Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 04, 2009

Old     (dvigzz)      Join Date: Aug 2009       09-22-2009, 1:29 PM Reply   
I currently have a 02 Malibu lsv and I wanted to add to my stock ballast. I currently have the mls system with the 1200lb bow sac and two extra 250lb sacs. The 250lb sacs I am giving back to my friend so I was wondering if I could fill tubberware with water and stash them I my rear ski lockers. I will put tie downs across the top and around the sides fo support. Anyone ever tried this?
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       09-22-2009, 1:41 PM Reply   
I have done this. Just line the tupperware with a garbage bag and tie the garbage bag on top. The cheapest ballast you will ever get.

Without the garbage bag liner, you will have those down to about 1/2 'tank' in no time if you hit any rollers. They are drip free if you use the liner.
Old     (spencerwm)      Join Date: Feb 2009       09-22-2009, 5:04 PM Reply   
We have filled them with concrete to use in a closed bow boat back in the day. Worked perfectly.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-22-2009, 5:51 PM Reply   
I've done it too... it works but they do slosh around.... but a good way to get it done on the cheap.
Old     (ship_of_fools)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-22-2009, 7:47 PM Reply   
I have done this as well, filled them with a empty drywall compound 5 lb bucket. Only took a few scoops for each one.

Try putting duct tape around them to give you a little more support.
Old     (dhcomp)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-22-2009, 8:05 PM Reply   
Really? I know people like saving money.....but you can pickup decent 5-600lb sacs for $49 ea, and put together a good pump setup for like $40 with an 800gph pump from walmart. Sometimes its worth cutting corners....but i don't think this is one of those times.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-22-2009, 8:31 PM Reply   
Tuber wear or Tupperware?
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       09-22-2009, 11:04 PM Reply   
I feel my Tubberware with real bits of panther. 60 % of the time, it works every time.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-22-2009, 11:06 PM Reply   
My cheap ballast solution was sand bags inside of duffel bags. Worked great. I think a 90lb dry sand bag is more like 120lbs when it's wet. Three on the platform did the trick on my old direct drive. I would imagine you could have a few to move around in the boat until you get it right.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       09-23-2009, 7:14 AM Reply   
Did construction grade sand bags the first year I had my boat. A little sand came out, but it was negligible. Didn't even vacuum it out.
Old     (davomaddo)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-04-2009, 10:10 PM Reply   
Do what you have to do, but sacks are getting pretty affordable these days...

Back in the day, we filled a bunch of 5 gallon buckets with sand and water. My buddies parents (who owned the boat) weren't too happy with it, but it got us a bigger wake.