Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (CarbonSurf)      Join Date: Jun 2014       09-27-2014, 9:10 AM Reply   
Hey so my buddy has a new 14 tiger z1

We ride at a shallow lake 4-8ft

It has the factory setup with the pro bags surf platform.

We are having troubles get it dialed in running 100% front port and 100% back port with and without the surf platform and also same config for goofy starboard. Also tried some counter balance at 25% rear and then also tried less in the front. For speed we have tried 8.6 up to 10.
9.0 I think is the sweet spot.
The regular side is ok. But the goofy the pocket is not enough to hold a rider its like the boat if going to fast and surf is to long vs. Wide.
Taps I think between 3 & 5

Tomorrow I'll add a 750 behind the driver to see if that helps.

Any ideas?
Old     (Birdman)      Join Date: Jan 2014       09-27-2014, 11:01 AM Reply   
find a deeper lake
Old     (piper907)      Join Date: Dec 2011       09-27-2014, 11:51 AM Reply   
what he said^^^
Old     (masongardner)      Join Date: Jan 2014       09-27-2014, 12:10 PM Reply   
Too shallow. It kills the wave. Gotta go deeper (hehe)
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-27-2014, 5:30 PM Reply   
The are a few common misconceptions here. First find the deepest part of the lake, and find an area that the bottom doesn't change. It is when the bottom/depth changes that a shallow lake is problematic. At depths less than 8-10 feet you need a more or less constant depth to run in and build the wave, if it gets deeper or shallower during the course the wave will drop out.

You also need weight in the bow.

Nick
Old     (CarbonSurf)      Join Date: Jun 2014       09-28-2014, 6:32 AM Reply   
I got it dialed in and documented all the setups. Will post via Google docs with pics.
The setup that works for regular and goofy for 4-8ft lake depth avg 6.
Regular / port back & front 100% + add 750lb sack full passenger seat, starboard back 50% for counterbalance, taps at 4-5, speed 8-9mph, gas 100%, w/o surf platform.
Goofy / Starboard back and front 100% + add 750lb sack full behind driver seat, port back 50% for counterbalance, taps at 4-5, speed 8-9mph, ,gas 100%, w/o surf platform.
I'm going to verify the speed with my GPS speed could be off if it is that is what could have been throwing us off in tuning the surf.
It took about 3hrs to test and document almost all the configurations but was worth the time.
I might retest with the surf platform back on to see the effect now it's working.

Last edited by CarbonSurf; 09-28-2014 at 6:38 AM. Reason: add goofy
Old     (CarbonSurf)      Join Date: Jun 2014       09-28-2014, 10:09 AM Reply   
Here is the link to the PDF for the Testing we had time to do on the Z1
http://goo.gl/g88sU8
Old     (Iceberg)      Join Date: Dec 2011       09-28-2014, 4:16 PM Reply   
We noticed a similar result when the bottom would change using an Enzo 240 (friend's boat); however, the wave always looked good but the push would change until restabilized. Even getting a few small kid to move to the bow seemed to have a positive affect on the push. Under 5' the wave did drop off in size. The funny thing was, the wave wasn't excessively better in very deep water except for being more consistent. He has the Enzo sac full and either a 750 or 400 on the port side with the center full and lately the 400 sac up in the front with maybe some counter-balance. It is listed to the rub rail! Compare that to my boat where I need a minimum of 7' or more to get a good wave. His lake is shallow so he is happy to not have to travel to a deeper lake. My favourite lake is 15'-45' deep where we surf in about 15-20' of water with a smooth bottom.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       09-28-2014, 10:21 PM Reply   
We used to ride in an area that ranged anywhere between 6 feet and 15 feet. The wake was fine anywhere about 10 feet, but when you hit 8-9 feet or lower, you could not only visually see the wake go away, but you would lose a lot of the push. Most of the time you would end up losing it so much you would just fall back unless you were like right on the platform and it dropped down more pretty quickly.
Since those days, we moved to a new spot on the river that is consistently 40-80 feet and have a consistent wake all the time. Depth is definitely a factor.