Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Spence680)      Join Date: Apr 2014       09-04-2014, 10:57 PM Reply   
I just started trying these a couple days ago. I am getting pulled over the front of my board once I come out of the spin. Am I throwing the trick to early? Do I need to suck my knees up to my chest as hard as I can? Just really not sure what I need to do.

Old     (seth)      Join Date: Sep 2002       09-04-2014, 11:09 PM Reply   
If your getting pulled over the front then you are probably letting your arm get pulled away from your body.
Old     (Spence680)      Join Date: Apr 2014       09-04-2014, 11:13 PM Reply   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPsjq1Dmq3w
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       09-05-2014, 7:09 AM Reply   
You have a couple of things that are working against you here.

First your hand that is on the t-bar or Helper handle is out way to far, you need to have that elbow locked in at your hip, creating an "L" shape, this will also help keep your hips in line. I think this is actually 80% of the reason you are getting tugged out the front. Look ad a video of Randall coming in wrapped, his body is low, his butt is out, and his elbow is locked to his hip.

The second thing I see is that your letting the rope spin you off the wake, even tho your wrapped up you still have to pull the handle like you would if you were doing a handle pass BS 360. To most people who are learning wrapped spins they think that you wrap, hit the wake and just let go of the helper handle and you spin, but there is a lot more to it than that. When spinning wrapped your body still needs to be in the same position(s) that it would be if you were doing a handle pass. This will also force you to rotate in the air and not off the wake. In a handle pass spins you, Pop, pull, pass. In a wrapped spin its basically the same thing, but you, Pop, Pull, let go and grab. What you are truly gaining in wrapped spinning is style, style in the sense that you can hold the grab longer and tweak it farther, because you are skipping the handle pass.

Again watch some video of Randall, his part in Al Sur would be perfect and you will see what I am talking about.

Hope this makes sense.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-05-2014, 7:36 AM Reply   
Great advice Andy. I want to start trying wrapped tricks and I didn't know that you still have to give the rope a tug.
Old     (Spence680)      Join Date: Apr 2014       09-05-2014, 7:45 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_nintzel View Post
You have a couple of things that are working against you here.

First your hand that is on the t-bar or Helper handle is out way to far, you need to have that elbow locked in at your hip, creating an "L" shape, this will also help keep your hips in line. I think this is actually 80% of the reason you are getting tugged out the front. Look ad a video of Randall coming in wrapped, his body is low, his butt is out, and his elbow is locked to his hip.

The second thing I see is that your letting the rope spin you off the wake, even tho your wrapped up you still have to pull the handle like you would if you were doing a handle pass BS 360. To most people who are learning wrapped spins they think that you wrap, hit the wake and just let go of the helper handle and you spin, but there is a lot more to it than that. When spinning wrapped your body still needs to be in the same position(s) that it would be if you were doing a handle pass. This will also force you to rotate in the air and not off the wake. In a handle pass spins you, Pop, pull, pass. In a wrapped spin its basically the same thing, but you, Pop, Pull, let go and grab. What you are truly gaining in wrapped spinning is style, style in the sense that you can hold the grab longer and tweak it farther, because you are skipping the handle pass.

Again watch some video of Randall, his part in Al Sur would be perfect and you will see what I am talking about.

Hope this makes sense.
thanks for the help. Now when you say you still have to give the rope a pull do you mean pull with my left hand which has a hold of the T handle or release the T handle then pull on the big handle which is in my right hand behind my back.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       09-05-2014, 1:04 PM Reply   
Spencer, yes you are correct you have to pull on the "T" handle, I pull just like as if I was going to pass the handle, I don't think you have to necessarily pull as hard as I do, but I like taking wrapped heelside spins to 5. Whenever possible I like to over do the trick so that when your ready to add another 180 you don't have to start from scratch and relearn the whole trick.

Watch Randall here you will get what I am talking about, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ix74D1_pJY8

At the 0:57 mark he does a wrapped FS 540 you see him pull the handle just like he was going to pass it, but instead of passing it you can grab and hold that thing till you put the landing gear down. There is another good example at the 2:35 mark on a HS FS Wrapped 7.
Old     (adam_balon)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-05-2014, 7:36 PM Reply   
rad man. the key is to get low in the knees heading into the wake, equal pressure on both feet. keep your elbows bent and arms in. if youre getting pulled out its cause you are letting go of the handle too early and/ or your back arm is getting away from you mid spin. def get your knees tucked up by grabbing melon, mute or nose! its the most fun trick cause you can grab from start to finish.... similar to riding a snowboard. really easy to drop your shoulder on and cork out as well.

good luck lets check some vid. if i get out in the am ill film one for you too.
Old     (bschall)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-06-2014, 10:34 AM Reply   

I learned wrapped spins with the help of the legend himself^
Old     (kevSML)      Join Date: Jun 2014       09-06-2014, 2:05 PM Reply   
It's amazing how high he gets. It's like he's jumping over those mountains in the background
Old     (Spence680)      Join Date: Apr 2014       09-06-2014, 11:17 PM Reply   
Thanks guys. Heading out tomorrow to try these again. Ill post up some videos tomorrow evening.