Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 04, 2009

Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-27-2009, 2:50 PM Reply   
Any body ever boarded on this lake? I drove over to Yakima and went that way from Auburn. The lake looked awesome. It looked kind of like a small Shasta. I also didn't see any boats on it other than a few fishing boats. The only reason I could see it not being very good is that it is up in the mountains and probably pretty cold.
Old     (liljohn)      Join Date: May 2007       09-27-2009, 5:24 PM Reply   
Hey Brett! I was there 2 years ago. cold as hell and not near as big as it leads you to belive. but we were there for a holiday weekend and had butter all day every day. reminded me of pateros only 10-15 degrees colder. there are some great campsites on the north end and if you boat in theres even better camping on the island on the S.E. end of the lake. Hope that helps.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-27-2009, 6:17 PM Reply   
I figured it would be cold. Did you go in late summer or early? Was there any other boats out that weren't fishing?
Old     (liljohn)      Join Date: May 2007       09-27-2009, 9:05 PM Reply   
I wanna say it was early summer. June or July I think. we were the only wakeboard boat on the whole lake there were a couple I/O`s fishing but that was it. It realy was butter all day long.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-28-2009, 8:47 AM Reply   
John, was it pretty shallow? It looked kind of shallow when driving by. I saw some rocks sticking out about half way down the lake. I couldn't tell if it was shallow though or just the lake was so clear it looked shallow.

(Message edited by polarbill on September 28, 2009)
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-28-2009, 9:07 AM Reply   
Here is a pretty cool pic of part of the lake.

Upload
Old     (dlamont)      Join Date: Apr 2003       09-28-2009, 9:15 AM Reply   
drove by the lake two weeks ago after floating the Tieton river. It was blown out but you could see the potential. Probably a great place in August when it warms up.
Old     (phenom_1819)      Join Date: Jan 2008       09-28-2009, 10:26 AM Reply   
Aaah, my neck of the woods!

Rimrock Lake is incredibly cold and almost always windy. It's at a really high elevation, so on the 100 degree days, it can be a great way to get away to more reasonable 85-90 degree temperatures... but the water is still freezing cold.

There is only one bay that works for wakeboarding, it is protected from the winds but is very short (called Bear Cove, opposite the "T" in the lake, almost visible to the right in the pic above). There is another bay (SE end of the lake, around that point in the top left of that picture, near the airstrip) that would be perfect for wakeboarding... except that it's very shallow and there are lots of underwater stumps. I've had people tell me it's OK, but when my depth finder reads 5 feet and I know there are stumps below me, that's way too close for comfort...

Yes, it looks nice... but unfortunately its not.

(Message edited by phenom_1819 on September 28, 2009)
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-28-2009, 10:32 AM Reply   
Damn, I thought I found a jewel. When you say really cold, how cold are we talking? 55, 60, 65 in late August?
Old     (phenom_1819)      Join Date: Jan 2008       09-28-2009, 10:39 AM Reply   
55-60 degrees as a high temp is probably about right... It's been a few years since I've been on the water up there so don't remember exactly. Check Lake Mayfield, about an hour closer to Seattle on Hwy-12. I've always wanted to go, it looks beautiful...
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-28-2009, 11:13 AM Reply   
We've rode on Mayfield quite 4 or 5 times. It was OK, had a tendancy to get blown out pretty easily. Also seemed like the Corp was always messing with the lake level... raising the water, then lowering it, which would pull a ton of debris off the shore & we'd have sticks floating all over...... not so good for a boat or boarder & really sucks on a foil.
Old     (goinbigg17)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-28-2009, 11:56 AM Reply   
Is Mayfield the one you drive over on Hwy 12? If so, the few times I have drove over it seemed like there were plenty of boats and the water was always rough. Not worth a drive from Seattle. Rim Rock would be fun though with that awesome mountain setting. Always though Kechelus (sp?) at the top of Snoqualmie would be cool to ride too.
Old     (brianinpdx)      Join Date: Aug 2009       09-28-2009, 12:22 PM Reply   
I was out on Mayfield in August with a whole bunch of kids camping. went out fishing 2-3 times and came across (count them 4 boats) with holes punched in their hauls. I've never seen so much debris on a lake before. It was crazy. Kids had a good time, but I'd stay off it board wise. And ya, its off HWY12. Water temp was 61 degrees btw
Old     (no_air)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-29-2009, 10:07 PM Reply   
Cool thing about Rimrock is there are two different marinas where you can keep your boat in the water.

It will blow out in early afternoon if the temperature is high in Yakima and low on the Westside. If you get highs on the Westside such as the few weeks we had this summer then the entire lake will be glass all day.
Old     (davomaddo)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-01-2009, 5:09 PM Reply   
61 degrees... brrr.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-02-2009, 7:47 AM Reply   
59 water & 57 air yesterday afternoon in a shorty. We were the only boat on the lake.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-02-2009, 8:06 AM Reply   
Fall and spring riding is th best in Washington. Especially western washington. There are just oo many people on the water in the summer to focus on wakeboarding. Partying is great in the summer time though. Last year I think I started riding and Sammamish was in the high 40's or right around 50.
Old     (davomaddo)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-04-2009, 9:21 PM Reply   
Brett, get up earlier.