Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (unclejessie)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-04-2014, 9:16 PM Reply   
I see some chatter about the surf wake but has anyone wakeboarded behind this sick looking boat yet? Is the wake clean, but mushy, dirty and firm , or clean and solid ? This boat seems seriously legit but if the wake isn't solid its just another surf boat...
Old     (Ttime41)      Join Date: Nov 2011       06-05-2014, 4:44 AM Reply   
Just took my first couple sets behind the SC and that wake is AMAZING! It shares a lot of characteristics with the SA wake, like being clean at low speeds or when loaded up and being insensitive to weight distribution in the boat, but its just a little bit steeper. I know they really market the SA as the wake boat and the SC as a surf boat, but when it comes down to it i think i prefer the SC wakeboard wake just a little bit over the SA. The one I've been riding is a 450 with stock PnP up front and 1200's in the back, and it still blows me away how clean the wake stays (I ride at 22.5) and how the boat will still turn on a dime with that much weight in it. I highly recommend riding behind one and seeing it for yourself!
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-05-2014, 6:51 AM Reply   
I have not wake boarded behind one, but have pulled a rider. My riding days may be over, but might strap on the board once or twice this year. My feedback is just the same as what Ttime41 said. Seems to be quite similar to the SA. We were really loaded and running about 22-23 (hard to get exact with the current) and both sides were clean and big. It seemed pretty wide, but like I said, I was not back there. The boat still handled great. I have not heard one negative thing about the wake board wake on the SA or SC
Old     (unclejessie)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-05-2014, 7:00 AM Reply   
How about comparisons to wakes that have been around a while, like is it similar to the first picklefork Xstar, or is like a VLX, or maybe like a picklefork MB, all weighted down far beyond factory ballast?

Thanks guys!
Old     (Jwredmon101)      Join Date: May 2014       06-05-2014, 7:20 AM Reply   
Honestly, if it is similar to a wake from years ago then why not buy one of those boats.. I hope it would be far progressed above those boats you stated or why spend the extra cash.
Old     (unclejessie)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-05-2014, 7:51 AM Reply   
Well let's see, I don't like the VLX wake, so if it is like that, then it isn't for me. I like the older Xstar wake but I am not going to pay 60K for a used older Xstar. I like the MB wake, but I already have a small Vdrive (2004 SAN), so I am not interested in another small Vdrive. I am asking to use these wakes as a reference to some wake I really love and really don't care for.

-Uj
Old     (Fiveflat)      Join Date: Sep 2010       06-05-2014, 8:04 AM Reply   
It's a lot like the Axis wake, which isn't really a surprise since both hulls were designed by the same guy. It's clean and solid. Great for new young riders at slow speeds too.
Old     (Rusty)      Join Date: Mar 2014       06-05-2014, 9:47 AM Reply   
I've heard the SA compared to the last gen X-star wake and actually maybe a little bigger when really loaded. So the SC is in that same area. It definitely is a beast of a wake and one of the best out there right now. Not to mention it surfs awesome as well.
Old     (nelson)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-05-2014, 11:52 AM Reply   
I can't speak for the SC but as far as for the SA I can say the wake is great. I loaded mine up with 4000# last weekend to see how it handled and it was great. Wake was solid all the way through not super lippy at the top like the VLX is with the wedge down. It's considerably wider then say a VLX wake at 70' but very comparable to the 07 X star that I ride behind. I think a loaded X-Star has a little more of a rampy wake then the SA. Wake really reminded me of my friends 04 Nautique which I always liked. Didn't believe my wife when she said it drove just as good loaded as it did empty so took it for a drive myself and she was spot on. I'll be back on the water this weekend a long with the X-star so I will try and get some pics of both.
Old     (unclejessie)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-05-2014, 12:12 PM Reply   
Telling me its like an 04 SAN is music to my ears!!! Anyone with a 350 ride it loaded up and wish they had the 450?

-Uj
Old     (nelson)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-05-2014, 12:25 PM Reply   
I have always liked the Nautiques its the one brand I have never personally had, but have had family or friends with them so spent a lot of time in and behind them. They where always so small but they fixed that with the G series. Mine is the 350 and we where riding at 4800' and it did fine. Took maybe 15 secs longer to get to riding speed then say what I normally run. It gets out of the hole faster then my friends X-star with the 8.1 in it. I was impressed at how it did with that weight and how easy it did it.
Old     (unclejessie)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-05-2014, 12:39 PM Reply   
Thx Eric, great info. If I were to buy that boat I would rather not spend the extra 8k on the motor if I really don't need it... Demoing both will be impossible. I ride a lake at ~4-5k ft so your info is exactly what I needed.

Thx,

Uj
Old     (nelson)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-05-2014, 12:50 PM Reply   
No problem, I was a little concerned about it also since I bought this boat in the winter and had to go off what others had said. I ride at Shasta a lot in the spring / early summer if you ever get up that way and want a pull to see it for yourself hit me up.
Old     (unclejessie)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-05-2014, 12:54 PM Reply   
Sounds great Eric, I might do that this summer. It is hard to get your around buying you get to spend just a couple hrs in. When I bought my SAN, I had already spent a ton of hrs in one, so I felt I knew the boat and all its quiks.

Uj
Old     (83Starsnstripes)      Join Date: Jul 2013       06-06-2014, 10:53 AM Reply   
Just rode the SC this morning. Really nice wake. Wider than I expected but really good shape and solid. Didn't really load it up but ran with stock ballast plus about 1000lbs extra. We ran short on time but I would have liked to move the weight forward in the boat. Wake won't wash over either which was nice to see.

I'll try grab some pictures next time! BTW I love how this boat drives. Super responsive.
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       06-11-2014, 3:13 PM Reply   
someone please post a picture of the SC wake. I really can't find one that looks good.
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       06-13-2014, 1:21 PM Reply   
please...I want to see a good SC wake. I am thinking about buy a Supra next year. Anyone please.
Old     (tom_paz)      Join Date: Jan 2003       06-13-2014, 2:04 PM Reply   
Just rode the SC the other day (with ~4k #s) and was definitely impressed. Same friends had an SA last year and the most noticeable thing for me was the added vert/upward pop that the SC delivered. To me the SA was more rampy and similar to the 04-12 Xstar. But they definitely have made it steeper with the SC, not sure if it was intentional or not (i was told the SC and SA have the same amount of hull below the water line, in theory should be an identical wake). It didnt matter if you cut in fast or slow, if you held your edge through the wake the only place you go is up. Not quite as abrupt of pop as the old 210, but similar. The wake is a little wider than the old 210 obviously, but theres a longer landing zone too.

Two thumbs up for the SC"s wakeboard wake.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-18-2014, 8:19 AM Reply   
Here was a video that was recently posted of Jamie McCauley riding his SC.... Not sure any specifics of how it is weighted, speed or line length...

http://www.wakeboardingmag.com/featu...amie-mccauley/
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       06-18-2014, 2:14 PM Reply   
That looks pretty good to me, Better than my Malibu. Thanks for sharing.
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       06-19-2014, 9:03 AM Reply   
UncleJessie - I think you deserve a G! I find it really hard to believe any wake is truly like the old SAN. That curb is unique. The SC wake in that video looks solid though. Make up your mind already and get something, and invite me on it!
Old     (chrisbucklin)      Join Date: Mar 2012       06-21-2014, 7:23 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler97217 View Post
Here was a video that was recently posted of Jamie McCauley riding his SC.... Not sure any specifics of how it is weighted, speed or line length...

He is a great rider! Even better to watch when he's being ur boat! I hope he remembers me when he's famous!
Old     (TomMcCauley)      Join Date: Feb 2014       06-23-2014, 2:20 PM Reply   
Quote:

Diggs,

For that video, rear ballast bags had been upgraded from 400s to 750s. That brought ballast up to 2900# via switches. 1,000 of lead was added. 40% in the bow and 60% under the seats (makes it mostly midship). Another 500# or so in a fatsac sitting on the floor in the rear. Total of about 4400#.

Characteristics of other wakes but smooth and clean. Yes the SC is billed as a surf boat but you would be very happy with the wake. Wake is a little more rampy. Not sure why as it's basically the same running surface of the hull. Perhaps because there's a slightly different tilt point than the SA, or perhaps because the higher freeboard allows a little more flexibility with the front to rear ballast configuration. Jamie likes the wake equally to the SA which he rode last year and rides out in Florida.

Although I do like the pickle fork design, I also like the higher freeboard of the SC. Personal choice. Knowing what I know now about both boats, it would be a tough choice for me which I'd pick today if I had both boats side by side, but because of the personal preference of the higher freeboard the nod might go to the SC. Other than the smaller bow area to downsize the boat slightly, the interior space is identical to the SA.

Guarantee anyone that wakeboards OR wakesurfs behind the SC will not be disappointed. Jamie would tell you the same.

If you are out near the Chicago area hit me up. I'll take you out and let you see for y9ourself.
Old     (TomMcCauley)      Join Date: Feb 2014       06-23-2014, 2:20 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclejessie View Post
I see some chatter about the surf wake but has anyone wakeboarded behind this sick looking boat yet? Is the wake clean, but mushy, dirty and firm , or clean and solid ? This boat seems seriously legit but if the wake isn't solid its just another surf boat...
Not sure where you live but if you are in the Chicago / Wisconsin area hit me up and I'll take you for a ride. You won't be disappointed.
Old     (TomMcCauley)      Join Date: Feb 2014       06-23-2014, 2:23 PM Reply   
Quote:

Other details I forgot to mention in my other reply. Speed was 23.8 and he rides at 75'. Most of the lake is deep (15' - 25') but there were a few parts of the video that were shot about 8' - 10' depth.