Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (jward10)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-02-2014, 7:25 AM Reply   
Hey peeps. I have a 3.5 yr old that is dying for his own wakeboard. It might be because he is around the sport nonstop, from weekday rides to tournaments. I was going to wait until he got a little older but I'm not sure he will let me wait much longer. I have been teaching him how to get up and ride by putting him in my wife's board with the bindings all the way in. We have a long strip of carpet in our shop. I have him lay down and using a handle I pull him up and he turns to a normal riding position and I pull him across the shop. We are now letting him feel the pull of the boat at idle and he can almost stand up on his own.
I'm still thinking it's too early but I think I would like to go ahead and get him a set up. He has a brother due this fall so It will be put to good use over the next several years.

So who makes the smallest board and smallest bindings, or should I get something a little big for him to grow in to?

Thanks
Old     (chrislandy)      Join Date: Mar 2014       07-02-2014, 7:37 AM Reply   
I have a similar dilemma with mine, my local place won't let under 5's ski and under 6's wakeboard as their bones and joints aren't strong enough/still developing. but they will let you go on a ski trainer where the rope is attached to the ski's, tube and disc (essentially a 4ft diameter bit of plywood you can) I learnt on a disc in about '86 with my dad and used to go 2's up on it, standing on chairs on the disc, 360's etc.

Whereas my mate is buddys with a local cable park and they take their kid (3 1/2 yr) holding on between their legs around the park when it's quiet
Old     (biggator)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-02-2014, 7:55 AM Reply   
My daughter's LF board is a 111... I think that's the smallest they make.

The current model is the Fury, which goes down to 111
http://www.liquidforce.com/wakeboards-fury.html
Old     (wazzy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       07-02-2014, 9:58 AM Reply   
Hyperlite used to make a 109cm, but from what I understand it has been discontinued. I searched for awhile, but finally settled on a LF 111cm for my daughter (who is only 2). I am having to modify the binding plates to get the stance close enough for her though. (if you check e-bay & craigslist you might be able to locate a 109)

My other thought was to buy a wakeskate (a 39" wakeskate = 99.06cm) & just drill holes for mounting bindings. I get that a wakeskate is NOT a wakeboard & such, but at this age, just finding the smallest thing possible is key.

Not sure the deal with the wake industry, because I can get snowboards down to 80cm (she has been snowboarding since 18months).
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       07-02-2014, 12:32 PM Reply   
The smallest LF is a great board for kids. Both my kids started on the 111 and my son who is 6 and pretty small is still ripping on it.
Old     (jward10)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-02-2014, 8:17 PM Reply   
Thanks guys. Headed to Terminus Wake Park tomorrow. I'm going to let him try out the 2.0 and see what happens. I told him if he got up I would buy him his own board. Fingers crossed.
Old     (biggator)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-03-2014, 2:12 PM Reply   
You in the Atlanta area?
Old     (jward10)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-03-2014, 9:19 PM Reply   
I'm in Alabama, where we ride boat mostly, but we get over to Terminus in GA to hit the cable now and again. Oh by the way...he got up!!! So now I have to hold up my end of the deal and get him a board.
Attached Images

Old     (chrislandy)      Join Date: Mar 2014       07-04-2014, 1:05 AM Reply   
Well done!! I must talk to my cable park now and try to persuade them to let mine go out on the 2.0!
Old     (jward10)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-04-2014, 6:48 AM Reply   
The driver did awesome. If he saw him about to fall he would stop the cable so he would simply sink back down into the water. He never had to let go of the handle.
Old     (jward10)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-12-2014, 7:35 PM Reply   
Well I made good on the deal and we went with a Ronix Vision 119. He loves it! I pulled him countless times the length of the rope up to the shoreline....then we went back and rode cable again. He rode a few sets...then he started riding boat. We went back out today. Here is a quick video of one of his sets. Can't believe my 3 year old is wakeboarding already!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXfQ...ature=youtu.be