Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 04, 2009

Old     (tylers)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-05-2009, 5:39 PM Reply   
I got to put our new Z1 in the water on Sunday. It was a great start everything working like a champ. Then it all went south. RPM's shot up and boat stopped moving. Had to get towed in. It looks like something is wrong with the tranny. I can spin the prop when it's in gear. Big time bummer I didn't expect this first time out.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-05-2009, 6:14 PM Reply   
Welcome to boat ownership. What do you mean you can spin the prop when it's in gear? Did you get under the boat when it was in the water and put it in gear? Is the nuetral safety switch bad. I sold a mastercraft X7 when I sold boats and when the guy took it to the lake the first time he could start and rev up the motor but it would go in gear. There was a latch/swith/thingamajigger on the shift linkage that came loose. Maybe something similar to this is what happened to you?
Old     (tylers)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-05-2009, 6:33 PM Reply   
When I put it on the trailer I climbed under it to see if I could spin it while in gear. I played around with the neutral button and I don't think that is it. It is acting like it's in neutral. It was running great for about 20 minutes or so. It also looks like my cruise control isn't working. I hope a trip to the dealer will get all of the kinks out.
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-05-2009, 6:40 PM Reply   
That sucks!! Sorry to hear that.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-05-2009, 6:47 PM Reply   
I guess I should have read it closer the first time!

08 or 09? Did you notice a problem with the cruise before or after the engine free-rev'd? Was the Prop shaft turning or just the prop? Has your dealer swapped the prop or had it off before you took delivery? These boats are shipped without the props on, the rigger may not have gotten the prop seated and it spun off the key. Could be low trans fliud as well.

(Message edited by chpthril on October 05, 2009)
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-05-2009, 6:48 PM Reply   
Check to see if the linkage on top of the transmission that actually shifts the transmission from nuetral to forward or reverse came loose?
Old     (black_ops_09)      Join Date: May 2009       10-05-2009, 7:19 PM Reply   
I FEEL YOUR PAIN!!
Old    murrayair            10-05-2009, 7:32 PM Reply   
Sorry to hear that, Tyler. I've heard pretty good things about the Z-1, so hopefully it's a fluke.
Old     (fogey)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-05-2009, 7:33 PM Reply   
^^^^^^^ Me too. What a bummer.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-06-2009, 8:18 AM Reply   
Tyler, this won't fix your problem but did you run it on the trailer very long? You probably already know but just in case, don't dry run your boat for more than a few seconds or you'll likely burn up the impeller.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       10-06-2009, 9:27 AM Reply   
I don't think he ran it on the trailer. The motor has to be running for the tranny to engage. The trans pump has to have pressure to engage the clutches. IOW, it's normal for you to be able to spin the prop with the shifter in gear if the motor is off.
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       10-06-2009, 9:55 AM Reply   
would bet money something got loose. I've had the cable that attaches back at the transmission come off on my boat before. same symptoms. Highly doubt you have "transmission problems"
Old     (davenk)      Join Date: Feb 2008       10-06-2009, 12:30 PM Reply   
Tyler update us on this and let me know how you like your Z1. I am hoping to buy one in the near future.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       10-06-2009, 12:44 PM Reply   
I'd say shaft coupler on a DD. Not sure whats back there on a V...
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-06-2009, 2:14 PM Reply   
Trace, Yeah I reread it and you're right I doubt he was down there while that thing was running and in gear..lol
Old     (biggsteev)      Join Date: Nov 2007       10-06-2009, 2:50 PM Reply   
Tyler,
Sounds to me like the linkage became detached just like Brett mentioned. This is a very easy fix if so and requires no tools at all. Give your dealer a call and let them knock it out for you. At our dealership we sea-trial every boat in our inventory before it is sold so our customers do not have to experience problems like this on their first outing. However, things can happen and it is our job as dealers to take care of it for you. Let us know how it turns out. I'm sure your going to love your Z1!!
Old     (tylers)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-06-2009, 6:50 PM Reply   
Hey guys... I did talk to the dealer today and they said to bring it in and they will take a look. I did check the linkage and it's on good. I didn't have the boat running when I tried to move the prop. But the shaft and the prop were spinning. I don't have a fake a lake so I didn't want to ruin my impeller. But if it needs fluid to engage that might be why it's spinning. Steve the boat would have passed a sea-trail if it had one since it ran for about 20 or 30 minutes before it stopped. I'm sure it's something that will be easily fixed and I'll be back on the H2O soon. This is my second Tige and I loved the first one. This kind of thing happens every now and then. Maybe it is something stupid that I've overlooked. It wouldn't be the first time.

The cruise control didn't work during at all I tried it almost right away. I hoping that the control pad is just unplugged, or once again I'm doing something wrong and it's just user error.

I will keep everyone updated as my adventure unfolds....
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-06-2009, 7:10 PM Reply   
I wouldn't say any of your problems are typical of a Tige Z1. They are typical in the sense that no matter what brand of boat, every once in a while something happens. Sounds like your dealer is going to take care of it as they should.
Old     (tylers)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-06-2009, 7:20 PM Reply   
Brett - you are correct it's just part of boating not brand specific. I don't want this to be a negative post on Tige.

I did just call my buddy and he is going to bring his fake a lake over tomorrow after work and we are going to hook it up and see what happens. Trace brings up a great point and maybe it was just low on fluid and it just needs a top off. I'll update everyone soon.

Thanks
Old     (tylers)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-07-2009, 7:05 PM Reply   
So we just checked again and the fluid is good so that wasn't the issue. I'll try and get it in to the dealer this weekend and update again with what they say.