Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 04, 2009

Old     (jaybee)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-10-2009, 10:44 AM Reply   
So I am looking into upgrading my automatic ballast as I am tired of having to do it manually. I am curious if anyone here has aftermarket pumps that they use in salt and hold up well that they can recommend. Also curious as to what bags people are running other than the fly high kit in mastercraft X-2's. Looking to do an upgrade a little cheaper than what the fly high will cost.

(Message edited by jaybee on September 10, 2009)
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-10-2009, 11:00 AM Reply   
I wouldn't hesitate using an aerator style live-well pumps such as the Attwood, Rule, or Johnson pumps. I'm sure there are tons of fish boxes being fed by these. $.02
Old     (jaybee)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-10-2009, 11:06 AM Reply   
Thats what i was thinking. I have a manual rule pump that has held up great at least for the last year where the launch pad crapped out after a few months which was fine as that is exactly what i knew would happen.
Old     (ryker1)      Join Date: Oct 2008       09-10-2009, 11:10 AM Reply   
I have two rule aerator pumps integrated and a fly high tsunami not integrated. Rules have been used in salt now almost 200 hours now and get regularly submeged in bilge salt water and are still going strong. These pumps were in the boat when I bought it so are who knows how old. The tsunami has anout 50 hours of salt use. The cigarette plug died but the pump is going strong.
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-10-2009, 4:30 PM Reply   
Don't get a Jabsco they didn't do well at all in our boat. Started out OK, the wiring got filled with salt, was only working to empty then not at all. Once it got submerged, after that it was scrap.

Our bilge pumps are aerators and they still go strong even after being submerged completely.
Old     (mc_x15)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-11-2009, 5:11 AM Reply   
Hey Chad, How did you change the cigarette plug anf where did you buy the new one. Mine barely works but the pump still is great. PLug fell in the water one time and not its crap.
Old     (jaybee)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-11-2009, 8:00 AM Reply   
Rob - Just go to radio shack. They have replacements that are a cinch to replace the old ones.
Old     (mc_x15)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-11-2009, 8:03 AM Reply   
Perefect, Thanks! One last question, are they all universal or are there different amperages or voltages?
Old     (jaybee)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-11-2009, 8:07 AM Reply   
Pretty sure they are universal.
Old     (mc_x15)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-11-2009, 8:24 AM Reply   
thanks!
Old     (justsan)      Join Date: May 2009       09-11-2009, 8:29 AM Reply   
Rule's hold up great in salt! Have had the same one rockin for 3 years, and it is still running strong.
Old     (davomaddo)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-04-2009, 9:53 PM Reply   
Rule is good. The only issue I had is there were no screens on them. Not really a pump issue - more of a thru hull issue. Twice, I fried pumps because they got plugges with seaweed.

Like Mike said - most livewell pumps are made for salt water fishing boats - so they are good.

I have the Jabsco pumps on my new MC. They are OK so far. They can suck the water up and are mounted up higher in the boat - so they should never be submerged in water. If they are submerged in water - the pumps will be the least of my issues.