Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 04, 2009

Old     (x45er)      Join Date: Nov 2007       10-12-2009, 8:03 PM Reply   
just curious if anyone knows if the battery switch turned to position 1 will charge the second battery. the switch has 3 positions. 1/combine/off I normally just run them on combined.
Old     (snowboardcorey)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-13-2009, 8:22 AM Reply   
In position 1 you will charge both batteries while leaving one for cranking power and one for accessory.
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       10-13-2009, 10:27 AM Reply   
^^^wrong.
Old    murphy8166            10-13-2009, 10:30 AM Reply   
That's what I thought too.

and he is an MC sales guy....shoudn't he know.

What type of switch. If it is a Blue Sea, then I know he is wrong.
Old     (tre)      Join Date: Jul 2002 Location: WI       10-13-2009, 10:54 AM Reply   
I don't know about the X45 but my new Supra manual says to keep it in position 1 and that will charge both batteries while leaving the 1st battery for starting and 2nd for accessories. Battery two will only charge once battery 1 is charged with the switch on 1.

(Message edited by tre on October 13, 2009)
Old    murphy8166            10-13-2009, 11:17 AM Reply   
I called Blue Sea which is the switch that says off/on1/combine. They said if you are only running the switch then to charge all batteries, you ave to flip to combine.

now if you have their auto charging rely with the switch, then it can charge all batteries on the on position.
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       10-13-2009, 11:42 AM Reply   
tre, you also have a stock battery combiner in your supra, MC does not.

A couple of variables to give accurate advice. I've seen thsoe switches wired differently from the factory, none wronog, just different.

My guess is 1= battery isolation only batt one connected to alt., combine = both batteries combined and charging via alt,off = both disconnected from alt and all potential power draws.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       10-13-2009, 12:35 PM Reply   
Terry H,

Give us a pic and we know for sure what you are looking at.

On my 2006, there is a Voltage sensitive relay connected to the batteries. The Perko portion of the switch tells the engine which battery is used for starting and that battery gets charged first. The VSR will then open to the other battery once the first is charged.

You have to pay attention to how this setup is wired with your amps because you can have the switch set to one thing and the amps wired directly to another battery and still leave you hanging.

(Message edited by talltigeguy on October 13, 2009)
Old     (snowboardcorey)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-13-2009, 1:30 PM Reply   
According to the MC owners manual

For normal operation the battery switch should be placed in the ON position. This allows the engine and all accessories to recieve power. The engine will recharge both batteries with the switch on.
application/pdfUpload
Battery Switch.pdf (90.3 k)
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       10-13-2009, 1:45 PM Reply   
Based on the manual I'm assuming there is some sort of relay/combiner in line with the switch. Otherwise there is no diff between "on" and "combine".

This can also be confusing as Terry indicated there is a 1/combine/off on the switch...no "on".

I took most of these ski companies years to perfect the dual battery setup, lol...some still dont' have it right.

The correct and ideal dual setup is a batt combiner along with a switch ( perko, blu sea, ect)
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       10-13-2009, 5:05 PM Reply   
^^^^^^
That is what my 2006 has.
Old     (x45er)      Join Date: Nov 2007       10-13-2009, 8:15 PM Reply   
Thanks for all of the feedback.