Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 04, 2009

Old     (jaybee)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-12-2009, 12:30 PM Reply   
So I dinged my prop and thought no big deal, just pull it off and take it in to get fixed. Of course it couldn't be that easy. It seems like the rudder is almost just a half inch too far towards the prop and I could not get the prop off. It will go to within about a 1/4' of coming off, but just cannot make it off the shaft with the rudder where it is. I had to take it to a shop so they can remove the rudder to get it off which is not that big of a deal but what if god forbid I ding it again the first day i take it back? Now a simple thing has become a serious PITA chore.

Has anyone else come across this? Boat is a 2009 MC X-2 SS.
Old     (liveoz)      Join Date: May 2002       10-12-2009, 1:00 PM Reply   
I am confused. Can you not turn the rudder 90 degrees to give you the clearance you need. Aside from that, I have never owned an x-2 so no help there.
Old     (jaybee)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-12-2009, 1:22 PM Reply   
Nope. Rudder will only go about 45 degrees. Just did some research and it seems like it is semi-common with MC's to have to drop the rudder to change the prop. Design flaw no?
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-12-2009, 1:28 PM Reply   
You can disconnect the arm off the rudder and turn it 90º to get the prop off. Way easier than removing the rudder itself IMO.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-12-2009, 1:36 PM Reply   
That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Do you have a different prop then the stock one?
Old     (hawaiianstiln)      Join Date: Oct 2004       10-12-2009, 2:59 PM Reply   
I just took my prop off my 07 X2 one week ago and had to turn the rudder all the way to the right or left to finally get it all the way off. It will come off, you just have to work it a bit more I think. I couldn't imagine they changed much of the underwater guts from 07 to 09

What size is the prop?? Call the dealer and ask them. I'm sure they have no problem asking the mechanics in the back how they do it. Taking off the rudder is unacceptable!
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       10-12-2009, 3:23 PM Reply   
I think it is unaccpetable too. And that is how my X-45 is. It depends to some degree on which prop you have. My 13.7 X 19.5 did not have to detach the rudder, but the 14.75 X 15.5 requires the rudder to move to 90 degrees. It reminds me of one of those metal puzzles where if you twist the pieces just right, they come apart, but otherwise you can never figure out how to get them apart.

If you changed the pitch or size of the prop it makes a difference from going from a tight fit, to impossible.

I am an idiot, so I dropped the rudder the first time...that was a good experience to learn how to do it. Now I just detach the rudder arm so that I can turn it 90 degrees and the prop comes off easily.