Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (nittyp)      Join Date: Aug 2014       11-20-2014, 11:58 AM Reply   
Can we expect to see new 2015 model boards being released from more manufacturers in the next few weeks, or do we have to wait until after the new year? Curious if Santa will be able to bring us a few new boards or not.. ;-) Thanks for any insight.
Old     (scuba_steve)      Join Date: Oct 2013       11-20-2014, 1:54 PM Reply   
All depends on the manufacture along with when your local shop chose to have boards shipped.

If its anything from the wakeboard or mass produced surf companies those boards are made overseas and have to get shipped to their warehouse first. After that it depends what ship date your local shop went with. They offer 3 different date ranges giving them different dated payment plans. Usually if the manufacture has a certain board in stock and ready to ship you local shop can still order it in for you.

The smaller/hand shapped surf boards all depends when your local shop chose shipping dates. Chaos, SoulCraft, Victoria Skimboards all produce stuff in house so its just the build time (2 weeks or so depending on the board, back stock, orders a head of you, etc) and ship time.
Old     (scuba_steve)      Join Date: Oct 2013       11-20-2014, 3:13 PM Reply   
Ronix

Slingshot

Alien twister

Alien twister fx

Ankle Biter
[img]http://www.slingshotsports.com/core/media/media.nl?id=1694221&c=429740&h=7040832fbee9b4aa2d82[/img[

Ankle Biter FX
http://www.slingshotsports.com/core/...3fdf302666d3e1

Skim bender
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       11-21-2014, 10:16 AM Reply   
Like Steven said, lots of boards out. Lots of color this year, especially from the wakeboard brands.
LFs boards are pretty much all color coded by size for each model. They are doing a few sizes of each model.
Inland has a few new offerings or different material combos.
P5 has some new offerings an new color/material combos.
Ronix has modified their line-up some and new colors, same with slingshot, byerly, hyperlight.
Most have standard models with new graphics and colors for 2015.

http://shredstixxusa.com/2015-boards/
Old     (scuba_steve)      Join Date: Oct 2013       11-21-2014, 10:55 AM Reply   
Sorry, the links I had for the first batch of pictures got changed.

As Nick said, lots of offerings are out on the wakeboard brand boards.. Jeff with SoulCraft has his boards out and some shops already have them. I believe he was R&Ding a new shape at this past Poler Bear but I've yet to hear anything on that otherwise I'd have it at the shop. the Chaos/Shredstixx USA boards look great and I can't wait to get our order in and get them behind the boat.

Chaos

Phase 5

Hyperlite/Byerly

LiquidForce

Old     (scuba_steve)      Join Date: Oct 2013       11-21-2014, 11:11 AM Reply   
Also Victoria Skimboards has some new stuff in the lineup.

The Debut and Debut Grom are their all wood boards for that entry level/ price point to get people on the water at $199 and $174.

They also have this "Project V" board that was posted on their isntagram page. From what I've heard it will be a performance skimboard similar to the Factor PCX but designed for smaller women surfers.

Old     (stingreye)      Join Date: Oct 2012       11-21-2014, 5:32 PM Reply   
One thing I would add...... what FINS come with the board? Did the manufacturer cheap out on the fin?

One of the disappointments with the Ronix Carbon Thruster is the fins..... Thankfully, the fin box is FCS so you can buy replacements but when making your decision for a $700+ board, I would expect higher quality fins. I bought a blem Thruster and had spare fins from another board to try but..... a quality fin is important IMO. I also bought a blem Triple X that came with quality fins.

Most of your custom boards Chaos, Walker Project, Soul Craft, are coming with higher quality fins and the ability to upgrade to a better fin. I would encourage those comparing boards to look at the fins its comes with for the overall value and if they use a common fin box or not.

IMHO - fins are an underrated component of a great riding board. For example, I really like Black Stixx and REALLY want to try some of Chaos's wakesurf specific fins sometime!
Old     (scuba_steve)      Join Date: Oct 2013       11-21-2014, 7:27 PM Reply   
Soulcraft is running Futures boxes and ships stock with V2F4's.

The new Hyperlite Quad surf style board is running Futures boxes but I believe ships with a cheap composite fin. If I were buying that board I would factor some new Fins into the cost and talk the shop into a package deal.

The LF Machine and Sixer are running FCS fins, but again probably some cheap composites are coming stock and I'd factor an upgraded set into either board.

Ronix is FCS boxes.

Slingshot I'm not sure.
Old     (stingreye)      Join Date: Oct 2012       11-21-2014, 8:50 PM Reply   
Great info! Thanks!
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       11-22-2014, 7:46 AM Reply   
When I ordered my Chaos Sixer Bamboo Nick included his top of the line Chaos fins. I agree that fins can make or break a board as far as whether the rider likes the board or has buyers remorse after not being able to demo the board and spending $600-$900
Old     (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       11-24-2014, 7:31 PM Reply   
The 2015 Lakewakes line up of boards.
Attached Images

Old     (scuba_steve)      Join Date: Oct 2013       11-25-2014, 4:45 PM Reply   
I'm thinking Nick with Chaos had the first skimboard offering a Futures fin box. Also the TMF-1 and TMF-2 are not the most ideal skim fins. Both fins have a depth of 2" which is deep compared to the typical 1"-1.25" depth of skim fins.

Chaos Skim Fin

TMF-1

TMF-2

Last edited by scuba_steve; 11-25-2014 at 4:49 PM. Reason: added pictures
Old     (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       11-25-2014, 5:04 PM Reply   
Whhttp://lakewakes.com/blog/?p=1076

when did Nick offer the board, mine was 1/2013, link here.
Old     (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       11-25-2014, 5:15 PM Reply   
http://youtu.be/t6E43KveVQQ"

fins have been proven to work my my design. Performance may or may not be enhanced with a smaller fin. The option to purchase a looser riding fin would be up to the owner, they can also modify the standard fins as cost is only 5 dollars each.

Last edited by brewkettle; 11-25-2014 at 5:22 PM.
Old     (scuba_steve)      Join Date: Oct 2013       11-25-2014, 5:29 PM Reply   
My apologies, from the picture you posted I thought it was new for your 2015 boards.

As for the TMF-1/TMF-2 fins, everyone I've met and talked with would ride the smaller fins. The 2" fins have too much hold. They all prefer to use the rails of the skim and just run something small for a little drive when pumping the wake to build speed for airs.
Old     (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       11-25-2014, 5:42 PM Reply   
I will probably offer a small fin in ,the spring,time added to the fin package of each wakeskim board
Old     (Pad1Tai)      Join Date: Jan 2013       11-25-2014, 5:58 PM Reply   
Any info on the non commercial brands such as Soulcraft, Doomswell, and Triple X?
Old     (scuba_steve)      Join Date: Oct 2013       11-26-2014, 9:02 AM Reply   
Here is a picture of the Soulcraft boards we received at California Marine Sports.

Left to right:

4'8 Flying Mike - 4'8 Fang Tail - 4'8 Honu - 4'6 Blunt Nose Honu - 4'5 AV Inspire

All of his boards are shipping with a full traction set along with Futures F2V4 fins.

Nothing new was added to the lineup other than the Blunt Nose Honu and even that might have been produced last year for a few customers. I heard from a few different people he has a new shape in the works but it wasnt ready when I placed my order.

His website is getting updated but it list the current boards as follows:

SoulCraft Boarding

WAKESURF BOARD MODELS

AV Inspire
DTKB
Emily
Fang Tail
Flying Mike
Honu
Blunt Nose Honu
JS Pro
Soul Skimmer
Soul Slider
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       11-30-2014, 8:59 AM Reply   
We started using futures boxes in the chaos skim back in 2009. Before that the skim stixx, a different design developed by Jerry Price, more similar to the crowley boards, also had a single future box and was first produced back in 2006 or so.
Saying you are the first at something is dubious at best, and nothing more than silly marketing. Everything has been done before, just often not documented.
First is not necessarily best, nor is it really meaningful.

Nick
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       12-07-2014, 2:26 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba_steve View Post
I'm thinking Nick with Chaos had the first skimboard offering a Futures fin box. Also the TMF-1 and TMF-2 are not the most ideal skim fins. Both fins have a depth of 2" which is deep compared to the typical 1"-1.25" depth of skim fins.
Just wanted to chime in on this. I have a Flying Saucer with the TMF-1 and TMF-2 fins with it. They work exceptionally well on the Flying Saucer. The TMF-2 is my favorite of the two, but both provide a great ride without hindering any movement and allowing you to spin really easily while maintaining control.
I think a smaller profile fin would actually make the board too loose. It is very loose as it is, and these allow you to maintain good control and still break loose easily.
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       12-08-2014, 9:08 AM Reply   
What Steve is saying is that the nubster style fins are not designed or ideal for a skim style board.
They were never designed with a skim board in mind nor to be used by themselves. Any fin will work in a board, but you will not find any professional skim riders rocking a guitar pick fin for multiple reason.
True skim riders find these fins far too large/tall for rotations and hold. Skim riding is really about riding the rail not the fin. Surfboard are designed to ride the fins.

Nick
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       12-08-2014, 10:38 AM Reply   
Oh, I get what you're saying. I've actually played with the idea of swapping out my TMF-2 to a Futures A6 fin. I rode that on the Soulcraft skimmer and it performed well. It is a lot more low profile.
I'll probably pick one up and try it on this season as it is more of a skim style fin.

I thought the TMFs were big at first and might not work as well like some of the Hybrid type boards, but after riding it, it worked well. I'm still going to try out a few more fin options though.