Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (TNwakeboarder86)      Join Date: Sep 2016       02-28-2017, 5:49 AM Reply   
I have searched several sites and found several different build forums. Never just about painting. So I have done a lot of homework on painting boards, but it looks like most of it is old boards or after laminating.

My favorite thing I saw was the dish soap affect, and alcohol one. Has anyone tried the dish soap painting method just directly to foam before putting the laminated sheets down?
I think the soap does a very creative design, and just curious if it can be done or if having to spray off the soap right after with water ruins the board. I know it probably has to dry for days after to let the water get out.

Any thoughts? My first board I used house paint directly to the foam, didn't look bad but this time im using an air spray gun to try and paint and want to add some designs to it.

thanks!
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-28-2017, 10:37 AM Reply   
You cannot use any of those methods directly on foam. Dish soap as a mask or cover is solely a finished board spray effect, popularized in the 90s. The soap will penetrate the foam as well as the water and you will never be able to laminate it properly.

House paint? like latex based house paint? If so, this is a really bad idea. It will react with the resin, curdle, and peel up.

To be honest, you should never go about painting your first board, unless you are working with a professional. It will be a mess. It is hard enough to properly laminate a board. Properly is the key, laying glass and resin down is pretty easy, if you follow certain steps, but doing it properly takes a lot of practice.

Nick
Old     (TNwakeboarder86)      Join Date: Sep 2016       02-28-2017, 11:28 AM Reply   
Well shoot, everything I been ready is different. People say so long as its acrylic paint, you can go straight to foam, so long as you let it dry. Can you do the soap and spray paint directly to the lamination before the hot coat?

I already painted one, turned out ok, and have two more ready to be painted. I been waiting until it warms up to do the resin and hardener.

thanks!
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-28-2017, 2:49 PM Reply   
Acrylic is fine. Some latex household paints use acrylic binders some do not or only use a small amount of binders. In general acrylic craft paints are used to paint surfboards. This in because they are largely just powder pigments mixed with acrylic binders, not a host of other products.

You could do the soap and spray finish to the lamination before the hot coat, but you will have some bonding issues. It will be more like a physical bond than chemical bond. Also introducing water at this step is a general no no.

Nick
Old     (TNwakeboarder86)      Join Date: Sep 2016       03-01-2017, 6:17 AM Reply   
man, I love that design the swirl look. I cant believe you couldn't do the paint then put a clear spray type thing over it before you hot coat. I guess maybe that's why I never seen a wake surf board with a random swirl design.
Old     (TNwakeboarder86)      Join Date: Sep 2016       03-01-2017, 6:47 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
Acrylic is fine. Some latex household paints use acrylic binders some do not or only use a small amount of binders. In general acrylic craft paints are used to paint surfboards. This in because they are largely just powder pigments mixed with acrylic binders, not a host of other products.

You could do the soap and spray finish to the lamination before the hot coat, but you will have some bonding issues. It will be more like a physical bond than chemical bond. Also introducing water at this step is a general no no.

Nick
As you can see the back one is painting already. I know it looks terrible it was my first one. Second one you can see I did the sealing with the spackle and water mix. I have sanded it since then, the third one I shot a closer pic is my fav so far, being creative on the design. its going to be 5'5 I think and its going to be the biggest board so far. I am a BIG guy so I hope it works. I am doing all of these different to try different things. I love how short boards can be made for us big guys being right under 6 foot but 300 lbs, I cant lose this weight after football, HA. But I love how I am learning its all about thickness and rails for big guys but can still be on short board. I also have one I am cutting its 4'9 but it should be 2.5 thick, I am going to try for a short fun board for me after the third. I am just now bummed about this painting thing.
Old     (TNwakeboarder86)      Join Date: Sep 2016       03-01-2017, 7:39 AM Reply   
forgot the pics
Attached Images

Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-03-2017, 8:17 AM Reply   
https://www.facebook.com/MarkoBlanks...6077438744520/

https://www.facebook.com/MarkoBlanks...6077475411183/

The difference between quality foam and pretty much all billet foam.

Nick

Last edited by Chaos; 03-03-2017 at 8:22 AM. Reason: left out link
Old     (RideaNeversummer)      Join Date: Feb 2014       03-03-2017, 10:01 AM Reply   
Apparently there is some sort of spray paint that works directly on EPS foam.

Old     (RzNick)      Join Date: Aug 2014       03-04-2017, 3:22 AM Reply   
I found this stuff at micheals. Didn't eat the foam. And it comes in a bunch of colors. It is however $8 a can.
Attached Images

Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-04-2017, 11:09 AM Reply   
There are a bunch of water based acrylics available in rattle cans. Liquidtex, Montana, etc. Graffiti art market. Some people use them for surfboards. They are OK, but not really a substitute for a professional paint gun and air compressor or airbrush for fine work. You have more control over paint flow with a spray gun. You will want to stay away from anything with solvents like toluene and xylene. They will melt the polystyrene. Xylene is a good solvent for epoxy resins. People will use it in small amounts to thin out epoxy.

Nick