board or being towed. Sizing for PFDs is based on body weight and chest size.

South Carolina law requires all children under 12 years of age to wear a U.S. Coast Guard–approved Type I, II, III, or V PFD while on board a Class A (less than 16 feet long) vessel. The life jacket must be fastened and of the proper size for the child.
Old     (MICAH_HARPER)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-05-2014, 9:28 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wake77 View Post
If someone had a rule that I had to wear a lifejacket inside the confines of the boat, I wouldn't go.
agree....a bit overkill
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       05-05-2014, 3:37 PM Reply   
My son is 3 years old and he wears a life jacket 100% of the time when we're on the boat. He will continue to do so until he is legally not required to, which is 12 here in Washington if your boat is under 19 feet. He will wear one even when we are on a larger boat. He will have the same rules I had when I was growing up on the water.

-Under 12, need a life jacket at all times.
-Teenagers and adults can wear one if they want.
-Everyone except adults needs a life jacket to get in the water.
-Everyone getting towed wears a life jacket. No exceptions.
-If the captain tells you, you need to put on a life jacket, it's for a good reason (weather, bad chop, etc.) you put it on, no questions.

Me I only wear one if I'm getting in the water, unless it's something that isn't practical, like undoing a rope tangled in the prop. Otherwise I won't wear one unless the conditions warrant it.
Old     (kimper)      Join Date: May 2008       05-07-2014, 6:32 AM Reply   
I wear a life jacket and a helmet pretty much all the time - on or off the boat. You cannot be TOO safe! I mean water hazards are everywhere! For instance, driving in the car, have you ever noticed how many ditches have water in them? If there is an accident and I wind up in that ditch - Who's gonna float!? That's right bitch - Me! Because I am in my CGA life vest. Don't even get me started on swimming pools or mall fountains (aka water death traps for the unprepared)
I don't have children yet.. For some reason I have a hard time with the fairer sex..
But rest assured when I do have offspring they will be in their CGA vests and helmets 24/7. If I let them on the boat at all I will likely need to devise a full body suit for complete protection.. Maybe something that integrates with the helmet.. I don't know still thinking that out.

Also, someone mentioned alcohol on the boat. I tell you, I might rarely enjoy an adult beverage, but never within a 30 mile radius of a body of water. In fact, I highly recommend dialysis before boating just to be double sure there is no residual blood alcohol from prior consumption in previous days.

Stay safe out there fellas!
Old     (stuntmonkey)      Join Date: Feb 2009       05-07-2014, 9:34 AM Reply   
2/10 try again sunshine.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       05-07-2014, 11:10 AM Reply   
A lot of you have probably seen this before, but it seems like relevant satire to the discussion after the last post by helmet boy.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-07-2014, 8:07 PM Reply   
Google the name of the body of water you frequent plus drowning then read all article amd tally the victims by lifejacket ON and lifejacket OFF the reality will then come clear.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       05-07-2014, 8:27 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bftskir View Post
Google the name of the body of water you frequent plus drowning then read all article amd tally the victims by lifejacket ON and lifejacket OFF the reality will then come clear.
What reality? That people drown? Do you wear a CGA pfd under your barefoot suit?
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-07-2014, 9:20 PM Reply   
That people drown all the time when they are not wearing life jackets or some type of floatation. Barefoot suits provide more floatation than cga vests.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-10-2014, 6:41 PM Reply   
We just lost 3 today in Folsom Lake they just called off the search...no lifejackets.
Old     (fuzzball147)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-11-2014, 6:58 AM Reply   
In Illinois all kids must wear a life jacket. In my boat, if you want to ride, you'll wear a life jacket. Period. Don't think it's cool? Buy your own boat...
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-11-2014, 3:42 PM Reply   
Correction they are trying to recover 4 off the bottom of Folsom Lake...unfamiliar with a new boat...capsized it.